The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

Auto Club Speedway to be replaced by 1/2 mile short track

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
fontana ca.
20+ Years
I will be a little surprised if they do anything residential due to the fact that the land that the raceway sets on is contaminate. The track sits on the old Kaiser Steel Mill. Back in the early 80's, some of us,(SCCA road whores), were asked to provide some tech advice on a "new race track" being developed by Roger Penske. This became Cal.Speedway. He got this land cheap due to the fact that the cost to clean it up for any other type of commercial or residential use. So I wonder what changed. I hope this does not become a future environmental issue. or maybe it should???

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Brighton, Colorado
HPDE
3-5 Years
IMHO, it's a bad idea but that's only because I'm an anomaly. I like bigger tracks and longer races. No use NASCAR catering to their long tyme fans as the marketing gurus target the younger generations. I think this change to Auto Club is a sign of things to come for other venues as well.

saleen367

TMO Intermediate
MN
It's sad to watch what has become of the west coast ... I'll leave it there.

In the 80's I enjoyed watching because the cars actually took on the shape of the model that was represented. Today, they all look the same with a different decal package. Its like a modern day IROC race that I never had an interest in and still don't today. Super speedways and the wreck fest they have become are another topic all together.

I personally think it would be more entertaining to put roll cages in stock Mustangs, Camaro's and Camry's and let em go at it.
Hey, I can dream ...

TMSBOSS

Epic Contributor
Illinois
HPDE
5-10 Years
I personally think it would be more entertaining to put roll cages in stock Mustangs, Camaro's and Camry's and let em go at it.
Hey, I can dream ...
Agree 100%!!
If the 2022 Nascar next gen car is what they are promising, and the OEMs are demanding, they will be closer to showroom cars than any time since the early 70's. Ford, Toyota and Chevy are demanding their cars look like their cars. Suspension will be struts up front and an IRS in the rear. Motors will get smaller and likely OHC. Trans will be 6 speed and likely have a sequential shifter.

One thing for sure. Without change, NASCAR will not survive.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Minnesota
bummer. It seems for every venue that clubracing and HPDE organizations used fall, two members-only clubs pop up.
Same up here, developer is trying to build a road course country club that the average guy couldn't afford. Looks like a scam on top of it. $275,000 for smallest garage unit. $60,000-200,000 for a membership plus annual "fees". Got to wonder what these guys are thinking. I would build near by before I would ever plunk down that kind of change on a project that will likely go bankrupt.

TMSBOSS

Epic Contributor
Illinois
HPDE
5-10 Years
Autobahn Country Club outside of Joliet is private. They also rent to NASA and SCCA as well as other clubs. And yes, building and buying there is Not for the weak of heart or wallet. They are successful and will likely remain so for years. All depends upon the management.

Last edited:

bob

TMO Advanced
sfo
It's sad to watch what has become of the west coast ... I'll leave it there.
We are losing ACS and maybe if they mismanage Laguna enough that will go bye bye too. But Calclub who owns BRP is building a whole new track next to the current track. So we are going to get two tracks at BRP with multiple configurations on each. Now all we need are decent hotels and some decent food nearby. I'm really tired of willow ranch and Tita's

TMO Supporting Vendors