The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
I had 3 track days with the shifter last weekend at the MPH Roundup.
Overall it worked great. With the windows down, high speeds, and adrenaline pumping, the the shifts were clear and clean--and I didn't notice the vibration. The rubber belting keeps it under control pretty well.
I still notice it on the street, so a solution for that would be great, but I guess I can become accustomed to it.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
F.D. Sako said:
That's great for you, Steve!
From SVTP's article, sounds like now they have return springs in the shifter assembly, so your bracket will work even better!

interesting. i guess thats like making it sort of an MGW?

Looks like they beefed up the supports a bit, but still the same problem.
The support looks to also be cast, instead of the current one, which is I think stamped.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the current arm is welded and there's quite a bit of angular tolerance from part to part.

the new one is a single cast piece for the arm and box with a retaining cover on the bottom. it will, undoubtedly be less wonky and be more consistent with regards to the pinched of 1-2 gates. it should be a marked improvement in regular driving, but will still suffer the same downfalls when pushed.

pufferfish said:
the current arm is welded and there's quite a bit of angular tolerance from part to part.

the new one is a single cast piece for the arm and box with a retaining cover on the bottom. it will, undoubtedly be less wonky and be more consistent with regards to the pinched of 1-2 gates. it should be a marked improvement in regular driving, but will still suffer the same downfalls when pushed.

I wonder if older cars can use the new arm? Might it be a worthwhile upgrade if so? I noticed that the shifter box itself is different. Looks like the new one can be opened from the bottom where as my OEM shifter box only opens from the top. Beefier bushings, MGW style, in there now?

skwerl

tree hugger
A littler birdie told me that the new MGW shifter being developed for the 2015 Mustang will also be designed to retrofit the 2011-2014 Mustangs. It will replace the entire front strut arm as well as the shifter box.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
For anyone who has not already tried to remove the arm from the trans while it sits in the car, yeah, good luck with that! Barton is doing the same thing and it's going to be a biiiiitttcchhh! I will keep on selling the simple solution;)

FINALLY got around to installing my bracket today. Hardest part of the install was getting the stock rear bracket off...stupid "threaded" bolt clip! Anyways, test drive produced the vibration and rattle some are experiencing with the stock shifter. I'm fine with the vibration, and the rattle is only in the 3500 - 4500 RPM range. And yes the rattle goes away if you roll down the windows. ;)

Honestly I can live with this as the shifting is significantly improved! 1-2 cold was always dicey before. Now, smooth and no notchiness. Much more sure of my shifting now. However if a fix is in the works for the vibration/rattle, I'll be one of the first to order.

Great job as usual Steve!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
pufferfish said:
For anyone who has not already tried to remove the arm from the trans while it sits in the car, yeah, good luck with that! Barton is doing the same thing and it's going to be a biiiiitttcchhh! I will keep on selling the simple solution;)

Separating the shifter rod from trans while the trans is installed??? Oh yea......fun.

I really doubt this is doable.

Lowering the trans or removing all together will likely be required.

Looks like Steve's design will be the solution.......at least until they redesign The Next Generation of Mustangs. ;D

Moto said:
Installed mine today. MGW shifter. I did put the vacuum caps on the factory studs in case of contact. Oh, and I removed the whiteline bracket as that has too much NVH for the street (but nice on the track) and I figured it wasn't necessary now with this bracket. I wanted to make the MGW heat shield work if possible, as alot of heat comes through the shifter area on track. I was able to notch the heat shield at the back where the bracket connects to the rear shifter support.

IMG_1379_zps2602dc4d.jpg
IMG_1380_zpsdebe7300.jpg

It should have enough play for the bracket to slide around forward/aft under loads. The heat shield fits nicely between the BF bracket and the lower shifter box and now holds the heat shield in place, yet allows it to move around nicely with the shifter.
IMG_1381_zpsff1e8bc9.jpg

All Buttoned up!
IMG_1383_zpsc59b6ef9.jpg

Thanks for the info! I just cut off three inches from the back and called it a day. I did re-install the mounting nuts.

Tim

Installed my BF bracket today. 45 minutes jack to hand wash.
Pretty happy with feel. MGW shifter has no vibration but now does bob up and down a bit with the movement of the transmission. Feels more secure when shifting at higher rpms. I need to modify the heat shield and reinstall. I think i can just drill 2 holes in the shield for the 2 bolts that mount the MGW adapter bracket to the Rear MGW mount and just sandwhich the heat shield between the BF bracket and the MGW shifter body.

Steve the instructions are not clear as to which way the adapter bracket should face. Rounded edge facing rear of car like Skewrl did:

IMG_2864.png
[/quote]

Or facing forward like Moto did

IMG_1381_zpsff1e8bc9.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
^ If your shifter is moving up and down then I'd recommend checking the integrity of your transmission mount. Mine doesn't move at all, but my car only has 4000 miles on it.

I just discovered that Steve has another vendor carrying his bracket. Someone on another forum just said that Lethal is carrying them. I did a quick search and found this-
http://www.lethalperformance.com/blowfish-racing-2011-2014-mustang-mt82-shifter-support-and-bracket.html

How many other places are carrying them now besides CJPP and Lethal? Oh, and congrats to Steve on a successful product launch. Looks like all his research and hard work paid off.

I installed my Shifter Bracket today, was going to put the MGW Heat Shieild between ,but there was about a 2mm difference between the heat Sheild and rear support bracket height, did not want to tighten down REar support bolts and possible bend the MGW daul slide posts, I supose you could shim the difference in height but I left it off.

ms71171 said:
Jason, I took mine to the dealer and I could not get it to lockout with the heavy line tech in the car. I could have, but would have to of speed-shifted to do it and the service manager said they can't do anything for me.

Could you let me know what the TSB number is for this? The bracket btw cured most of the 1-2 lock-outs, but I still get a grind even with the bracket occasionally if I really speed-shift fast.
The TSB # is 13-12-5. Ill list the parts they replaced and the write up on the page
Hub Syncro
Ring synchro
Output shaft bearing
Counte bearing assembly
Support plate
2nd gear main shaft (5%)
snap ring
gear shift rail
fuid and a nut and gasket for the exhaust that was rusted.
Diagnose for intermittant grinding 1-2 upshift at slow speeds and low rpm. Scott duplicated with customer. Confirmed second gear grinding. Found TSB 13-12-5.
Removed trans. Seized exhaust bolt mt. Mounted trans in holding fixture Disassembled trany as per TSB. Found debris on magnet. Second gear damaged. Center support shift fork bearings damaged. Require complete inspection TSB no longer applies. Comlete inspect damage only at second gear and 1st second synchro and center support with reverse shift shaft. Installed new parts assembled trans bled clutch test drove no further concernes.
Hope this helps. and yes it was covered by warrenty.

TMO Supporting Vendors