The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am just trusting that it will arrive. I rarely pay attention to tracking. While I am under there o have more to do:
1. Oil change
2. Adjust Strano bar to middle
3. Uninstall BMR ds loop
4. Zip ties on BR duct hose
5. Install smaller washer fluid reservoir (custom or maybe even a 60s style bag since those are easy to mount)
6. Something important I hope I will remember...

Installed mine this morning in the driveway using jack stands. Once I got the car raised up, only took an hour to install. Easy install, the only step that took some time was raising the upper bracket & shifter housing to get the shifter back to the original height. I measured the shifter height prior to install.
First drive, could notice extra 'buzz' in the shifter, expected that due to the hard rear mount. No noise & not excessive, just a difference.
Shifting was slightly improved, felt like the shifts were more positive, & best part for me, no 3rd lockout or binding above 6K rpm.
I have the stock shifter & had the Energy Suspension rear bushing installed prior. My only issue with shifting had been a binding or complete lockout when going into 3rd gear above 5/6K rpm.
Overall, a worthwhile addition. Kudos to Steve.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I will have to wait to install mine. Still overseas.

I expected to have increased vibration like aircare mentions below..

Should be less with a MGW shifter since they have a rubber lined mount connecting the shifter to the floor. I suspect I will simply turn this over. Should make a smooth mount.

Curious if one could remove the vibration aircare mentioned by using either the Barton two pin rear bracket with the stock shifter??

Has anyone tried the Barton rear mount with Steve's invention yet?

Just finished installing mine. Since I have the MGW, I also switched out the softer rear bracket bushing for the firmer one, while at it.

First impressions during the test drive are positive!
I used to feel a slight hesitation while shifting, it used to feel like it almost wanted to lock me out of gear, specially downshifting from 3-2nd. That hesitation is no longer there and the trans shifts great. Cant wait to test it out at the track in 2 weeks!

As mentioned by others, I noticed a slight vibration increase while holding onto the shifter, which is not a big deal at all.

Thanks Steve for your hard work. Hope to see you out at the track soon.

Sako . . . Any thoughts on the need for MGW with BF Bracket? I have the 2014 MGW sitting in a box and was going to install the BF bracket first to see if that alone was enough of an improvement for me. (Street use / Canyon Carver is most all of what I do. Occasional club track day in the future in the Beginner/Intermediate Group)

Curious if anyone has any info insight on BF Bracket with stock shifter compared to BF bracket AND MGW.

F.D. Sako said:
Just finished installing mine. Since I have the MGW, I also switched out the softer rear bracket bushing for the firmer one, while at it.

I used to feel a slight hesitation while shifting, it used to feel like it almost wanted to lock me out of gear, specially downshifting from 3-2nd. That hesitation is no longer there and the trans shifts great. Cant wait to test it out at the track in 2 weeks!

As mentioned by others, I noticed a slight vibration increase while holding onto the shifter, which is not a big deal at all.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
For anyone that has installed it and had / has the Whiteline transmission bushing... thoughts on leaving it in or removing it? I just watched the install video on CJ Pony Parts website and the bracketry looks substantial enough that the bushing might not be required, and if anything, would lead to more NVH.

JScheier said:
For anyone that has installed it and had / has the Whiteline transmission bushing... thoughts on leaving it in or removing it? I just watched the install video on CJ Pony Parts website and the bracketry looks substantial enough that the bushing might not be required, and if anything, would lead to more NVH.

I would be interested to see some aggressive shifts without the bushing to show how much the shifter will move around. Would be a good advertisement for how much misalignment there is when shifting. I will leave my bushing and motor mounts in, NVH be damned, because race car! Plus I think having the bushing in without motor mounts will stress the stock motor mounts too much. You end up with a lever at the trans mount.

Interested in this as well . . . I have the MGW and Whiteline Bushing in a box awaiting final decision. I was going to start with just the bracket first (as it is the easiest) then decide if either or both the MGW and Whiteline would come next. I think there can only be improvement with the MGW but not sure on the Whiteline.

Any of you Beta testers run the bracket with the bushing and or alternate shifter??

JScheier said:

Calif Boss, when I switched from stock to MGW, I noticed a small reduction in throws, but more importantly the MGW provided a better tactile feel when selecting gears. So IMO, both provide different advantages, and combined it feels like a very solid shifter with little room for lockouts. Now, this is my first manual transmission car, so I can't really compare it to other "better" transmissions.

Now if you want to do each mod separately to see the differences, you can. But if it was me, I'd do everything at once, just because I'm lazy... I'd hold off on the trans bushing though, I don't think it's necessary anymore. It'll just increase NVH with no significant advantage.

Thanks Sako . . . I bought the shifter before I even bought the car knowing it would be the first mod. This was before I found the info on Steve's BF bracket.
I'm like you as well if I'm crawling under the car I'm thinking of doing both mods together. (or maybe I'll have the local Mustang shop do it). I had the car on Race Ramps this weekend doing a Panhard bar and brace install and scooted to where I would need to be for the MGW and BF bracket install and man it's tight under there for my thickness. I would need T-Rex Arms to work in that space.

Anyway thanks again . . .bracket arrives today and MGW sitting in garage for this weekend's install. I think I'll skip the Whiteline bushing for now.

