The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A pound here..a pound there

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ recently won T1 in his Phoenix Performance mustang, the car ran 180 through the tri oval just prior to braking, which was sort of a first. During the test days the car blew a right front tire damaging the fender and wiring harness (and fortunately prior to my arrival). Hoosier made some recommendations, which we may..or may not have followed.
The point is this, in the advanced tire topic thread I was trying to get you guys to create a scale or gradient of tire pressures vs ambient air temperature, a few did, with good results, the others...well not so much.
You should be running nitrogen in your tires and, if you follow the recommendations on that thread you won't need more than a 10 gallon tank to take to the races, the big bottle can stay at home.
During the practice and qualifying sessions we cultivated a set of scuff tires for the race, the day of the even we still weren't decided to run the scuffs or stickers, but decided to run the A7 scuffs. I figured the temp / pressures out, basically exactly according to the method in that thread.
The tires lasted 14 laps and AJ ran away with the race, the following BMW blew the tires off the car and Mustangs finished 1,2, and 3.
I doubt the tires would have made more than 1 more lap, there were thumb size blisters all the way around, IF we (me) had failed to create the correct temp/pressure graph, IF AJ hadn't done a great job of saving the tires, IF the race had been 1 more lap and IF the temperature had been 10 degrees higher, we wouldn't be celebrating, we might have been scraping the car off the wall.

Just sayin'
'

Great job Rob and congratulations to AJ on another championship!

Does anyone happen to have a link to that thread? It sounds pretty interesting.

Congrats on the win and the championship! It is always an amazing feeling when all of the hard work and effort comes together in a championship.

No we use one of these, and use the air compressor to run it.

http://www.tsracing.com/store/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=5824&CATID=3

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looks like the answer to my question is "NO", based on this video. Look at the car lift up and hook in T2!!! Also 177mph on the banking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB7TbFNkibU

Wow. The application of throttle is just brutal. Having driven the track many times, I'm genuinely impressed.

Actually we did run a rear swaybar, it was tiny, Wastons 1/2" bar. It carried the LF wheel for 500 feet exiting turn 1, and for almost 500 feet exiting turn 6, yes it set it down briefly for the 1-2 shift... haha.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Looks like the answer to my question is "NO", based on this video. Look at the car lift up and hook in T2!!! Also 177mph on the banking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB7TbFNkibU
Yea that's a flying lap right there. Our cars are such aero bricks I didn't think they could go that fast. :p

AJ congratulations on another T1 championship!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ajaquilante said:
Actually we did run a rear swaybar, it was tiny, Wastons 1/2" bar. It carried the LF wheel for 500 feet exiting turn 1, and for almost 500 feet exiting turn 6, yes it set it down briefly for the 1-2 shift... haha.
Glad you joined our forum AJ. Best of luck next season and keep running Mustangs.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors