The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Got mine today and it looks great. I was one of the early-birds and this was handled quite professionally by Steve and Blowfish Racing, as always. (I've had the pleasure buying a few other parts from them)

Thanks much Steve and I look forward to finding the tyme to put this on and providing feedback.

F.D. Sako said:
Not sure if Steve's instructions stated this, but attach the rear MGW bracket to Steve's MGW adapter first, before going under the car and bolting it to the shifter bracket assembly. Also, as mentioned, I used the firm bushing that came with the MGW, because Steve's stock bracket design is solid and eliminates the rear bushing.

General installation tip. My ratcheting wrench wouldn't fit on the passenger side tunnel (and barely fit on the driver side) so I had to use 2 box wrenches, which put my arms in awkward positions while tightening the 4 bolts. So, I highly recommend you get a 15mm ratcheting box wrench to make things go smoother. Recommended, but not required. So don't blame me when you go on a tool buying frenzy!

Thanks! Already did the tool buying frenzy when I did the CJ intake/Exhaust cam swap. :) Bought two of those ratcheting 15mm box wrenches...

Ultrakla$$ic said:
The ones that responded regarding my post would NEVER say that stuff to my face............

so internet =1

Say it to my face =0

I sure this place bans folks that don't drive a BOSS. That would be easy to do now wouldn't it. Pathetic

You have a problem with MY posts, skip over them. There's a novel idea now isn't it??

I got is all squared, hopefully, with BF Racing, but as for you douchebags that hide behind the keyboard, calling people out over a legitimate post, come to s197forum and lets discuss this. I'm sure you know how that would turn out for you now don't you???
LMAO. If we banned members without a Boss why are you still here? BTW I've chatted with Dave before and I doubt he tollerate your behavior with one of his vendors. I'll cleanup all of this but I won't do it again.

skwerl

tree hugger
Wanted to document my installation. I read through the instructions, crawled under my car, and promptly decided to do it completely backwards from the way described. No way in hell was I going to be able to work around the driveshaft and it's only 4 bolts to move it out of the way. Besides, I couldn't even see the bolts holding the heat shield in place, never mind the shifter.

IMG_2854.png
IMG_2855.png

I pulled the driveshaft out of the way and removed the heat shield from the MGW.

IMG_2856.png

Then I removed the rear shifter mount and assembled the rear mount on to the BF upper bracket.

IMG_2857.png
IMG_2858.png

Then I stuck the rear shifter mount and upper bracket back on to the shifter.

IMG_2859.png

At this point I reattached the driveshaft. The driveshaft bolts will be inaccessible once the lower bracket is in place. Then I mounted the lower bracket.

IMG_2860.png

Lastly was the 8 nuts and bolts attaching the upper and lower brackets. I installed 4 nuts and bolts barely snug but not tight, then got in the car to check the shifter height. It seems ok but I'll know for sure once I test drive it. Then I finished assembling the other four nuts and bolts and torquing them down. I'm concerned with how close the bolts are to the driveshaft. I definitely would not recommend this setup with a 4" aftermarket driveshaft as it will all but touch the bolts. With vibration I could see the bolts damaging the driveshaft.

IMG_2861.png
IMG_2862.png

All finished. As soon as the rain stops I'll get the car off the jack stands and take it for a test drive. Will report back later with my impressions.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
skwerl said:
Wanted to document my installation. I read through the instructions, crawled under my car, and promptly decided to do it completely backwards from the way described. No way in hell was I going to be able to work around the driveshaft and it's only 4 bolts to move it out of the way. Besides, I couldn't even see the bolts holding the heat shield in place, never mind the shifter.

IMG_2854.png
IMG_2855.png

I pulled the driveshaft out of the way and removed the heat shield from the MGW.

IMG_2856.png

Then I removed the rear shifter mount and assembled the rear mount on to the BF upper bracket.

IMG_2857.png
IMG_2858.png

Then I stuck the rear shifter mount and upper bracket back on to the shifter.

IMG_2859.png

At this point I reattached the driveshaft. The driveshaft bolts will be inaccessible once the lower bracket is in place. Then I mounted the lower bracket.

IMG_2860.png

Lastly was the 8 nuts and bolts attaching the upper and lower brackets. I installed 4 nuts and bolts barely snug but not tight, then got in the car to check the shifter height. It seems ok but I'll know for sure once I test drive it. Then I finished assembling the other four nuts and bolts and torquing them down. I'm concerned with how close the bolts are to the driveshaft. I definitely would not recommend this setup with a 4" aftermarket driveshaft as it will all but touch the bolts. With vibration I could see the bolts damaging the driveshaft.

IMG_2861.png
IMG_2862.png

All finished. As soon as the rain stops I'll get the car off the jack stands and take it for a test drive. Will report back later with my impressions.

Same setup I have, MGW and DSS shaft.

Thanks for the pics and write up!

Do you feel it's possible to trim the heat shield and reinstall?

skwerl

tree hugger
Yes, but my arthritic hip is acting up and I didn't want to turn this into a 2 day project. Once I had the upper bracket in place I wasn't about to stop and spend an hour messing with the heat shield. It would have required a lot of test fitting which means lots of trips up and down under the car. I can't do that many trips up and down in one day any more.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
skwerl said:
Yes, but my arthritic hip is acting up and I didn't want to turn this into a 2 day project. Once I had the upper bracket in place I wasn't about to stop and spend an hour messing with the heat shield. It would have required a lot of test fitting which means lots of trips up and down under the car. I can't do that many trips up and down in one day any more.

Even more in common. Docs tell me a hip replacement is in my future. LOL

I may get some poster board and make a template for trimming the heat shield.

I do like the temp drop at the shifter with the MGW shield.

Hey Skwerl . . .Do you think you could mount those bolts reversed with the bolt head on the inside (against the driveshaft) and the nuts outside the bracket. Would that give more room and piece of mind on clearance??

GREAT Write-up by the way with those pics. Thank You Sir!

skwerl said:

IMG_2862.png

skwerl

tree hugger
I don't think reversing the bolts would give that much more clearance, and I believe I'm ok as it sits unless I were to lose a motor mount or something. I'm probably worrying over nothing but I'm still nervous about exposed bolts less than 1/2" from my aluminum driveshaft.

Any issues with dropping the front of the driveshaft? Just wondering why the MGW install doesn't mention this. I was thinking that trying to install the MGW without dropping the front of the driveshaft would be much much harder. Anything special I should worry about?

Thanks in advance . . .

Calif boss302 said:
Any issues with dropping the front of the driveshaft? Just wondering why the MGW install doesn't mention this. I was thinking that trying to install the MGW without dropping the front of the driveshaft would be much much harder. Anything special I should worry about?

Thanks in advance . . .

It is a huge pita. Especially since I don't have a lift. I remember having a hard time getting the shifter down in there without it jamming up against the DS and body but I also have a big aluminum DS. You need to be very patient, it will eventually go in. The bolts (or were they studs?) on my MGW were a bit long so that did not help

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Great job skwerl. I got mine today and was thinking just like you about dropping the drive shaft. I don't know about the heat shield but maybe use the MGW insulation with some foil tape inside the upper bracket, for the bolts maybe button head 8.8 M10 on the inside would gain another 1/8".
Steve

skwerl

tree hugger
Calif boss302 said:

Thanks in advance . . .
Not really. You need a 12 point 12mm socket for the four driveshaft flange bolts. Throw some blue loctite on them before reassembly. I couldn't even get my fat paws around the driveshaft, never mind working on the shifter on the other side without being able to see anything. I've swapped a few driveshafts and dropped a few transmissions so I have no qualms about unbolting one end of the driveshaft for access. Some people might be nervous about it but there's no reason to be concerned. Bolts is bolts.

Both MGW and shifter bracket can be done without unbolting the driveshaft, it'll just require alot more manipulation and patience. That's why having ratcheting box wrenches comes in handy for these installs.

One tip when installing the MGW, specially when you're by yourself. When you're getting ready to put up the gold plate on the bottom, put a piece of masking tape on the bottom. So, once you push the plate in position (while positioning the front and rear bushings) you can just use the tape to hold it in place while you start the 4 nuts on the studs.

Or you can unbolt the driveshaft and have 4x as much room!

skwerl

tree hugger
I have ratchet wrenches (swivel heads, even) but my Snap On 3/8" fine tooth ratchet is so much faster. And again, the time lost pulling 4 driveshaft bolts was much less than the time lost trying to manipulate the entire installation working blind and not being to get your hands around the driveshaft. On a lift with lots of light I can see attempting to install while leaving the driveshaft in place but not laying on your back with the car on jack stands.

I think I'll drop the driveshaft to do the shifter install. Seems pretty straight forward to remove the 4 bolts and re-install to gain the extra space to install the shifter.

Thanks guys . . .

drano38

Wayne
Got the shifter this morning, and installed it tonite.
Outstanding quality, and worth his development time to get it done right.
Took one hour and 25 minutes which included a break to go get a home brew glass of beer. Instructions were crystal clear. First time a mod when as planed, and ahead of scheduled time. :)
Didn't get a chance for a test drive.

Only one issue--after tightening the snout support, I could not raise the upper bracket (nuts very loose on bracket)--a couple of the bolts were binding on the upper/lower brackets. So I loosened the snout bracket, adjusted height, then re-torqued the snout bracket.

Here's some pics
Put the Boss up on stands, with the front a little higher. Had plenty of room to work.
IMG_20140908_210108_409_zpsce1e6ca3.jpg

Parts, instructions, decal, all ready to go.
IMG_20140908_191217_522_zpsdad1b458.jpg

Beer break! Anyone recognize where the glass came from?
IMG_20140908_193821_878_zpsae045109.jpg

Bracket--looks outstanding. Like others said, too bad we can't see every day.
I put the bolts in inside out--growing up on the farm, my dad always taught me to tighten the nuts, and it was easier to do with them on the outside.
As others posted, a 15mm ratchet wrench made it very easy.
IMG_20140908_204916_864_zps7f0e1671.jpg

Done ;)
IMG_20140908_205838_657_zps05637ac1.jpg

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
drano38 said:
Got the shifter this morning, and installed it tonite.
Outstanding quality, and worth his development time to get it done right.
Took one hour and 25 minutes which included a break to go get a home brew glass of beer. Instructions were crystal clear. First time a mod when as planed, and ahead of scheduled time. :)
Didn't get a chance for a test drive.

Only one issue--after tightening the snout support, I could not raise the upper bracket (nuts very loose on bracket)--a couple of the bolts were binding on the upper/lower brackets. So I loosened the snout bracket, adjusted height, then re-torqued the snout bracket.

Here's some pics

Beer break! Anyone recognize where the glass came from?
IMG_20140908_193821_878_zpsae045109.jpg

Bracket--looks outstanding. Like others said, too bad we can't see every day.
I put the bolts in inside out--growing up on the farm, my dad always taught me to tighten the nuts, and it was easier to do with them on the outside.

Done ;)
IMG_20140908_205838_657_zps05637ac1.jpg

Wayne

Thanks for the pictures of the home brew.

General order number 1 makes Afghamistan DRY. :-\

Looking forward to installing my bracket as well as having a nice cold pint!!! , ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel