The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2014 302S/302R updates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This thread is for nerdy discussion of updates to the Boss race cars for the 2014 season for both Pirelli and Conti series. I'll start:

1926246_10152317159997044_803675130_o.jpg

I spy:

* Holy end-plates, Batman!
* A giant hole in the side of the car.

I reached out to Capaldi and he said it was mice. ::)

That exhaust is cool, but less attainable for us street/track folk. From a cost/simplicity standpoint, you can't beat dumping the exhaust before the rear axle. I wonder what the reason for routing them out the side is. Aero benefits?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
neema said:
That exhaust is cool, but less attainable for us street/track folk. From a cost/simplicity standpoint, you can't beat dumping the exhaust before the rear axle. I wonder what the reason for routing them out the side is. Aero benefits?

Probably to prevent the exhaust from getting plugged when you get cornholed by another car. I have also heard that rear impacts tend to break off the header studs because the load travels up the exhaust system :-/

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^That totally makes sense. I always thought it was for ground clearance to the floorpan.

I'd love to see more pics Jimmy...

As for the wing end plates - They're well placed to prevent the air that spills over the sail panels/B-pillar from reducing lift (and of course the tip vortices that it would generate on its own).

ArizonaBOSS said:
Probably to prevent the exhaust from getting plugged when you get cornholed by another car. I have also heard that rear impacts tend to break off the header studs because the load travels up the exhaust system :-/

Makes sense if the exhaust is routed all the way to the rear, but don't the 302S cars dump the exhaust before the axle?

Grant 302

LS110 said:
Am I seeing it correct that the front air splitter is lowered by about an inch??

Also looks like it's leveled compared to the street cars with the stock rake. So I think the spacer tapers narrower to the rear.

I don't think to splitter is, also if you notice the wing uprights are leaned back to where the connection is about 1" further to the rear than last year. More leverage over the rear axle for the wing and more air going under the wing with the new side boards/end plates.

I'm dying to find the time to make a spacer/splitter like that. I've always noticed that if the splitter were mounted ~1" lower that it would be at the same level as the rubber air dam under the bumper. It's like subliminal messaging from Ford.

I've seen garden/lawn edging used too. And thin aluminum sheet.

Grant 302

neema said:
I'm dying to find the time to make a spacer/splitter like that. I've always noticed that if the splitter were mounted ~1" lower that it would be at the same level as the rubber air dam under the bumper. It's like subliminal messaging from Ford.

I've seen garden/lawn edging used too. And thin aluminum sheet.

Shhh...only the GTs have that ABS air dam! ;)

Jimmy Pribble said:
This thread is for nerdy discussion of updates to the Boss race cars for the 2014 season for both Pirelli and Conti series. I'll start:

1926246_10152317159997044_803675130_o.jpg

I spy:

* Holy end-plates, Batman!
* A giant hole in the side of the car.

I reached out to Capaldi and he said it was mice. ::)

I don't think that exhaust is legal. Guess we'll find out next weekend.

neema said:
Makes sense if the exhaust is routed all the way to the rear, but don't the 302S cars dump the exhaust before the axle?

They come with what is basically a GT500 exhaust. Mine dumps in front of my axle, but Vorshlag did that for me. Saved a TON of weight.

TMO Supporting Vendors