The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Re: those with shifter issues, enter now!

Mad Hatter said:
I Just wanted to say a public thanks to Pufferfish! After setting my personal best time at my local track I blew 3rd and 4th gears. This is on Sunday. After hearing my howls for help from the track, Blowfish racing had a rebuilt tranny on its way to Miami on Monday and with luck I will have it on Friday. Thats what I call great support!!

I have driven all kinds of cars including a horde of alfa romeos and such (some of which, have syncros go off if you yell at them!), never once have I ever damaged a gearbox or lost a syncro. This is my second rebuild with the MT82 in 25,000km. The mustang community awaits your gadget with big hopes!!

happy to help out Matt. it was a win-win. wish i could have added the shift improver into your box. just take it easy on this trans until the fix is ready;)

the synchros aren't bad by themselves. its all in the shift accuracy to keep them alive. another big part is the shift stop. the plastic end just collapses too easily and ends up over-extending the synchros, which damages them and the plastic shift fork pads. the brass stop pin in the trans on its way to you will not have this issue. hope you get it installed before your upcoming track day!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

I love my Blowfish front tow hook. It was as advertised.

I love my MGW and my Whiteline insert. Really don't have many shifting issues other than OE.

Still, you have my attention. I shall wait with bated breath for revelation.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

make no mistake, mgw is the best piece i have seen on the market. its the very top bandaid and lots of people have found that it has cured their symptoms...except for that one time...they thought it was their slow clutch foot or they must have put the shifter in the wrong spot to catch the gate or any number of "it was my fault" excuses. granted, they may have actually been at fault, but once the problem is actually solved, it closes the door on the possibility it might have been your mgw and you can focus all your effort at perfecting your technique.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

pufferfish said:
make no mistake, mgw is the best piece i have seen on the market. its the very top bandaid and lots of people have found that it has cured their symptoms...except for that one time...they thought it was their slow clutch foot or they must have put the shifter in the wrong spot to catch the gate or any number of "it was my fault" excuses. granted, they may have actually been at fault, but once the problem is actually solved, it closes the door on the possibility it might have been your mgw and you can focus all your effort at perfecting your technique.
Agree 100% with Steve. I saw a significant improvement with MGW, and some with the Whiteline Trans mount. Steve's mod has now got my Trans to the stage where if I miss a shift I know it's my fault :(

Take my money already. LOL.

My transmission has been rebuilt three times by two different dealers, requiring a total of eight weeks in service SO FAR. It's still not fixed. I picked it up Wednesday last week from it's latest rebuild. I took it back to the dealer on Monday, had the service manager drive it and he was greeted with a nice loud "Clunk" shifting into second on the street right off the dealer's lot. I'm still waiting to hear on their next move.

I absolutely regret buying a Boss Mustang as of this moment. I've barely got a moments enjoyment from it so far due to the grinding and notchy shifting. It's the paranoia thinking the next shift is going to destroy a gear that eliminates any joy that I might have otherwise got from this car. I bought the Boss in October '12 and put it away for it's first winter already planning it's first dealership visit as soon as it came out of winter hibernation. As I approach two years of ownership, there has been no joy here whatsoever. I added the MGW and Whiteline bushing after the first rebuild which failed to help.

But seriously, take my money. I am already trying to figure out the financing to ditch this pig and go back to a Corvette.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

That sounds like a terrible experience. I feel for you. Don't go back to the vette. I believe I can fix your transmission issues...provided your trans isn't already fubar'd.

Hang in there.

Wouldn't that amount of time at the dealer for the exact same issue consider it a lemon and they would have to buy it back?

These stories are not what i want to hear right now... i have to take mine for trans issues sometime next week as well.

pufferfish said:
That sounds like a terrible experience. I feel for you. Don't go back to the vette. I believe I can fix your transmission issues...provided your trans isn't already fubar'd.

Hang in there.

