The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 @4o6racing Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I WANT IT.....how do I get?
We can probably make that happen :)

Although I don’t have any extras cut at the moment, and I won’t be able to for a few weeks.

What color do you want, and I suppose if there are other cool enough kids (I’ll let Nikko, Tommy and Ashley decide who is cool enough 😝) I’ll make a bunch for those folks as well and can ship em out. Maybe throw a few bucks my way for shipping, I’d appreciate that.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Although I don’t have any extras cut at the moment, and I won’t be able to for a few weeks.

What color do you want, and I suppose if there are other cool enough kids (I’ll let Nikko, Tommy and Ashley decide who is cool enough 😝) I’ll make a bunch for those folks as well and can ship em out. Maybe throw a few bucks my way for shipping, I’d appreciate that.
let me think about where to put it....carbon wing but white paint....I'll just probably buy several in both black and white.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Happy to pay whatever you need, you should be making something for your time. PM me when you are ready and I'll have a count for you.
No hurry, Im down for the count anyway...

Happy to pay whatever you need, you should be making something for your time. PM me when you are ready and I'll have a count for you.
No hurry, Im down for the count anyway...
Will do! And don’t worry about my time. Time is free for fellow Mustang folks. I try and pay it forward as I have had plenty of help along the way.

Decided at the last minute to try out a local time trial group dedicated to domestic machinery. American Muscle Cup Round 3 at Willow Springs, Big Willow track. Was hoping to push the 1:30 barrier - new PB of 1:32.4 was all I had for the day. Good for P2 in the Modified class. Really great group of people all around. Huge turn out of Mustangs and easily the most S197’s I’ve seen at a single track day. Counting the minutes to Auto Club Speedway with Speed Ventures next weekend!

View attachment 59459
Very nice.. what are the basic rules for your class? i can look it up now based on that cool plaque.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I've got a cutter and like 10 feet of matte white heavy duty vvinyl and black 3m 1080 if somebody gives me the dimensions/font and pays the postage.

Round 6 of Mustang Drivers Club

Speed Ventures decided to mix it up a bit and scheduled Round 6 on a rare 13CCW day at Buttonwillow. I’ve run a couple different clockwise configurations, but never CCW. Talk about a confidence killer! For some reason, the learning curve on Buttonwillow reverse config seemed steeper. Spent the first 2 sessions trying to find a rhythm, amidst a lot of traffic and yellow flags. Managed to go sub 2 mins in the second session and was really looking forward to the 3rd session to clean things up and lower that time. I think because everyone was learning the config, the group was still trying to sort out the faster cars to the front as guys continued picking up pace. Only got a few laps in before black flag all. Hopes of catching a clean lap further dashed with the cars all grouped up on hot pit again. First flying lap after we resumed and going for the 3-4 upshift on the front straight, the engine free-revved once the clutch was released. Shifted back into 3rd and it actually engaged, so limped it around the track staying in the same gear. Just before pit entrance I tried shifting down into 2nd. At this point, all gears would free-rev with each try. Coasted into the paddock and loaded up.

I was sitting P2 to @Tri-bar going into the last session, with less than 0.1 needed to move up. Neither of us improved, but on the last lap of the session, a fellow competitor found the hero-lap he needed and leap frogged Ashley and I into P1. The top 3 spots on the podium were separated by less than 0.3 sec!! Still a tight battle for the championship with 2 events left - it’s gonna come down to Buttonwillow in December!

Congrats to @Tri-bar for P2 and @LIGISTX for P4 in class

View attachment 90097

Also thanks to @LIGISTX for the awesome paddock shot!
View attachment 90098
I should probably check this forum more often 😂.

Congrats again on P3!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Very nice.. what are the basic rules for your class? i can look it up now based on that cool plaque.
Unfortunately American Muscle Cup fizzled out after the 2020 season. Speed Ventures started a Mustang specific series last year, which has been well received with close to 40 different drivers competing this year.

Here’s a copy of the MDC classing form. Your total points become your handicap, which gets added to your raw time. Seems to work pretty well as we’ve had a few podiums this year decided by less than 3 tenths!

IMG_8627.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
NASA TT - Round 8
Buttonwillow 25 CCW

Back to Buttonwillow for the 2nd to last weekend of the season. This time on a unique configuration and direction - 25 CCW. Since Mustang Driver Club ran 13 CCW a few weeks back, I had a preview of running a majority of the track “backwards”. As Adam mentioned above, it was unseasonably warm with 99 degree highs both days. Clean sessions early on in the day would be critical. The schedule wasn’t very TT friendly either, with Saturday’s first competition session going off at noon. I ended up with a good grid position from the morning warm up session, and put a clean flyer of 1:57.1 on the board - 2nd fastest time of the day and held up for P1 in class. Parked the car for the afternoon and focused on being ready for day 2.