F.D. Sako said:
Calif Boss, when I switched from stock to MGW, I noticed a small reduction in throws, but more importantly the MGW provided a better tactile feel when selecting gears. So IMO, both provide different advantages, and combined it feels like a very solid shifter with little room for lockouts. Now, this is my first manual transmission car, so I can't really compare it to other "better" transmissions.

Now if you want to do each mod separately to see the differences, you can. But if it was me, I'd do everything at once, just because I'm lazy... I'd hold off on the trans bushing though, I don't think it's necessary anymore. It'll just increase NVH with no significant advantage.

BOSSAZ said:
He just doesn't get It! There are many other forums for non Boss owners...if you need the links I'm sure the majority of members here will gladly give you the them!

Umm what is there to get? It was this thread that got Steve all the attention to his product and enabled the first run to sell out. This thread is what prompted me to purchase the unit as soon as the web site listed it. Just because we don't "own" a Boss doesn't mean we can't enjoy the tech on this site. If you truly feel this way about non-boss owners, maybe you should make the site private with VIN verification for access... Darren has a legit point that is being ignored, not to mention a few other customers as well.

F.D. Sako said:

I plan on installing mine this weekend (have the MGW as well). I have read about the up/down adjustment of the bracket in relation to the shifter. Any advise on this?

Bullitt 3309 said:
I plan on installing mine this weekend (have the MGW as well). I have read about the up/down adjustment of the bracket in relation to the shifter. Any advise on this?

Not sure if Steve's instructions stated this, but attach the rear MGW bracket to Steve's MGW adapter first, before going under the car and bolting it to the shifter bracket assembly. Also, as mentioned, I used the firm bushing that came with the MGW, because Steve's stock bracket design is solid and eliminates the rear bushing.

General installation tip. My ratcheting wrench wouldn't fit on the passenger side tunnel (and barely fit on the driver side) so I had to use 2 box wrenches, which put my arms in awkward positions while tightening the 4 bolts. So, I highly recommend you get a 15mm ratcheting box wrench to make things go smoother. Recommended, but not required. So don't blame me when you go on a tool buying frenzy!

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Calif boss302 said:
Interested in this as well . . . I have the MGW and Whiteline Bushing in a box awaiting final decision. I was going to start with just the bracket first (as it is the easiest) then decide if either or both the MGW and Whiteline would come next. I think there can only be improvement with the MGW but not sure on the Whiteline.

Any of you Beta testers run the bracket with the bushing and or alternate shifter??

I was fortunate to be a Beta tester. Have now run a total of 8 track days with Steve's mount and seen a huge improvement in accuracy. No more missed shifts, unless it's driver error :)

I have the MGW. It improves precision -- shorter throw and better gates. I also have the Whiteline Trans mount and stiffer (red) steeda engine mounts. My take is that for a street/track car, MGW and Steve's mount is a huge improvement, with minimum NVH degradation. Shifter movement/vibration will increase relative to the body due to drivetrain movement and the relocated shifter mount, but it's a no brainer.

Although I haven't tested it with/without, I'm sure the stiffer engine mounts and the Whiteline Trans mount are reducing shifter movement, albeit at the cost of some NVH degradation.

I wouldn't change it, because mine is a mainly track car :)

Production version of Steve's mount arrived Saturday and is awaiting install -- great job Steve!

Thanks Black Boss . . .I am leaning towards installing the MGW and the BF Bracket together BUT leaving off the Whiteline Bushing to keep the NVH to a minimum for my Sunday Canyon Carver.

Black Boss said:
I was fortunate to be a Beta tester. Have now run a total of 8 track days with Steve's mount and seen a huge improvement in accuracy. No more missed shifts, unless it's driver error :)

I have the MGW. It improves precision -- shorter throw and better gates. I also have the Whiteline Trans mount and stiffer (red) steeda engine mounts. My take is that for a street/track car, MGW and Steve's mount is a huge improvement, with minimum NVH degradation. Shifter movement/vibration will increase relative to the body due to drivetrain movement and the relocated shifter mount, but it's a no brainer.

Although I haven't tested it with/without, I'm sure the stiffer engine mounts and the Whiteline Trans mount are reducing shifter movement, albeit at the cost of some NVH degradation.

I wouldn't change it, because mine is a mainly track car :)

Production version of Steve's mount arrived Saturday and is awaiting install -- great job Steve!

skwerl

tree hugger
Just got mine in the mail today. I have the MGW shifter and I'm not sure of the orientation of the adapter bracket. The holes are offset, not centered in the bracket and I am unsure if the offset goes toward the transmission side or towards the rear axle side. The drawing in the instructions (Fig. 6) is no help and there's nothing in the instructions to determine which way to face the bracket.

Ultrakla$$ic

ωιℓℓ ωσяк ƒσя ωнιρρℓє!!!!
skwerl said:
Just got mine in the mail today. I have the MGW shifter and I'm not sure of the orientation of the adapter bracket. The holes are offset, not centered in the bracket and I am unsure if the offset goes toward the transmission side or towards the rear axle side. The drawing in the instructions (Fig. 6) is no help and there's nothing in the instructions to determine which way to face the bracket.

This is my setup as well. Interested in knowing as well.

I think the drawing did help a bit (I'm going off memory here). Once you line up the holes, the edge of the MGW bracket should line up with the edge of the adapter bracket. If you try it the other way, i don't think the edges line up. If I'm not mistaken, I think the rear edges of the brackets line up.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel