The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i am very happy with the results of the prototype isolation mount. i am going forward with this solution and hope to have it available in about 4-5 weeks. it will be offered as a retrofit to existing customers and included in kits at the same time.

i also test fit the new MGW adapter and it fits well and offers very good clearance around the body studs. thats a wrap too!

the prototype 2015 version was installed today at rev auto. i won't have any driving impressions for a few weeks, due to everyone bailing for SEMA next week, but just as it improves the feel for the 2011-14, it does so for the 15's as well. one thing to note is ford's "improved" shifter, is not a suitable fix. when adam first took the car to the track, he reported being able to powershift without issue, which is great, but after looking at it, the bushing that attaches the arm to the trans is now totally sloppy. so, don't be fooled people! give them some miles and then come on down and get it fixed up right with the Blowfish Racing Shifter Support!

pufferfish said:
i am very happy with the results of the prototype isolation mount. i am going forward with this solution and hope to have it available in about 4-5 weeks. it will be offered as a retrofit to existing customers and included in kits at the same time.

i also test fit the new MGW adapter and it fits well and offers very good clearance around the body studs. thats a wrap too!
Awesome Steve! How will we go about ordering the retrofit kit?

pufferfish said:

Great news Steve! Am looking forward to the isolation mount.
Can you provide any details on the retrofit isolation mount?
Will this be offered to existing customers at no cost, or is this something we will have to purchase?
TIA

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i can't quite answer the when or how much, as costing is not nailed down yet. the retrofit kits will not be free, but not a profitable item either. i hope to have all of this defined this week.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
pufferfish said:
i can't quite answer the when or how much, as costing is not nailed down yet. the retrofit kits will not be free, but not a profitable item either. i hope to have all of this defined this week.

Steve

Will finally be home on Thursday.

Would like to install your fit right away. Will the retrograde require removal of the frame of your kit to install? If so, I'll wait.

Tracy

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the new mgw mount can be installed without removal. the isolating mount for the stock box might be able to be installed without pulling the upper bracket off, but it would be much easier to do with the upper bracket off.

its up to you whether you want to wait or not. the hardest part of the install or retrofit is getting the car up. if getting the car up is not a big deal for you, i would install it now and see if you need this retrofit kit at all.

I have cutted the edges of the MGW-Bracket as shown in my post from Oct. 22., so that there is no contact to the studs anymore, but it is still much more loud inside than before, especially when revving the engine, or when driving 80 or 90 mph (which is normal in Germany). I have removed the heatshild because there was no space for it after mounting the Blowfish-shifter-support.
Shifting is great now!

Best regards

Hans

Hans said:
I have cutted the edges of the MGW-Bracket as shown in my post from Oct. 22., so that there is no contact to the studs anymore, but it is still much more loud inside than before, especially when revving the engine, or when driving 80 or 90 mph (which is normal in Germany). I have removed the heatshild because there was no space for it after mounting the Blowfish-shifter-support.
Shifting is great now!

Best regards

Hans

Many guys have installed the heat shield with some minor changes to it.

I DID NOT re-install the heat shield nor did I cut the stock mounting studs.

I have the Blowfish MGW bracket mounted with the rounded edges facing the back of the car, with the shifter housing pulled down just enough to clear the studs. Works perfectly with no additional sounds than the original Ford Shifter. There is a very slight vibration in the shifter ball but nothing I would call bad. Had I not driven the car with just the MGW without the Blowfish I would not have noticed any difference.

The combined MGW and Blowfish for me is working really well. No weird sounds at any RPM in any gear. To be fair I don't track my car just some aggressive canyon carving.

Calif boss302 said:

I have the Blowfish MGW bracket mounted with the rounded edges facing the back of the car, with the shifter housing pulled down just enough to clear the studs. Works perfectly with no additional sounds than the original Ford Shifter. There is a very slight vibration in the shifter ball but nothing I would call bad. Had I not driven the car with just the MGW without the Blowfish I would not have noticed any difference.

The combined MGW and Blowfish for me is working really well. No weird sounds at any RPM in any gear. To be fair I don't track my car just some aggressive canyon carving.

If you get no noise at WOT then I don't think you're going to get a noise.

Calif boss302 said:

My experience as well.

-Jeff

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Finally had an opportunity to install the bracket today.

Hardest part was removing the MGW heat shield.

Shifter works great. Very deliberate feel to shifting.

Yes, a slight increase in vibration which can be felt if you hold on to the shift knob.

Since hands are both supposed to be on the wheel.....Whats the issue??

Great product Steve!!

See you at VIR

pufferfish said:

I emailed you about my shifter buzzing / rattling also. Looking forward to the retrofit fix :)

There is a picture and a posting at the blowfish-Facebook-site "Next gen 2011-1014 shifter support kit first article is tested and approved for release! "Buzzy" noise has been eradicated! This design will be offered as a retrofit for those with noise issues as well as be the mainstay design platform moving forward. Expect them early dec 2014."
https://www.facebook.com/mustangblowfishracing?fref=ts

Hans

shuvl70

2013 Grabber Blue #216
AZ
pufferfish said:
The next gen will be coming soon. Parts for kitting up are coming in the next couple of weeks
What's the plan for owners of the first generation? What parts are different ? Thanks

TMO Supporting Vendors