The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Advice needed.... Please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
In a large part due to the invasion of serious American muscle cars here in Chile ( thanks NAFTA LOL!!). The Motor head world in Chile has had a great year with many more people interested in racing.

The oldest and most serious racing group has made a new class that is divided into two groups of cars. the Pro class has all out race cars and a Mclaren mp4 etc while the Amateur class is all over the place., The class division is set by the time 1:10 at our main track. My time is 1:10.5. So far about 30 cars have signed up. The Rules are incredibly simple...The car has to meet safety rules (roll cage , fire etc) and have a roof.....thats it! apart from the time division.

The fastest car is a Ultimate from the UK wieghing 950 kilos with 600 hp and a time of around 1:05.....

Is their any chance of a Mustang like mine, with a future setup of... the full cortex setup (SLA front end and floating rear axle etc)and some 500 rwhp (Cobrajet setup with cams), and monster Hoosiers would be able to lower its time by 5 seconds?? Spending 20,000 bucks to get the car that fast.... (assuming the pilot has it in him...be kind...)Or....

Would it be more sensible to just keep the cars more or less as is and fight it out in the amateur class of 1:10 plus trying not to go tooo fast...

26219699_1485461051502448_4307045406911544754_n.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol, I already looked, the used ones are roofless, so it cant enter...... The track record of 59 seconds is by a radical in any case

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I know its a little far fetched but seeing the new Mustang cars going up against the Mclarens in the Conti series made me wonder.....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Looks like I will just wing it and see where I will end up. Its one thing to get a good time in time trails, another thing entirely to do it with a hoard of cars that dont want to move over.... Or are finding you in their way! Maybe I will lower my redline to 7000 and keep the 295/30-18 R7"s to make sure I do not cross the line of 1:10. 315's would probably put me over the limit and at the bottom of the list.

But I did make a cortex price list that was fun to look at!! Maybe if I sold my wife's car.......

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
"be able to lower its time by 5 seconds??"
I agree the easy answer is no. But it also depends on what it took to get you to 1:10. If you already have springs, bars, camber, tires, decent engine, good overall car setup and balance and good driving, then it will be very tough to gain another 5 sec.

I'd stick with the slower class. The main problem with open rules (or run what you brung type classes) is that guys keep bringing more and more. Its very likely that 5 seconds won't be enough. Someone else (probably many others) are already planning to bring more power, lighter cars, the biggest A7's they can fit, etc. If the class becomes popular it will turn into a spending war.

Plus you can't use american road racing as a real comparison of cars. There are always many levels of competition equalization rules that can end up on the track as a minivan being equal to a McLaren. :)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I hope that the rules get added too in the future... As it is there are some very very wealthy players coming to this event.... It will be fun as both classes will be run at the same time. So you will see 300hp/700kg Honda crx next to MP4 finding traffic behind everything from lancias to Mustangs and Camaros. For the moment I will stay in the aptly named AMATEUR class!! And hope I dont get bumped up.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
A GT350 with less track prep than yours can do it. An S550 GT with engine bolt ons, (350 intake, headers, exhaust) can also do it with coil overs. Your S197 will pick up some time and may get there with the cambered rear and mods mentioned but I still believe the S550 chassis has more room to grow , especially since Ford and Multimatic and KohR are strongly developing the GT4 program.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
In most cases you will not be able to compete with an "unlimited" car in a production-based car, or if you can, it will be a Pyrrhic victory for your wallet.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
pyr·rhic
ˈpirik/
  1. (of a victory) won at too great a cost to have been worthwhile for the victor.
Nice word, I had to look that up.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have had for too many Pyrrhic victories lately....... Been more of a Macedonian instead of good old practical Roman! they would have just bought the dam radical....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Do whatever is the most fun and won't break the bank.. A local autocross group here in Fla (FAST) has rules similar to that, I have to run against Lotus 7 clones with LS engines in them. So, since that bar is unreasonable, I just have fun.

Yes, I may have overlooked the fun factor a bit... winning is not everything... sniff sniff.... Just happy to see the competition getting better and better... maybe I can pass a Mclaren once! That would make my day!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
^
This is me except I have yet to master the won't or don't "Break the Bank" concept.
First....I would have to have a bank....then I would surely break it.
Which is probably why I'll never have a bank....BUT....I do have PayPal!

TMO Supporting Vendors