The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's what I did when installing the bracket. I replaced the softer one for the 'racing' bushing. IMO, I say go with the firmer one, because there isn't a significant amout of vibration in the shifter.

However, do watch out for the rear mount studs. I still haven't adjusted or resolved the contact with the rear studs yet. I'll see if it's worth messing with it at the track tomorrow.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I'm beating this blowfish bracket like a rented mule here in Hastings at Mustang Roundup. Limited vibration, no noise and shifting has been spot-on all day including full-throttle, hard sweeper shifts from 3-4 at least 8 times a session with no issues and the same amount of 4-3-2 downshifts each session.

JScheier said:
I'm beating this blowfish bracket like a rented mule here in Hastings at Mustang Roundup. Limited vibration, no noise and shifting has been spot-on all day including full-throttle, hard sweeper shifts from 3-4 at least 8 times a session with no issues and the same amount of 4-3-2 downshifts each session.

What shifter are you using?

-Jeff-
STOC 025

Installed the BFR Shifting Bracket to my 2013 Boss this evening. Very happy :)
Tiny little buz in the shifter knob in 1st and 2nd gears only at higher rpm, not an issue, just mentioning. I think the buz cure may be with the knob itself? I can live with the tiny buz to have what I now have.
Shifts like it should in all gears with new bracket, before bracket it felt like I was having to thread a needle to hit the gears at higher rpm.
Stock car except for LS Tranny Cooler and BFR Trans Bracket.

skwerl

tree hugger
Pitt302 said:
whould you suggest the Hardest rubber insert when using MGW with your Blowfish Bracket?
I've spoken with George extensively about this and he believes that the harder you make the rear mount the more NVH you will have. I'm using the softer bushing and have no need or desire to switch it to the harder bushing.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
skwerl said:
I've spoken with George extensively about this and he believes that the harder you make the rear mount the more NVH you will have. I'm using the softer bushing and have no need or desire to switch it to the harder bushing.
George is undoubtedly correct for his shifter in the stock configuration, but it's an entirely different ball game with the blowfish bracket.

Ultrakla$$ic

ωιℓℓ ωσяк ƒσя ωнιρρℓє!!!!
skwerl said:

Brian, switch to the harder durometer bushing and see what happens. I trust your input. ;)

skwerl

tree hugger
Ultrakla$$ic said:
Brian, switch to the harder durometer bushing and see what happens. I trust your input. ;)
Actually my shifter is working great and I couldn't ask for anything more. My issue is with the cheap Chinese transmission clunking and clanking with only 4000 miles on the car. When I removed the driveshaft from the trans I could turn the output shaft by hand back and forth about 1/4" and reproduce the clanking noise I hear while driving.

Got my bracket installed this morning and have done a short test drive. Ford should do this as factory! No funny noises at all and as far as vibration, it's no different from any other top loader shifter I've ever used. I have the MGW shifter with the OEM shift knob as well. The combination is I think the ideal configuration.

Being mindful of the intent of the BF bracket to better "clock" the shifter to the transmission, I installed the "track only" harder bracket bushing. I also placed the BF/MGW adapter to position the MGW bracket in the more rearward location to make sure I had plenty of clearance to the OEM bracket studs. The posts on the rear of the shifter only extend about 3/4" through the rubber bushing, but this seems to be working ok.

In addition, I adjusted the BF bracket all the way down as further measure to prevent stud contact. Compared to my measurements before installing the BF bracket, the shifter only sits about 1/8" lower inside the car.

Shifting 1-2 whilst turning left is much smoother as is engaging 1st or reverse from a stop. I wasn't really having any other shifting issues with my MT82/MGW set up but this bracket now makes the transmission easier and frankly more fun to use. Great product!

-Jeff-
STOC 025

Ultrakla$$ic

ωιℓℓ ωσяк ƒσя ωнιρρℓє!!!!
skwerl said:
Actually my shifter is working great and I couldn't ask for anything more. My issue is with the cheap Chinese transmission clunking and clanking with only 4000 miles on the car. When I removed the driveshaft from the trans I could turn the output shaft by hand back and forth about 1/4" and reproduce the clanking noise I hear while driving.

So MGW with softest durometer rubber, bracket all the way pulled down away from floor board and clear the studs and I'm golden????

If you are replying to my post, read it again, I used the stiffer MGW track only HARDER durometer bushing. It's golden for me, but YMMV, as they say.

-Jeff-
STOC 025

pufferfish said:
George is undoubtedly correct for his shifter in the stock configuration, but it's an entirely different ball game with the blowfish bracket.

So are you saying to use the track bushing (harder material bushing) to get the most out of your bracket when using the MGW shifter?

Tim

So I installed my MGW shifter today. Jack stand to hand washing 3hrs which included running up stairs 3 times to watch and rewatch the install video and removing the mounting arms bolts because I forgot the loctite.

All went well and the new shifter shifts great. Very crisp and firm. Reverse is a bit stiff but that should loosen a bit.

But here is the kicker. Went to install the MGW shifter ball with the included new lock nut and washer and the brass bushing inside the ball is loose. I installed the lock nut collar then the lock washer the screwed on the knob. Did not tighten the knob too tight. Used a wrench to screw the lock collar up to tighten the ball. Now its loose. Uggggg! Put the stock knob and collar back on for now.

Not sure what i did wrong there . .

Anyway I'm going to drive it a few miles before I install the Blowfish Bracket.

skwerl

tree hugger
Calif boss302 said:
So I installed my MGW shifter today. Jack stand to hand washing 3hrs which included running up stairs 3 times to watch and rewatch the install video and removing the mounting arms bolts because I forgot the loctite.

All went well and the new shifter shifts great. Very crisp and firm. Reverse is a bit stiff but that should loosen a bit.

But here is the kicker. Went to install the MGW shifter ball with the included new lock nut and washer and the brass bushing inside the ball is loose. I installed the lock nut collar then the lock washer the screwed on the knob. Did not tighten the knob too tight. Used a wrench to screw the lock collar up to tighten the ball. Now its loose. Uggggg! Put the stock knob and collar back on for now.

Not sure what i did wrong there . .

Anyway I'm going to drive it a few miles before I install the Blowfish Bracket.
If it's a defective part then MGW is very easy to work with. Give Julie a call and I'm confident she will get your situation resolved. Really good people there.

TMO Supporting Vendors