I don't think it's fubar'd. Everything in it is new...just over a week old right now but not working properly. New main shaft, input shaft, output shaft, all gears, synchros and bearings and rods. I guess I am supposed to drive it easy and hope I don't damage anything until Ford figures out what their next step is. They actually have two outstanding issues with this transmission. The second gear grind and some sort of odd rotational noise that the dealership identified and escalated to engineering themselves. There is no ETA nor even a suggestion for an actual fix.

Brandon302 said:
Wouldn't that amount of time at the dealer for the exact same issue consider it a lemon and they would have to buy it back?
We don't really have lemon laws in Canada. We have sort of a manufacturer association that looks at consumer complaints but a buy back is extremely rare.

Steve, how many more beta testers with the part are still out there and have not posted.

Boss0960 Just try to hang in there and take care of that trans. I had the same feelings as you had about NOT wanting to drive your car due to the trans shifting. After I installed the new part the enjoyment of driving and running thru the gears again came back the first bolck. I'm so happy with my shifting now that I even went and lowered my car. So far every person (tester) has reported Huge differances in there shifting. I know the end of the summer is along time to wait for the part, thats why I signed Steves papers and gave my money to be a tester. For me it was a homerun. Otherwise I to my have posted my car For Sale next year. Now it's a keeper! Just take care of that trans untill the part hits the market.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

I had one tester fall off the map, so it was just reallocated to another tester and shipped out yesterday. Everyone else has reported back. So, 8 out of 8 found it to be beneficial to shifting....even with the mighty MGW. I am not sure if everyone has posted here though?

pufferfish said:
I had one tester fall off the map, so it was just reallocated to another tester and shipped out yesterday. Everyone else has reported back. So, 8 out of 8 found it to be beneficial to shifting....even with the mighty MGW. I am not sure if everyone has posted here though?

As good as your part works you may hurt MGW sales... ::) :eek: Lol

Boss0960 said:
I don't think it's fubar'd. Everything in it is new...just over a week old right now but not working properly. New main shaft, input shaft, output shaft, all gears, synchros and bearings and rods. I guess I am supposed to drive it easy and hope I don't damage anything until Ford figures out what their next step is. They actually have two outstanding issues with this transmission. The second gear grind and some sort of odd rotational noise that the dealership identified and escalated to engineering themselves. There is no ETA nor even a suggestion for an actual fix.
We don't really have lemon laws in Canada. We have sort of a manufacturer association that looks at consumer complaints but a buy back is extremely rare.

I would hang in there on the trans but I can understand your disappointment. You could always try to sell it to someone who wants a Boss for drag or doing a T56 swap for RR.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

pufferfish said:

If you come up with another one and ship it to me to arrive by Friday this week or Monday next week I'll run it at Laguna...whatever it is(?)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

AZ, I wish I had 50 more betas. Every one of them would have been snatched up and tested! Hang in there.

The patent is in final draft now and should be ready to file Friday or early next week. Based on the assembly feedback I have gotten and what I learned from getting the MGW to work, I have revised the design a bit.

I anticipate being able to show off the product and final pricing the beginning of August. I will be offering a pre-order discount at that time.

Stay tuned!

GEE>>>>Christmas in August
Dear Santa Blowfish, I want that part to fix my shifting problems...Please 8)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Just let us know when you want us to send a deposit right away!

The new box is going in today and tomorrow off for a 450km drive to a time attack. Fingers crossed!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

pufferfish said:
AZ, I wish I had 50 more betas. Every one of them would have been snatched up and tested! Hang in there.

The patent is in final draft now and should be ready to file Friday or early next week. Based on the assembly feedback I have gotten and what I learned from getting the MGW to work, I have revised the design a bit.

I anticipate being able to show off the product and final pricing the beginning of August. I will be offering a pre-order discount at that time.

Stay tuned!

Sounds good and GLWPatent

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss

Steve:

Put me down on your pre-order list....if you would be so kind. I'm really tired of these shifts....but can't afford a Magnum XL in the foreseeable future.

Wayne

TMO Supporting Vendors