The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johna said:
I have the stock shifter but it seems some noise has been associated with the install of the blowfish device? Any solutions reported for this yet?

I have been able to test one of Blowfish's prototypes that clears up a pretty good amount of the rattle. A solution is coming.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
based on the 2 test subjects results with 2 different design ideas, i believe i have the right solution...but its not a silver bullet. until ford makes a vehicle that has tighter tolerances to control this area, its always going to be a compromise. either it fits on all and some get noise or it fits on some and no noise. even then, there is still installation issues that could introduce noise.

at this point, i am just trying to offer the 5% of customers who have noise, an answer that will hopefully eliminate the buzzing noise, but at least bring it into a tolerable volume...and do it as soon as humanly possible.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
TMSBOSS said:
Cool.

For standard shifter or others??

this just addresses the buzziness with the stock shifter box. the mgw has different issues. the reuse of the mgw mount was not the right move, as it is too chunky and all too often ends up touching the top of the trans tunnel and the studs. there will be a new piece which will replace the mgw mount and be much more compact to prevent contact. it will be offered as a retrofit, just as the stock box isolator kit will. both will be included in new kits when they become available.

there will be a new piece which will replace the mgw mount and be much more compact to prevent contact. it will be offered as a retrofit, just as the stock box isolator kit will. both will be included in new kits when they become available.

Curious on a rough time frame for the compact mgw mount since I haven't installed the bracket yet and I might hold off until it's available.

Thanks,
Steve

302 Hi Pro said:
Did this repair fix your second gear crunch?
2HP
Not kidding you, it shifts like butter now into second. It never felt this good from the day I brought it home. I havent done ant 7500rpm shifts yet, but that wasnt where my problem was. It was bad between 2-3000. I'm still getting thie BF bracket to prevent any more damage. The car will be parked at the end of this week, so I'll have all winter to get it put in.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Two questions and the first is for the Forum members that have installed the BlowFish Bracket.

Is this typical of the noise and vibration you have experienced with your Mustang after your BF Bracket install?

Second:

F.D. Sako: Is it possible that you improperly installed the BF Bracket? Is this typical of the MGW bracket hitting the body tunnel studs for the OEM rear shifter mount?

The noise on F. D. Sako's video is outrageous. We all need some answers here.

Hope this works out,
302 Hi Pro
Dave

302 Hi Pro said:
Second:

F.D. Sako: Is it possible that you improperly installed the BF Bracket? Is this typical of the MGW bracket hitting the body tunnel studs for the OEM rear shifter mount?

The noise on F. D. Sako's video is outrageous. We all need some answers here.

Hope this works out,
302 Hi Pro
Dave

Dave, that's actually someone making fun of the complaints on the forums :p
He has alot of videos making fun common topics on mustang forums, and Steve bracket has gotten its own video lol

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Wow, you sure got me on that one. Good Job! LoL

But that was a little scary, as I really want to order one, but decided to wait on Steve's fix. Once I know the revised MGW bracket is available and comes with the Bracket, I'll pull the trigger. You know, I think there are lots of others doing the same.

All the best, and thanks for letting me know.

2 HP
Dave

I put a few small trips on my new Blowfish bracket with my B2 and was totally happy until I did a couple longer trips, then my outlook changed about the overall performance.
The buzzing is annoying on the highway, freeway and in town after several miles. Also, my car
seems to get worse as it gets hotter.
The video posted exaggerates the problem, but it's a real problem.

I have an MGW and Whiteline shifter bushing and have added the Blowfish bracket and I highly recommend it. The vibration at the shift knob is there, but nothing serious. I have run my car all the way into the rev limiter in 5th and it was never problematic. Maybe I just got lucky with the install but I don't think so.

I like my cars to feel mechanical so all of these modifications that tighten things up (i.e. take the slack out of the controls) are well worth it to me.

Ultrakla$$ic

ωιℓℓ ωσяк ƒσя ωнιρρℓє!!!!
pufferfish said:
this just addresses the buzziness with the stock shifter box. the mgw has different issues. the reuse of the mgw mount was not the right move, as it is too chunky and all too often ends up touching the top of the trans tunnel and the studs. there will be a new piece which will replace the mgw mount and be much more compact to prevent contact. it will be offered as a retrofit, just as the stock box isolator kit will. both will be included in new kits when they become available.

This is exactly the issue with the MGW/BF setup and it was easily seen and rectified for us that paid attention during the install. Keeping the MGW/BF mount free from the bottom of the floor pan as well as the 2 OEM mounting studs alleviates the adverse NVH IMO. I was EXTREMELY tedious in my install and made sure nothing touched AT ALL and have ZERO NVH at any speed and RPM. It shifts and sounds like an automatic.

