AeroCatch Hood Pins

Discussion in 'Road Racing Forum' started by ddozier, May 16, 2019.

1. ddozier

ddozier TMO Intermediate

It was asked in a different thread if I had additional pics of the hood pins and I did not want to take that thread off topic and this may be helpful to others thinking about doing hood pins.

The place I chose is to allow the recessed latches to be installed in the area of the hood with the least amount of compound contouring, this spot is mostly flat with only one slight contour to the hood. I was able to install them and not deform the hood. This particular spot allows the pins to be installed in the core support and is a much stronger spot for the pins. It also happens to be a part of the hood with three separate pieces of hood material coming together to make a strong structure for the latches to attach to.

Once the pins are installed you use the template to determine the location of the latches and there is a bit of guessing here but it is not hard to see where the latch needs to be. Once you cut the surface of the hood you have another layer under the hood and yet another layer to make the under structure of the hood that needs to be cut. Here are some pics of them and the underside of the hood. I have since added a piece of white wrap material to cover the underside of the hood and make it a more finished look.

I think the sideways placement of the latches get you the least amount of distortion of the top layer of the hood and in my case lined up well with the hood vents from an aesthetic point of view.

Dave

IMG_6428.JPG IMG_6429.JPG IMG_6430.JPG IMG_6431.JPG IMG_6715.JPG IMG_6716.JPG IMG_6717.JPG IMG_6718.JPG IMG_6720.JPG IMG_6721.JPG IMG_6722.JPG

2. gtorpedo

gtorpedo TMO Advanced

Great, thank you! I'm having these installed while my car is in the shop for the motor rebuild, this will be helpful as a reference.

3. ddozier

ddozier TMO Intermediate

The aluminum is not easy to cut if you try and cut it all the way through, I find it easier to score the metal about half way through then bend it back and forth until it snaps. It is quite brittle once it is scored and you wont be fighting the cutting tool as much.

Dave

VoodooBoss and TMSBOSS like this.
  4. gtorpedo

gtorpedo TMO Advanced

I had my aerocatch latches installed at JPC. I understand they had ~6 hours in the job which they only charged a fraction for but I’m very pleased with the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steeda5, ChrisM, Mad Hatter and 3 others like this.
  5. JeffV8

JeffV8 TMO Race

Damn they did a nice job.

6. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Had mine done at Palmer Racing Development and it was no sweat for Dean. He had them done on my Carbon Fiber hood in no time and was quite reasonable. He is near Malvern, Iowa , so anyone in the Heartland , feel free to contact if you want any info on this or other track fabrications done on your Stand?

We do many things at our 3 Ford Stores , but I give Dean his due, as he is a race car fabricator and that is a different art!