The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2021 GT500 CFTP Sway bar Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lindale, Texas
I have a 2021 GT500 CFTP car that I do a lot of HPDE events with. It's all oem except for Vorshlag brake cooling deflectors and when I'm on the track I run a squared setup with 20x11.5 Apex wheels with 315/30-20 SC2 tires on them.

I'm pretty well schooled on S197's but not so much on S550s.... is it considered worth it to upgrade the sway bars on this car? If so, any recommendations?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I have a 2021 GT500 CFTP car that I do a lot of HPDE events with. It's all oem except for Vorshlag brake cooling deflectors and when I'm on the track I run a squared setup with 20x11.5 Apex wheels with 315/30-20 SC2 tires on them.

I'm pretty well schooled on S197's but not so much on S550s.... is it considered worth it to upgrade the sway bars on this car? If so, any recommendations?
@Stan Whitney has played with his set up on his 500. Good point of reference.
I’m assuming OEM springs?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lindale, Texas
@Stan Whitney has played with his set ups on his 500. Good point of reference.
I’m assuming OEM springs?
Yes, OEM springs, had not thought about those yet :). I'm willing to do springs if they'll help. I'll see if I can get in touch with Stan, I think I've actually seen his car at ECR in Decatur, Tx before.

Bay Area
I know of a few guys running Steeda Sway bars with Cortex or MMR Adjustable end links. I don't know what they are running for springs but they are still using the magride. If I had to guess I would assume FP or Steeda.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Hi, I've played with both bmr and steeda springs and bars. The oem bars are actually decent, just lack adjustability. Steeda's massive (38mm) front bar is the only one that is meaningfully stiffer than oem. I like it paired with their standard 25mm rear bar. The 19mm competition rear bar I think causes too much push mid corner and exit. Feels safe but lap times suffer.

Springs are a bigger bang for the buck. If you can handle a firmer ride, then the steeda dual rates will really help settle the car. Less dive and roll, more planted than the cftp springs which are a bit on the soft side.

My setup:
Steeda springs
38mm front bar, 25mm rear
20x11.5 square, nankang 325 crs square
front camber around 3-3.2, 0toe
rear camber 2.5 - slight toe in - cftp spec
DSC sport shock controller

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lindale, Texas
Hey Stan, thanks for great info there!
I think I'll try the Steeda springs first and see what kind of improvement that gets me.

Are the Steeda camber plates a good improvement over the oem CFTP plates? I think I only got -2.6 or something like that from the oem plates.

I run the Apex 20x11.5 squared setup with 315 Cup2 tires and a 31mm spacer up front. Do you feel that the Nankang 325 square setup is an improvement over the Cup2s? I'm about due for new track tires so would do the Nankangs if they are a better option.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
You would need to slot the strut-knuckle mount or open up the strut tower and use an aftermarket camber plate like steeda or vorshlag to get more camber.
While doing the spring install is a good time to slot the stut-knuckle - just needs 1mm to add 0.5-0.75 degrees.

I was never able to beat my nankang times with cup2's. The nankangs have a broader window (more laps) before they get hot and greasy, and last longer (heat cycles - fast til they cord). They are a good, fast tire on our cars. I use a 20mm spacer on the front to fit the 325's.

strut slotting.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lindale, Texas
You would need to slot the strut-knuckle mount or open up the strut tower and use an aftermarket camber plate like steeda or vorshlag to get more camber.
While doing the spring install is a good time to slot the stut-knuckle - just needs 1mm to add 0.5-0.75 degrees.

I was never able to beat my nankang times with cup2's. The nankangs have a broader window (more laps) before they get hot and greasy, and last longer (heat cycles - fast til they cord). They are a good, fast tire on our cars. I use a 20mm spacer on the front to fit the 325's.

ssdssds

Just verifying, these are the springs you run? https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-8244-gt500-magneride-dual-rate-ultimate-handling-lowering-springs

I'm going to order a set and start with those. I'll slot out that knuckle as well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Just another option to consider is AJ Hartman spring package. At least you can swap springs rates in and out without buying a whole new set.
You can change ride height and corner balance

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel