The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i need a guinea pig with the blowfish bracket installed, using the clamp setup (read, not mgw) who has significant noise and lives within driving distance of me.

i frankensteined a test piece to isolate the rear box mount and need to see if it will work before going forward with a next gen revision and retrofit.

anyone in my hood or willing to drive to it?

Steve,
If you don't find anyone living close, I'd be willing to meet you halfway. Central OH here, I'd guess 6 HRs + away. Stock shifter installed in mine.

I have MGW Shifter, are they having any rattle issue like the OEM Shifter.I was also surprised to see a billet type rear mount support for the OEM Shifter.So to get the best out of the BlowFish Bracket and the MGW Shifter I supose we sould be using the hardest rubber although it says ( Track Use )????

pufferfish said:
clamping the rubber/isolator material around the snout will not help much. the isolating material must be allowed to move to be able to not translate the frequency from one part to the next.

the issue i am having is, part of this deisgn with the hard clamp was to correct an inconsistancy issue with the ford shifter box arm. the arm is a weldment, which doesn't have a consistent face position. this is why some folks get the 1-2 notchiness. the box is clocked away from the optimal 12:00 position, which pinches off the 1-2 gate. the solid clamp forces the box to sit in the 12:00 position regardless of the tolerance in the OE arm. insulating this connection allows the box to go back to its normal clock position.

It would be interesting to see how the OEM bracket works, maybe just as a test, if it can be bolted to the blowfish bracket upside down in the manner of the MGW bracket. Since there's no twisting force between the powertrain and the body now, perhaps the flimsy OEM bracket is good enough and the rubber isolator might eliminate the noise and reduce the vibration?

WJBertrand said:
It would be interesting to see how the OEM bracket works, maybe just as a test, if it can be bolted to the blowfish bracket upside down in the manner of the MGW bracket. Since there's no twisting force between the powertrain and the body now, perhaps the flimsy OEM bracket is good enough and the rubber isolator might eliminate the noise and reduce the vibration?
Welcome to BMO. At first I thought no way would I ever put the stock marshmallow shifter bracket back in. But after thinking about this that would be a great way to eliminate one potential issue causing the vibration. If I had a completely stock Boss or GT I'd install Steve's bracket and not upgrade anything else to see how it feels. After I installed a MGW shifter and SS clutch line I had MORE high RPM shifting lockout issues not less. I'm not saying either caused the issues but they clearly didn't resolve them. I'm not a huge fan of the MGW, although I do like it now that it has thousands of shifts on it, and I liked the stock shifter except for the vagueness which this bracket should eliminate.

NFSBOSS said:
Welcome to BMO. At first I thought no way would I ever put the stock marshmallow shifter bracket back in. But after thinking about this that would be a great way to eliminate one potential issue causing the vibration. If I had a completely stock Boss or GT I'd install Steve's bracket and not upgrade anything else to see how it feels. After I installed a MGW shifter and SS clutch line I had MORE high RPM shifting lockout issues not less. I'm not saying either caused the issues but they clearly didn't resolve them. I'm not a huge fan of the MGW, although I do like it now that it has thousands of shifts on it, and I liked the stock shifter except for the vagueness which this bracket should eliminate.

Thanks for the welcome. I've also wondered if locking the rear of the shifter to the body aggravates the misalignment issue. Perhaps the OEM bracket is designed to let the shifter twist a bit?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
does anyone with the blowfish bracket and mgw have the noise? since the isolated rear mount is retained on the mgw, it might help prove the theory.

I get an occasional noise from my MGW making contact with the rear mount studs, which doesn't bother me that much. No shift knob noises with the MGW though.

skwerl

tree hugger
pufferfish said:
does anyone with the blowfish bracket and mgw have the noise? since the isolated rear mount is retained on the mgw, it might help prove the theory.
Only noise I had was the studs hitting on left turns under throttle. Now that I adjusted it no more noise. At some point I may trim the studs so I can raise the shifter up slightly but it is no longer a priority.

skwerl said:
Only noise I had was the studs hitting on left turns under throttle. Now that I adjusted it no more noise. At some point I may trim the studs so I can raise the shifter up slightly but it is no longer a priority.

How far downward did you need to adjust the bracket to avoid the studs? Is there any downside for the shifting action to leave the adjustment height low?

pufferfish said:
i need a guinea pig with the blowfish bracket installed, using the clamp setup (read, not mgw) who has significant noise and lives within driving distance of me.

i frankensteined a test piece to isolate the rear box mount and need to see if it will work before going forward with a next gen revision and retrofit.

anyone in my hood or willing to drive to it?

I have noticed some noise when accelerating hard. Not sure if its just excess noise from the vibration of the shifter or noise that the other people are "reporting". I was actually going to go to Capital on Friday and see if it is just my ears getting used to the NVH, or if it is excessive noise. Not sure if I qualify 100% for the experiment, but ill try it out if needed. I'm just over the creek in the Burnie.

boss man said:
No noises here. There is a very small increase in vibration. However, the changes it made in my shifting is well worth the small vibration. To me it just feels like it's an old school shifter that works! Just so everyone knows....I'm still running the proto type bracket and very happy with it! Also my car is loud...Roush axel backs / cat delete / no rear seat / hearing impaired.. ;D

I have installed my B/F bracket. I have the Whiteline trans bushing un modfied and the MGW shifter and a rebuilt transmission by Ford. I have no additional noise after installation ,no bracket hitting and better shift gate under load. Job well done by blow Fish

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
DAMMIT! WHY AM I NOT GETTING EMAILS ABOUT REPLIES??

OK, so it sounds to me like i am on the right path to eliminating this pesky noise issue.

mgw retains its isolated rear mount, so there is no metal to metal contact between the shifter and the trans. that has to be the key to killing the frequency. i just need to figure out how to retain the re-clocking feature and the positive location of the box to keep the gates consistent. i am also trying to design in added fitment with the V6, as i found out it requires about 30mm additional length to reach the snout. who knew? it uses the MT82 and the same shifter...but not quite. the trans is shorter or located farther forward, which makes the shifter box arm longer, which explains why they are yellow vs the black used in the v8.

anywho, i still want to prove it out with the franken-mount. shaun12, i can't make it down to capitol today, but it would be worth a trip there soon. maybe next friday? i am dying to see what my new ecoboost f150 screw will do;)

pufferfish said:
DAMMIT! WHY AM I NOT GETTING EMAILS ABOUT REPLIES??

OK, so it sounds to me like i am on the right path to eliminating this pesky noise issue.

mgw retains its isolated rear mount, so there is no metal to metal contact between the shifter and the trans. that has to be the key to killing the frequency. i just need to figure out how to retain the re-clocking feature and the positive location of the box to keep the gates consistent..

anywho, i still want to prove it out with the franken-mount. shaun12, i can't make it down to capitol today, but it would be worth a trip there soon. maybe next friday? i am dying to see what my new ecoboost f150 screw will do;)

I was thinking about this and wondering if the two-piece clamp for the shifter box "snout" could be made entirely of a fairly stiff elastomer, similar to that used for suspension bushings, instead of metal?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Won't accomplish the objective. I need leverage to get the box controlled and a "soft clamp" wouldn't offer any roll resistance. I have something in mind and will be mocking one up next week.

TMO Supporting Vendors