The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ABS Module

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an FR / FP ABS Module.

Is the bracket necessary? What are the benefits and drawbacks of getting or not getting it? If it's as simple as needing to make a basic bracket to attach it to the chassis I can probably handle that, but if it's important I don't want to skimp.

Also, I couldn't find any good info on the "hydraulics" option available on the updated module. What does it do? Is it compatible with a street boss (non R/S)? If so, is it worth the extra money?

Sorry but one more question...wanna make sure I get the right one :). I've read that the updated module may trigger a lot more lights / chimes in the car. I still drive my car to the track and occasionally around town, so I'd like to get some input on how annoying the chimes are ( I can deal with the dash lights). Do the performance benefits of the updated version vs the older one outweigh the drawbacks of the lights and chimes that have to dealt with when street driving?

Thanks in advance for any info / opinions provided.

Sean's

I'd like to know the main differences between the old and new part modules, along with the chime and nuisances, as well!

This will most likely be my next upgrade.

Sean, I do know that the module provides a more aggressive rear bite, which seemed to burn rear pads really quickly. So, if you do upgrade, have spare rear pads.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I believe the newer CA module is calibrated for more tire profiles and fitments (like the pirelli setups in PWC that weren't always square). There were some bugs worked out as well.

There's some differences in how the dash lights up between the older and newer modules but both are done to make it clear that it is a racing part. (the excuse is many racecars don't have the factory dash).

I had a good link with info on this, but at least can provide a summary instead.

--- These threads may shed some light on your questions:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3740.msg58316#msg58316
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4314.0

Here’s my condensed summary of the above threads and my additions after more research:

The FR / FP ABS Module used in the Boss 302R/S was originally developed for the 2011 Ford Racing 302R. The part numbers are M-2353-B & M-2353-C. The difference between the two is the “B” part includes the “bracket”. The “bracket” includes the ABS distribution manifold block (shiny aluminum square block) and the stamped steel bracket to attach the ABS manifold inside the engine compartment. Part number M-2353-C is only the ABS electronics module that attaches to the outside of the ABS distribution manifold block.

The ABS electronics module is programmed to completely turn off Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control – ABS is retained. With the module installed neither Traction Control nor Vehicle Stability Control can be turned on. Reportedly the front/rear brake bias has been tweaked to give more braking to the rear brakes. Also the threshold to initiate the ABS system has been increased to better accommodate sticky racing tires. The quantitative changes in brake bias and the ABS initiation threshold are generally not known outside of Ford Racing / Performance.

The last batch of parts M-2353-B & M-2353-C were loaded with the wrong program – some sources report the program for the FR500C Mustang was loaded instead of the program for the Boss 302R. The manufacturing dates for the last batch are thought to be July 2013 through October 2013. In late 2013 Ford Racing updated the parts to include additional ABS programing to accommodate different racing tire configurations, including front/rear tires size staggering. The revised part numbers are M-2353-BA & M-2353-CA.

Ford Racing depleted their inventory of good M-2353-C modules sometime in early 2013. The M-2353-C modules were on backorder until the last batch loaded with the wrong program was released in July 2013 – October 2013. Finding a new M-2353-B & M-2353-C is like finding a needle in a haystack – some FR/FP dealers and suppliers may have old stock in their inventory. In January this year I bought an August 2012 manufactured M-2353-B from dealer who had one left in stock.

Driving with the M-2353-C installed is similar to turning off TC/SC using the button on the console. The TC/SC nannies are turned off and the dash “TC/SC OFF” light is turned on.

Driving with the M-2353-CA is much more intrusive. Besides the “TC/SC OFF” light being turned on both the red “Brake” light and the amber “TC/SC Malfunction” lights are turned on. For the 2012's - In the message center you will see “Check Brake System” which can be cleared with the Reset button. About every 10 to 20 minutes you will hear a chime and the “Check Brake System” light will come back on. Again these can be cleared by pressing the Reset button. Edit: reference posts #107 / #111 / #121 by VooDoo Child21 & Black Boss, page 5, https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4314.0

All the additional lights, message and chimes were added by FR/FP to emphasize the M-2353-BA & M-2353-CA parts are off road parts intended for race cars only. The race cars (Boss 302R/S) have a different wiring harness without the dash warning lights and chime. Functional ABS brake and TC/SC off performance of the BA & CA modules in a street car is not impacted despite all the extra warnings.

F.D. Sako said:
Thanks for the detailed summary!

Just for additional clarification, did the BA/CA modules have the correct 302R software?

Yes - the BA/CA software is the new and improved 302R software to accommodate additional tire combos and to fix/tweak some to the settings in the 2011 software version. Exactly what those fixes/tweaks are is generally not known outside of FR/FP and insiders of the racing community.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
captdistraction said:
This will be of interest to me, since I have the factory dash. The lights are easy to disable, but the chime is something I'm going to have to deal with.

So are you getting a continuous chime? Mine gives me a warning chime when I turn the key on and then the message screen in the center of my gauges pops up with a "Check Brake System" message that I can't clear but no other chimes.

Tucson302 said:
So are you getting a continuous chime? Mine gives me a warning chime when I turn the key on and then the message screen in the center of my gauges pops up with a "Check Brake System" message that I can't clear but no other chimes.

So it locks the center screen and prevents you from monitoring coolant temps?
I don't have a separate coolant gauge, so I've been relying on the center info screen. That's a bummer, if it locks it!

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
F.D. Sako said:
So it locks the center screen and prevents you from monitoring coolant temps?
I don't have a separate coolant gauge, so I've been relying on the center info screen. That's a bummer, if it locks it!

No it doesn't lock. I don't have the stock steering wheel anymore so I can't click the little ok button to clear any messages. I have like 12 of them that will forever be on my screen! :mad:

Cherno134 said:
--- These threads may shed some light on your questions:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3740.msg58316#msg58316
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4314.0

Here’s my condensed summary of the above threads and my additions after more research:

The FR / FP ABS Module used in the Boss 302R/S was originally developed for the 2011 Ford Racing 302R. The part numbers are M-2353-B & M-2353-C. The difference between the two is the “B” part includes the “bracket”. The “bracket” includes the ABS distribution manifold block (shiny aluminum square block) and the stamped steel bracket to attach the ABS manifold inside the engine compartment. Part number M-2353-C is only the ABS electronics module that attaches to the outside of the ABS distribution manifold block.

The ABS electronics module is programmed to completely turn off Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control – ABS is retained. With the module installed neither Traction Control nor Vehicle Stability Control can be turned on. Reportedly the front/rear brake bias has been tweaked to give more braking to the rear brakes. Also the threshold to initiate the ABS system has been increased to better accommodate sticky racing tires. The quantitative changes in brake bias and the ABS initiation threshold are generally not known outside of Ford Racing / Performance.

The last batch of parts M-2353-B & M-2353-C were loaded with the wrong program – some sources report the program for the FR500C Mustang was loaded instead of the program for the Boss 302R. The manufacturing dates for the last batch are thought to be July 2013 through October 2013. In late 2013 Ford Racing updated the parts to include additional ABS programing to accommodate different racing tire configurations, including front/rear tires size staggering. The revised part numbers are M-2353-BA & M-2353-CA.

Ford Racing depleted their inventory of good M-2353-C modules sometime in early 2013. The M-2353-C modules were on backorder until the last batch loaded with the wrong program was released in July 2013 – October 2013. Finding a new M-2353-B & M-2353-C is like finding a needle in a haystack – some FR/FP dealers and suppliers may have old stock in their inventory. In January this year I bought an August 2012 manufactured M-2353-B from dealer who had one left in stock.

Driving with the M-2353-C installed is similar to turning off TC/SC using the button on the console. The TC/SC nannies are turned off and the dash “TC/SC OFF” light is turned on.

Driving with the M-2353-CA is much more intrusive. Besides the “TC/SC OFF” light being turned on both the red “Brake” light and the amber “TC/SC Malfunction” lights are turned on. For the 2012's - In the message center you will see “Check Brake System” which can be cleared with the Reset button. About every 10 to 20 minutes you will hear a chime and the “Check Brake System” light will come back on. Again these can be cleared by pressing the Reset button. Edit: reference posts #107 / #111 / #121 by VooDoo Child21 & Black Boss, page 5, https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4314.0

All the additional lights, message and chimes were added by FR/FP to emphasize the M-2353-BA & M-2353-CA parts are off road parts intended for race cars only. The race cars (Boss 302R/S) have a different wiring harness without the dash warning lights and chime. Functional ABS brake and TC/SC off performance of the BA & CA modules in a street car is not impacted despite all the extra warnings.

Thanks Cherno. Great write-up.

Does anyone know if the 302r module can be used in a sn95 mustang? I have a 2003 cobra i am building to compete nationally in scca solo esp class. The stock abs is awful and a big disadvantage compaired to the new mustangs and Camaros i am racing against.

TMO Supporting Vendors