The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
Most of my deployments were to Diego Garcia, so we were able to sit on the beach and enjoy a cold one any day. But most troops aren't that lucky w/ GO1.

Stay safe, and you'll enjoy the Boss even more when you get home.

Wayne,
Have you had a chance to drive yours since you installed the Blowfish bracket?
I also had an issue getting the upper bracket to move up when installing, but did not loosen the shifter clamps like you did. Am wondering if I need to revise my install steps.
I have a noticeable rattle in my shifter after install in 1st through 3rd & sometimes 4th gear between 2K & 4K.
Cannot hear it with windows down, but can when driving with windows up.
Will work on it more this coming weekend.

aircare84 said:
Wayne,
Have you had a chance to drive yours since you installed the Blowfish bracket?
I also had an issue getting the upper bracket to move up when installing, but did not loosen the shifter clamps like you did. Am wondering if I need to revise my install steps.
I have a noticeable rattle in my shifter after install in 1st through 3rd & sometimes 4th gear between 2K & 4K.
Cannot hear it with windows down, but can when driving with windows up.
Will work on it more this coming weekend.

The noise is because the shifter is right up against the tunnel, see if you can loosen the mount and drop it just a tad.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Just finished installing mine this evening. Took just under one hour from jack stands to washing hands. I only lifted the front of the car and didn't have any issues with the install other than shifting the bracket to one side to torque the 17mm bolts.

I left my Whiteline bushing installed.

Driving impressions tell me that this was an awesome purchase. Made several laps around the local "track" where I can make 2-3 up shifts and downshifts under full throttle. Shifter was definitely well located and I had no issues up or down the gears.

I'll have my Boss at the Mustang Round Up next weekend. Y'all are welcome to try the shifter out...be prepared to order one :)

Great job Steve!

Since Steve is busy making brackets he hasn't had time to answer my question. Those of you who have ordered the Blowfish bracket, what all pieces does it come with? I have an MGW shifter and was wondering if I have to request the adaptor seperately or does it come in the kit whether you order it from Steve or CJ Pony Parts? Thanks!

All the brackets are shipped with the MGW adapter. I have the MGW and that's what I was told. Mine is still in the hands of the postal service.

skwerl

tree hugger
bulldogracer said:
Since Steve is busy making brackets he hasn't had time to answer my question. Those of you who have ordered the Blowfish bracket, what all pieces does it come with? I have an MGW shifter and was wondering if I have to request the adaptor seperately or does it come in the kit whether you order it from Steve or CJ Pony Parts? Thanks!
Asked and answered at least twice earlier in the thread. Everybody gets the MGW adapter.

drano38

Wayne
aircare84, was late last nite when complete, and raining now, so not sure when I'll get out for a test drive.

bulldogracer, look at the last pic of mine above (with the empty beer glass ;) ). The black aluminum piece sitting there is for MGW shifters (I've got stock shifter). So one kit includes multiple mounting options.

John's right, lifting only the front would have been fine, but I wanted plenty of room to work, so I raised the back also.

Ultrakla$$ic

ωιℓℓ ωσяк ƒσя ωнιρρℓє!!!!
Anybody keeping up with which setup produces the least NVH???

Stock shifter + BF Bracket vs. Aftermarket shifter + BF Bracket??? I understand that installation of the bracket is key but some are reporting alot NVH (Marble sounds at speed) through the OEM shifter/ball.

Well, with the stock shifter, you're eliminating the rear bushing, so you have a solid mount between the bracket and shifter. With the MGW, you still have a bushing between the bracket ANS shifter. So, I'm going to assume that MGW may produce less NVH.

I think this is what is sealing the deal for me to do both mods together. I was going to start with the BF Bracket first, but thought if I'm under there I might as well do both. I will be dropping the driveshaft to give me a bit more room to work. I'm a bit claustrophobic to begin with so I don't want to be under there more than is necessary.

I need a lift . . . (car lift that is)

F.D. Sako said:
Well, with the stock shifter, you're eliminating the rear bushing, so you have a solid mount between the bracket and shifter. With the MGW, you still have a bushing between the bracket ANS shifter. So, I'm going to assume that MGW may produce less NVH.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I have the stock shifter (forgot to mention that) and was running a Barton brace (was a whore to remove) with the Whiteline bushing. So far, the BFR bracket with the Whiteline and stock shifter has less vibration than it had with the original setup (stock shifter, whiteline and Barton).

I didn't hear any noise, but I will admit that a) I have no interior in the rear of the car and b) I was driving on new slicks... so rocks and other debris were being kicked up in the wheel wells. There is a subtle vibration in the shifter... but not unbearable and certainly not visually noticeable. Some are far more conscious of those things than I am... but I sleep better at night ;)

My Blowfish Bracket has arrived. It is a thing of beauty. I ordered a set of Ford Racing lower control arms through my dealer. They offered to install the BR bracket at the same time as the control arms so I still have to wait a little bit.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Installed my bracket today. It wasn't all sun shine and unicorns.

I have AHR long tubes and x pipe. The rear o2 sensors won't clear the bracket. Luckily I have an aed tune and the rear sensors are off. So I plugged the bungs with m18 oil pan bolts from the help section at advanced.

So after I get it all to the last part bolt the shifter to the bracket. Bolt won't go in the one hole. Turns out welding splatter was in the hole and fused on. Had to remove everything to drill it out then start over.

So check your holes before you install!

Other than that great piece. I haven't drove it. Car is still apart for gears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my bracket in today but I can't use it since I developed an engine tick. I think it might be a timing chain tick that there is a TSB out on even though it precludes the Boss.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Justin said:
Installed my bracket today. It wasn't all sun shine and unicorns.

I have AHR long tubes and x pipe. The rear o2 sensors won't clear the bracket. Luckily I have an aed tune and the rear sensors are off. So I plugged the bungs with m18 oil pan bolts from the help section at advanced.

So after I get it all to the last part bolt the shifter to the bracket. Bolt won't go in the one hole. Turns out welding splatter was in the hole and fused on. Had to remove everything to drill it out then start over.

So check your holes before you install!

Other than that great piece. I haven't drove it. Car is still apart for gears

Justin
That is funny, I have the ARHs and 3" x pipe and mine clear, I was worried but it does clear with room. Oh maybe because I have 1/2" lowered engine mounts? Would bring the angle of the headers down and the X with it.
Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
steveespo said:
Justin
That is funny, I have the ARHs and 3" x pipe and mine clear, I was worried but it does clear with room. Oh maybe because I have 1/2" lowered engine mounts? Would bring the angle of the headers down and the X with it.
Steve
i have bbr lowering engine mounts. It's like 1/16 from clearing could be a variance is there placement. I could get the stiffler ds loop to fit at all

TMO Supporting Vendors