The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another oil pan upgrade post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi Guy's, after reading most of the post regarding oil pan upgrade ( 2012 Boss) I think that Moroso and Canton were some of the most popular choices. Unfortunatly I did not find any post that explain the work involved and also the fitment. Basically I would like to know if:

- K-member need to be drop
- Any issues with oil p-up and dip stick
- Any comment / suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stephan

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Both myself and @captdistraction went with the Moroso pan. I think he has the aluminum one, I went with the steel one.

K will need to be dropped (or at least lowered) for the pan to go on.

No issues with fitment, pickup, or dip stick.

Pretty much a plug-and-play modification, just be sure to seal the threads of any un-used plugs with teflon tape or they will leak.

Canton pans need to be modified to avoid contact with windage tray. Unless, you get a new production model.

A member here had his steel moroso pan weld fail and separate, so that narrowed my choice down to the aluminum pan, which I went with.

I went with the oil pan offered through Chicane 23. The pan is made by Armando (he had a long history with Aviad before starting his own company). The pan is a modified coyote pan, so there are no issues with rails not seating and leaking. It also comes with a modified pickup. Finally, it uses the stock low oil level sensor along with the OEM gaskets. Its capacity is 12qts.

http://www.chicane23.com/shop/chicane23-custom-coyote-road-race-oil-pan/

You'll have to drop the K-Member to install it...it fits with the stock k-member though.

DSC01307_zpse2b43667.jpg

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
F.D. Sako said:
Canton pans need to be modified to avoid contact with windage tray. Unless, you get a new production model.

A member here had his steel moroso pan weld fail and separate, so that narrowed my choice down to the aluminum pan, which I went with.

Whoa, I'll have to search for that. I have mine (steel moroso) out currently for the build, had it cleaned up and the welds all look great.

I did some research on this back when i was planning on doing the oil pan install myself. I can't remember where i read this, but apparently you can hold the engine up by using one of these jacks, or a reg jack with a block of wood, at back of the engine where it mounts to the transmission.

Other methods were placing a brace across the strut towers and holding the engine up through straps/chains, which i didn't feel too comfertable doing. At the end i decided to take it to a shop and upgrade the control arm bushings while at it.

F.D. Sako said:

That was my pan that cracked. I installed the aluminum one for sure. You can hang your motor with the Maximum Motorsports brace, that's what I use. It's like $60.00 plus shipping, it works great. It's under the K-Member page.

Tri-bar said:
That was my pan that cracked. I installed the aluminum one for sure. You can hang your motor with the Maximum Motorsports brace, that's what I use. It's like $60.00 plus shipping, it works great. It's under the K-Member page.

Damn, I literally just got a steel moroso pan. What caused the failure? It seems a lot of guys run this pan but haven't heard of one failing. Did it contact anything ?

apex32 said:
Damn, I literally just got a steel moroso pan. What caused the failure? It seems a lot of guys run this pan but haven't heard of one failing. Did it contact anything ?
Not a clue, hair line crack about 3 inches long right where the stump drops. May have bottomed out on the corkscrew grate and cracked it. not really sure.

I went with the Moroso Race Pan. Although I was only able to bolt it up to engine while the engine was up against the car, I check pickup tube to pan clearances and it was within spec. It looks pretty damn good to me. Darren Govoni has the same oil pan along with the BMR K-Member and the BMR A-Arm support brace and he had to have Steve Pufpass make him blocks to clear the A-arm as it would not fit with the Moroso pan.

apex32 said:
Moneybags ;D ;D

Lol, I wish!! I've been holding off to allocate funds to facilitate this. I'm really into getting parts that were engineered with Ford or Ford racing. It's mostly OCD :eek:. I'm slowly transforming my Laguna into what my vision of how it should have come from the factory; 12QT oil pan, 15" Brembos, better oil cooler, bigger radiator (to be honest, the stock boss one is great) and improved air flow through the front grille.

Watson will be modifying the pan so that it has a bung for the low oil sensor.....

BigTaco said:
Watson will be modifying the pan so that it has a bung for the low oil sensor.....

Big money oil pan plus modification costs?!
Think of all the extra stuff you could do with the money saved by getting a perfectly functioning moroso oil pan. You could save a little more by buying the pan from American Muscle using their discount codes.

We do like to spend other people's money, but Boss owners don't let other Boss owners waste money :p

BigTaco said:
Lol, I wish!! I've been holding off to allocate funds to facilitate this. I'm really into getting parts that were engineered with Ford or Ford racing. It's mostly OCD :eek:. I'm slowly transforming my Laguna into what my vision of how it should have come from the factory; 12QT oil pan, 15" Brembos, better oil cooler, bigger radiator (to be honest, the stock boss one is great) and improved air flow through the front grille.

+2

A lot more power N/A, better cooling, better braking, better suspension, cooler hood ;D

F.D. Sako said:
Big money oil pan plus modification costs?!
Think of all the extra stuff you could do with the money saved by getting a perfectly functioning moroso oil pan. You could save a little more by buying the pan from American Muscle using their discount codes.

We do like to spend other people's money, but Boss owners don't let other Boss owners waste money :p

I feel you and thanks so much for watching out for a fellow member!!!

BigTaco said:

Watson will be modifying the pan so that it has a bung for the low oil sensor..

Keep an eye on eBay for this pan. I got mine at 1/2 price the guy bought an Aluminator engine and the pan did not fit his chassis so he offered the pan for sale. I also had Watson modify the pan. Great work!!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors