The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: those with shifter issues, enter now!

Brandon302 said:
Just realized this yesterday, does anyone have sporadic issues getting into first gear, once in a blue moon I will not be able to get into first from a stop and will have to go into 2nd then back into first (assuming this lines things up).

This! When the transmission is cold.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Guess that leaves me out too.....in Canada. It'll be interesting to see what you've come up with though.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

pufferfish said:
the problem with that is once you stop, the only reason to go out of gear is to let go of the clutch while you wait. that allows half of the synchro to spin with the engine and the other stays put, so you lose your tooth alignment. if you go into gear immediately after depressing the clutch, it engages just fine. its when the clutch is depressed for a few seconds and the input shaft stops moving, that you have engagement problems.

i have heard that the synchro teeth on the MT82 have sharp corners on their leading edges. there is a theory that if the edges were rounded off a bit, shifting would get less "nibble" and the synchros would last longer.

i am about to find out how true this is. i have been assembling a full ford tool set to dissect the MT82 and rebuild one. i got the last tool ford calls out in the manual, so i hope to complete the disassembly tomorrow.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Figure out a way to fix the synchro issues and you could clean up.

pufferfish said:
the problem with that is once you stop, the only reason to go out of gear is to let go of the clutch while you wait. that allows half of the synchro to spin with the engine and the other stays put, so you lose your tooth alignment. if you go into gear immediately after depressing the clutch, it engages just fine. its when the clutch is depressed for a few seconds and the input shaft stops moving, that you have engagement problems.

i have heard that the synchro teeth on the MT82 have sharp corners on their leading edges. there is a theory that if the edges were rounded off a bit, shifting would get less "nibble" and the synchros would last longer.

i am about to find out how true this is. i have been assembling a full ford tool set to dissect the MT82 and rebuild one. i got the last tool ford calls out in the manual, so i hope to complete the disassembly tomorrow.

They do have sharp edges. I posted a pic of my second gear synchro here. https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7917.0

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

i have 3 spots left. if you didn't get on the list in the first post, its likely because you have an MGW shifter. Its a very popular shifter indeed! I need to get the last 3 spots filled in with folks with issues and an aftermarket shifter other than the MGW to get the broadest demographic possible. thanks!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

2 SPOTS LEFT. really want to fill those spots with a barton and steeda shifter to get the broadest demographic.

Im not elligable (Canadian), but at the drag strip last Friday I had a 1-2 shift lock out 3 times, and a 2nd-3rd once. I only have a Whiteline tranny insert with the stock shifter. Oh and I beat a 2003 Viper once. lol

my ? is

those who still have all stock stuff but are ready to get a new shifter and/or the whiteline bushing insert, should we wait for whatever you are doing??

In my opion...why would you want to spend your money on items that don't really fix the problem. I'm holding off untill this item comes to market. Good things take time!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

i can't tell you if you should buy parts or not, but this is my experience with it:

i tried the original prototype out on my car with no other shifter products. i found the shifting accuracy increased dramatically. i was able to repeatably powershift (gas pedal matted) 2-3 an astounding 100% of the time, where before i was at about 25% success from a highway on-ramp (this became part of my test loop) and about 60% success on the drag strip. i had issues finding the proper gear during on track heel-toe downshifting about 25% of the time. that is also gone.

the stock shifter was working very well, but i missed the tight and crisp shifting the steeda tri-ax shifter gave me. so, i put the steeda back on and its just so much nicer of an experience. it just feels more direct with a well-built aftermarket shifter.

so, in my experience, a good shifter with this magical new product of mine is a match made in heaven. i would actually like to do my own shifter down the road and do it as a complete package, as i still think there is room for improvement over every shifter on the market today, but thats a major undertaking to do it the way i want it. it will be a while.

i would stay away from the barton bracket or any other manfacturer's variation of it. my doodad does away with these brackets, so you will just end up putting it on ebay. the whiteline insert is a matter of preference. it will not help or hurt shifting with the blowfish solution. don't under any circumstance get the CHE torque limiter. thats just a huge strain on the bellhousing. i think that covers all the "shifting aids".

if your clutch pedal sticks to the floor, that is a different issue. go ahead and find anything you can to fix it. you will want your clutch working well once your shifter starts working right!

those with shifter issues, enter now!

Hmm, I have a Steeda short shifter but haven't installed it (I just wanted the bracket included; got it used). If you think I may be of use if I install the short shifter, I'll try it out. I still get crunchy gears and missed a handful of shifts the last time on track. No whiteline insert.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

Interesting to see it. I would be in but I have a mgw, whiteline and bbr motor mounts already. No shifting issue with my set up I have a wot box for pedal to the floor shifting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

part are all present and accounted for. they have been test fit and fit perfectly (with the OE shifter box). i will have everything boxed up and ready to ship monday...for those without the MGW.

i received my MGW today and its not going to be an easy adaptation. it might take a week or 2 to have parts made to work. testers with MGW's, hang tight.

TMO Supporting Vendors