The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Re: those with shifter issues, enter now!

Wayne, there isn't a list to speak of. Just keep your eye on this thread for further details.

I honestly wouldn't switch to the XL unless power levels demanded it. The 2.97 gearset has a nasty rpm drop from 3rd to 4th. the 2.66 gearset has good gear spacing, but its about the same as ignoring first gear in the MT82, so you either have to run massive gears in the rear (and hear that insane gear whine) or never plan to take off from a stop. Then, there's the laundry list of parts needed to swap it. yikes!

Once you get this all designed and orders here satisfied you should definitely put some posts up on AFM, Corral, TMS, etc. I Think you could get enough business to support your racing for a few years. Maybe even to buy a used Boss ;D

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

pufferfish said:
Wayne, there isn't a list to speak of. Just keep your eye on this thread for further details.

I honestly wouldn't switch to the XL unless power levels demanded it. The 2.97 gearset has a nasty rpm drop from 3rd to 4th. the 2.66 gearset has good gear spacing, but its about the same as ignoring first gear in the MT82, so you either have to run massive gears in the rear (and hear that insane gear whine) or never plan to take off from a stop. Then, there's the laundry list of parts needed to swap it. yikes!

+1
You can swap in two MT-82 used transmissions for the cost of the swap to the Tremec and still have a little change. I have 2, 1 I am going to have Rev auto go through later this year to do their upgrades, after that one is swapped in I will do the same with the current trans. Salvage or take out trans are available out there for $1200-$1800 all day. It's not that bad of a trans, and if Steve's setup works as well as you say it will be great.
Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

steveespo said:
+1
You can swap in two MT-82 used transmissions for the cost of the swap to the Tremec and still have a little change. I have 2, 1 I am going to have Rev auto go through later this year to do their upgrades, after that one is swapped in I will do the same with the current trans. Salvage or take out trans are available out there for $1200-$1800 all day. It's not that bad of a trans, and if Steve's setup works as well as you say it will be great.
Steve
and I have seen people upgrade to make them take the abuse

Since I have swapped back to the ford fluid and additive my car shifts so smooth it's unbelievable.

Since driving a t5 equipped 91lx 5.0 everyday the mt-82 feels like a dream transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

pufferfish said:
I anticipate being able to show off the product and final pricing the beginning of August. I will be offering a pre-order discount at that time.

Updates? Pre-order pricing? August is here!!

Grant 302 said:
Updates? Pre-order pricing? August is here!!
In for update.

I picked up my Boss yesterday with a brand new, complete transmission assembly installed. I'm still in for this mystery device to prevent any future issues with the new transmission.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

I was working on the official announcement, just before going on a family vacation and didn't have time to finish it. Stay tuned next week for the launch!

Thats great news Steve. Guys, you will not be disapointed. before you install the part. take one last final drive in your car and feel the way it shifts, and remember that. Then after you put the car in the air and are about to get under it you can say good by to your shifting lockouts/missed gears. If you have the same outcome as I did you will be a very happy person.
Then the next thing your going to do is say WTF Ford....Why couldnt you think of this and cover it under a recall and save me as a happy coustmer.

IMO...BLOWFISH RACING gets the MOD OF THE YEAR AWARD.
Hell I even bought his tow hook because I didnt have to cut my cover and I think it looks better in the center. It's called Paying attention to detail and function. Job well done sir!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Very nice. After a clutch replacement, spring removal, SS Line, MGW Shifter, Trans oil changes, it's better, but still has room for improvement.

I will buy the mystery mod just for the piece of mind. It has been great following this thread and reading the reviews from each tester.

Very interested in reading the announcement and the logic of this fix. Thank you for all of the work and pre-release testing to bring us a tried and true fix.

All the Best,
Dave, (2HP)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

TymeSlayer said:
Will be different versions for those with OEM, Barton or MGW shifters?

I believe there already is.

Steve sent out Beta versions to folks with different shifters.

Standing by for release.

Should be this week.

TymeSlayer said:
Will be different versions for those with OEM, Barton or MGW shifters?

I believe towards the end, there will be a single version that works with most shifters.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

The day you have all been waiting for is here! Patent is filed. Final pricing is set. First article is being built now for test fitting and then the first 200 units will be ready around Labor Day.