I was really looking forward to the cool Sunday morning session. Rolled off 2nd on grid and felt like I left enough cushion ahead for a clean flyer. The gap closed up at the end of the long straightaway, which caused a slight checkup before the turn. Finished the rest of the lap clean, but only improved on Saturday’s time by a tenth, but good enough for fastest TT time of the day. With the heat setting in, everyone struggled to find time and the 1:57.02 held up for P1 in class.

The freshened-up Tremec shifted better than it ever has, thanks to the Synchrotech full-carbon blocker ring setup on all 6 gears. I also updated some internal bits from Liberty Gears, with billet interlock and bolts, bronze shifter bushing and new bronze shift fork pads. All things mechanical are in a really good place to finish the season strong!

IMG_8625.jpeg

IMG_8624.jpeg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

I am interested in a set, white would be perfect. How do I play?

Unfortunately American Muscle Cup fizzled out after the 2020 season. Speed Ventures started a Mustang specific series last year, which has been well received with close to 40 different drivers competing this year.

Here’s a copy of the MDC classing form. Your total points become your handicap, which gets added to your raw time. Seems to work pretty well as we’ve had a few podiums this year decided by less than 3 tenths!

View attachment 90560
That looks like a lot of fun.. interestingly you can just look at the penalty points to see what mods work the best!

That looks like a lot of fun.. interestingly you can just look at the penalty points to see what mods work the best!
The real way to win…. If I just Coyote swap my s197 v6. That is by technically, as far as I can figure, the best possible way to game the current points system for MDC.

Now, obviously, if someone actually did that, we’d have to adjust the points a bit. But as the rules stand, that’s the best current way to play the game haha.

CA
NASA TT - Round 8
Buttonwillow 25 CCW

Back to Buttonwillow for the 2nd to last weekend of the season. This time on a unique configuration and direction - 25 CCW. Since Mustang Driver Club ran 13 CCW a few weeks back, I had a preview of running a majority of the track “backwards”. As Adam mentioned above, it was unseasonably warm with 99 degree highs both days. Clean sessions early on in the day would be critical. The schedule wasn’t very TT friendly either, with Saturday’s first competition session going off at noon. I ended up with a good grid position from the morning warm up session, and put a clean flyer of 1:57.1 on the board - 2nd fastest time of the day and held up for P1 in class. Parked the car for the afternoon and focused on being ready for day 2.

I was really looking forward to the cool Sunday morning session. Rolled off 2nd on grid and felt like I left enough cushion ahead for a clean flyer. The gap closed up at the end of the long straightaway, which caused a slight checkup before the turn. Finished the rest of the lap clean, but only improved on Saturday’s time by a tenth, but good enough for fastest TT time of the day. With the heat setting in, everyone struggled to find time and the 1:57.02 held up for P1 in class.

The freshened-up Tremec shifted better than it ever has, thanks to the Synchrotech full-carbon blocker ring setup on all 6 gears. I also updated some internal bits from Liberty Gears, with billet interlock and bolts, bronze shifter bushing and new bronze shift fork pads. All things mechanical are in a really good place to finish the season strong!

View attachment 90551

View attachment 90550
who's the dude who ran a 5:39 😭😭😭

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
who's the dude who ran a 5:39 😭😭😭
A fellow TT3 driver backed his Porsche 944 into the inside wall coming onto the main straight at the end of his first hot lap. The guys behind him were red flagged and didn’t get to complete their hotlap before being moved to hot pits. Once released, I believe Taylor just drove around to pit exit and called it a day.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SoCal
A fellow TT3 driver backed his Porsche 944 into the inside wall coming onto the main straight at the end of his first hot lap. The guys behind him were red flagged and didn’t get to complete their hotlap before being moved to hot pits. Once released, I believe Taylor just drove around to pit exit and called it a day.
That last turn onto the front straight (Sunrise) was a problem all weekend. There were 3 incidents of drivers dropping a wheel at the exit of Sunrise, which causes the car to rotate and head straight for the pit lane wall (we ran Race #25 config)

A sports racer went into the tire barrier at the end of I5, having failed to slow in time for Off Ramp.

It was a busy weekend in the tower.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
That last turn onto the front straight (Sunrise) was a problem all weekend. There were 3 incidents of drivers dropping a wheel at the exit of Sunrise, which causes the car to rotate and head straight for the pit lane wall (we ran Race #25 config)

A sports racer went into the tire barrier at the end of I5, having failed to slow in time for Off Ramp.

It was a busy weekend in the tower.
Open cockpit into a tire barrier is no bueno. Any word on how the driver is doing?

TMO Supporting Vendors