The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well Ill be jiggered....... Car arrived home and as it came up the hill to my house.... another part of the header failed (the other side this time). We took it out and its full of fractures on the mounts that go to the engine and down where we added the collectors... It blew the center out just ike the other side...

These Kooks headers went in about 5 years ago and have been raced alot.. I guess I never really considered them a wear Item.

Either get some new ARH headers ($$$$ and wait list till the seasons over) or buy what ever I can get my hands on and plunk on a really good collector.

1629856671401.png
Here you can see the light peaking thru a hole where the tube goes to the mounting base.

1629856784542.png
Almost all of them are like this......

Weld it and shove it back in for now... but its seems like its days are numbered.

Bummer.

A buddy is looking to pick up a Ferrari 355 and headers are a wear item on them. So in that context yeah apparently headers can be a consumable.

Then again I read on here that everything is a consumable on a race car so there you go...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Bummer.

A buddy is looking to pick up a Ferrari 355 and headers are a wear item on them. So in that context yeah apparently headers can be a consumable.

Then again I read on here that everything is a consumable on a race car so there you go...
True... Even the driver is a consumable!! I am worn out!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
turns out we have these at the shop... They were as a emergency spare!

1629863494414.png

Chinese headers costing about US$250 in the USA. Might be a short term option and then slap on some cool merge collectors later.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Will check, but I have not seen anything down here. Will probably wrap these cheap headers. But for now it was quicker to weld up the Kooks for one last race while we work on a custom merge collector for the new ones. At least it looks like we will get on the track..

Oddly enough.. the Chinese headers look a little better made and are quite a bit longer then the Kooks.. These are stepped from 1.75" to 1.875" and the welds actually look a little more robust. My friend has one installed in his 2013 GT and the car is at 420rwhp with minimum upgrades, so they cant be terrible.

The price is nice, thats for sure.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Talking about being cheap... Took a leap of faith and bought these today.

1630083338971.png
They cost me $900 for the set... They are as wide as the Hoosiers 315/30-18, but almost an inch taller. Will take my 6 best hoosiers to the race on Sunday but next race will try these out. These are Mediums and seem pretty sticky...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Talking about being cheap... Took a leap of faith and bought these today.

View attachment 67838
They cost me $900 for the set... They are as wide as the Hoosiers 315/30-18, but almost an inch taller. Will take my 6 best hoosiers to the race on Sunday but next race will try these out. These are Mediums and seem pretty sticky...
In for updates.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Car is ready to go... at last, sort of. Thought I would change a front ARP wheel stud as the thread was getting worn. Took out the stud and opened a brand new pack of ARP front studs only to find that the were mislabeled at the factory and were rear studs!!! :banghead: Then when I put the old one back in it seized.... Hectic scramble to the shop and with luck we found a old one in good shape to swap in.

That and a small oil leak probably from the speedo sensor... that will have to wait... Wing plates have magic Blacksheep stickers so the car should be fast!!

Its got its trundling tires on and its off to the racers tomorrow!!

1630197832312.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Car is ready to go... at last, sort of. Thought I would change a front ARP wheel stud as the thread was getting worn. Took out the stud and opened a brand new pack of ARP front studs only to find that the were mislabeled at the factory and were rear studs!!! :banghead: Then when I put the old one back in it seized.... Hectic scramble to the shop and with luck we found a old one in good shape to swap in.

That and a small oil leak probably from the speedo sensor... that will have to wait... Wing plates have magic Blacksheep stickers so the car should be fast!!

Its got its trundling tires on and its off to the racers tomorrow!!

View attachment 67897
Best of luck!

TMO Supporting Vendors