The burning question...what is it and how does it work? Well, lets look at the OE confirguration.

stockerexample-1_zpsad7f5cec.jpg
REF-originalconfiguration_zpsc7628b71.jpg

As you can see, this is the stocker. Single arm that attaches the shifter to the transmission. Then, a rubber isolator mount that attaches the back of the shifter to the body. Ford did this for one reason only...comfort.

This is called a semi-remote mounted shifter. This is commonplace in the industry today. All 2005 and up Mustangs use it, Camaros use it, Challengers use it, BMWs use it, and even the GT500 and Boss factory race cars use it. They all suffer from some form of shifting issues, but nothing like the MT82. The reason the problem isn't as bad is the fact that they all use a twin beam arm to attach to the transmission.

Why does a twin beam work better? Well, under acceleration, the engines torque is attempting to be transmitted through the driveline and to the ground to propel the car. The act of trying to propel the car causes the drivetrain to rock in the opposite direction of the driveshaft rotation. We call this "torquing". When torquing occurs, the transmission moves, but since the shifter is half attached to the transmission and half to the body, it ends up twisting. Twin beams naturally resist more of the twist than a single beam can, but 400ftlbs of torque can still overcome this, so engineers put soft bushings between all of the connections to allow the twist to happen without breaking the shifter assembly.

We are all aware of the products out there to try to fix the shifting issues. They all involve stiffer bushings. Shifters use them at the body mount to resist flex, but its a placebo. The Whiteline insert has a better approach in it tries to reduce the transmission flexing. The CHE torque brace does the same thing. The MGW shifter uses heavy internal springs to try to compensate for the misalignment that occurs under torquing.

Drivers get very different results because they all shift differently. For some, a little bit of tightening is enough...most of the time. For others, the helper springs in the MGW fixes it. For others, like myself, nothing worked. I came from a T5 transmission in a 95 Mustang to this car. I mastered the art of powershifting on that car and tried to apply it to this one. The MT82 was having none of that. So, I had to slow things down. What I came to realize was the semi-remote shifter arrangement was to blame. All of my previous transmission experience was with a shifter firmly attached to the transmission case. So, I set out to find out if converting the semi-remote shifter to a hard mount shifter would fix the problems. Well, of course the answer was HELL YEAH!! I finally was able to love my car without any significant drawbacks. The shifter issues that made my driving experience less than enjoyable was ELIMINATED! Its so simple. Why didn't this solution come out sooner? Who knows, but I aimed to share my newfound Mustang enjoyment with the world!

So, here it is:
SSB-1_zpsecc2a6f8.jpg

Sturdy 1/4" thick steel ties the rear of the shifter to the transmission and as an added bonus, you get an NHRA legal driveshaft safety loop at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE! The billet aluminum adapter clamps to the shifter box "snout. You also get an adapter that will work with your MGW shifter:
SSB-MGW_zps62da2a50.jpg

As reported, it shouldn't take more than 1.5 hours to install with hand tools. For those of you who struggled a bit with the beta installations, I listened. The final design will make it much easier. Literally, the longest part of the install time is getting the car up so you can work underneath it.

So, I beat my vendors down as long as I could to get the pricing into everyman territory. I didn't quite get to where I wanted to be, but its close. Final retail price will be $299.99 plus shipping.

FOR ALL OF AUGUST, I WILL BE OFFERING PRE-ORDER PRICING OF $229.99 PLUS SHIPPING. SALE HAD TO END EARLY DUE TO AN OVERWHELMING RESPONSE AND THE ENTIRE FIRST BATCH BEING PURCHASED. BARRING ANY UNFORSEEN ISSUES IN THE SUPPLY CHAIN, ORDERS WILL START BEING FULFILLED BY LABOR DAY ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED BASIS. BETA TESTERS WILL OF COURSE BE AT THE FRONT OF THE LINE;)

ORDERS CAN BE PLACED DIRECTLY ON THE SITE HERE:
https://www.blowfishracing.com/drivetrain/99-2011-2014-mustang-v6gtboss-shifter-support-bracket.html

If Blowfish Racing's computer isn't jamed up with orders than your missing out on the Mod of the S197. Thats a Great price for what you will receive. Job well done.

FORD TAKE A CLOSE LOOK AT WHAT YOUR ENGINEERS SHOULD OF DESIGNED AS A RECALL. :mad:

Yes I'm angry at Ford and have $45,000 reasons.

TMO Supporting Vendors