Here is my review copy and pasted from another forum:

In reference to mine, I let the revs get over 4k in 2nd gear and held it there while I drove it and it was quiet and the shifter was not buzzy at all. Got up to speed and held it there........notta. Went from 4th to 3rd instead of 5th , held it there as the RPM winded and notta............not sure I can replicate any unwanted stuff as I think I tried it all. Dropped down to 2nd and got squirrely ripping through the gears........notta. No notchy shifting between gears either. smooth gear to gear selection no matter what kind of accelerating or decelling.

The only thing I can attribute the value of the heatshield, other than the obvious, is the fact that the area I have circled in the pic(which pertains to both sides of the heatshield) press firmly against the transmission tunnel. I say "firmly" because when adjusting the shifter UP or DOWN in the application, the heatshields make it difficult to push too far UP because they press against the side of the trans tunnel. The aluminum heatshield is wrapped in a sound deadening material AS WELL AS the white asbestos type heat shield/sound deadening material being used in conjunction. These two "factors" used simultaneously, pressing against the sides of the trans tunnel creating a layer/eliment of "stability" from any lateral shifting/torquing seem to help. It's as if these aid in keeping the transmission "still" inside the trans tunnel during operation.

I also RTV'd a small layer between the metal to metal contact on the BF Shifter adapter and MGW rear shifter mount to suppress any potential NVH.
The only thing I can attribute the value of the heatshield, other than the obvious, is the fact that the area I have circled in the pic(which pertains to both sides of the heatshield) press firmly against the transmission tunnel. I say "firmly" because when adjusting the shifter UP or DOWN in the application, the heatshields make it difficult to push too far UP because they press against the side of the trans tunnel. The aluminum heatshield is wrapped in a sound deadening material AS WELL AS the white asbestos type heat shield/sound deadening material being used in conjunction. These two "factors" used simultaneously, pressing against the sides of the trans tunnel creating a layer/eliment of "stability" from any lateral shifting/torquing seem to help. It's as if these aid in keeping the transmission "still" inside the trans tunnel during operation.

I also RTV'd a small layer between the metal to metal contact on the BF Shifter adapter and MGW rear shifter mount to suppress any potential NVH.

I welcome the new MGW shifter mount that you're producing to assist those that, for some reason possibly other than described which I can't imagine, still have unwanted NVH. Excellent developer support IMO.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Ultrakla$$ic said:
This is exactly the issue with the MGW/BF setup and it was easily seen and rectified for us that paid attention during the install. Keeping the MGW/BF mount free from the bottom of the floor pan as well as the 2 OEM mounting studs alleviates the adverse NVH IMO. I was EXTREMELY tedious in my install and made sure nothing touched AT ALL and have ZERO NVH at any speed and RPM. It shifts and sounds like an automatic.

I welcome the new MGW shifter mount that you're producing to assist those that, for some reason possibly other than described which I can't imagine, still have unwanted NVH. Excellent developer support IMO.

I will be home and installing Steve's bracket in a few weeks. Since I have one of the original MGW shifters which I later upgraded with the larger rear mount, I'll take a look see and determine if the original mount, smaller design, will be the answer.

Regardless, a little extra time spent on the install and with a die grinder should relieve enough stock for the larger upgraded mount to work.

Will give the upgrade good workout at VIR. ;D

Ultrakla$$ic

ωιℓℓ ωσяк ƒσя ωнιρρℓє!!!!
TMSBOSS said:
I will be home and installing Steve's bracket in a few weeks. Since I have one of the original MGW shifters which I later upgraded with the larger rear mount, I'll take a look see and determine if the original mount, smaller design, will be the answer.

Regardless, a little extra time spent on the install and with a die grinder should relieve enough stock for the larger upgraded mount to work.

Will give the upgrade good workout at VIR. ;D

I too have an early MGW shifter as I've lost track of the number of upgrades. LOL.

Let us know what how your experience is and provide feedback! Travel safe and thanks for serving!

I wonder if anyone experiencing NVH with the new 2014 MGW shifter? I install mine with no heat shield, the blowfish MGW bracket with the rounded edge facing rear and box pulled down to allow 1/8" or so clearance to the original mounting screws. I'm very happy with the install. Only a very slight vibration on the ball. Nothing you would notice if you didn't feel it before.

For those with MGW maybe check to see if the MGW to Blowfish black mounting block has the rounded edge facing the rear of the car?

Glad to see BF is chasing this down. Well done Steve!

I have a Barton shifter and it now has a significant amount of NVH (bag of marbles) during acceleration. It also seems to get worse after the car has a little chance to warm up. I have tried moving the bracket up, down, etc. I placed a piece on Dynamat on the top of the bracket to make sure it wasn't hitting the bottom of the shifter. I took the counsel apart last weekend to make sure the boot was in place, all the bolts were tight, etc. I had very little vibration going from the stock shifter to the Barton....now it is on the verge of being annoying while driving around town. It does shift better though...I guess you can't have it all!

TMO Supporting Vendors