The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well the engine is on a plane... go figure... It cost more to track the engine across the US then to fly it to Chile from Miami. Dam Setrab 948 did not make it on time so will have to bring the later. Don't know if we will make it for the march 6th race but certainly for the next.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Well the engine is on a plane... go figure... It cost more to track the engine across the US then to fly it to Chile from Miami. Dam Setrab 948 did not make it on time so will have to bring the later. Don't know if we will make it for the march 6th race but certainly for the next.
Progress is progress.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If you haven't already, pickup one of these.

Yes the gen 1 part will physically bolt up but there are differences in the sealing surfaces and it comes with -12 fittings. Ford specifically says to run -12 lines on gen 2 and 3 Coyotes. (not -10)
Also, I don't use a thermostat in race cars. Its just one more thing to restrict and divert oil flow unnecessarily.
Just -12 to remote filter, (I'm not a fan of sandwich blocks) then to the cooler with the fittings on top or side (never on the bottom) and back to the block with a minimum of angled fittings. That's it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
So quick visit to Summit and the part is on the way, pretty much given up on the March 6th race as I dont want to rush things. Better have it all right and tested before heading out to battle. My history of last minute work is not steller........

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So quick visit to Summit and the part is on the way, pretty much given up on the March 6th race as I dont want to rush things. Better have it all right and tested before heading out to battle. My history of last minute work is not steller........
We are all pulling for you.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Pull pull away.... so far, so very very fustrating... Waiting for a key part to arrive for the new windage tray and its stuck in limbo. Will probably have to run the engine with just its crank scraper and and the new tray with the next oil change.

Dying to get out and try the car, but without the engine in the car I will be stuck making engine sounds in the drivers seat. No engine ready, means no lift time scheduled.... No lift time means no engine in the car...... Hate depending on a external shop. Race day is April 3!! running out of time.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pull pull away.... so far, so very very fustrating... Waiting for a key part to arrive for the new windage tray and its stuck in limbo. Will probably have to run the engine with just its crank scraper and and the new tray with the next oil change.

Dying to get out and try the car, but without the engine in the car I will be stuck making engine sounds in the drivers seat. No engine ready, means no lift time scheduled.... No lift time means no engine in the car...... Hate depending on a external shop. Race day is April 3!! running out of time.
I'm right behind you. Should have my motor next week.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol,,... no, not mine... car is at the shop. Thats a Nitro S550 thats prepped for drag. One day I would like to have a lift at home.

If I have time, will take the car to a Dyno just for fun. Hoping for some thing close to 500rwhp. @Fabman is getting his version of the same engine together as well. Looks like mine will be first by a hair.

The new "custom" ebay sourced header is much longer then the Kooks. So will have to modify the exhaust as well. Hoping sound will not be affected as our limit is 90db in a sound booth.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Lol,,... no, not mine... car is at the shop. Thats a Nitro S550 thats prepped for drag. One day I would like to have a lift at home.

If I have time, will take the car to a Dyno just for fun. Hoping for some thing close to 500rwhp. @Fabman is getting his version of the same engine together as well. Looks like mine will be first by a hair.

The new "custom" ebay sourced header is much longer then the Kooks. So will have to modify the exhaust as well. Hoping sound will not be affected as our limit is 90db in a sound booth.
I would definitely have Shaun tune that thing before it hits the track.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
No ifs, buts or doubts!! Pushing to have the car logged Tuesday. Already have the base tune ready. Going un-tuned would be Madness....
*whew*

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
... Waiting for a key part to arrive for the new windage tray and its stuck in limbo...
Imagine that, we get our parts from the same place!

... I have a TV, on the back it says "Built In Antenna" I haven't a clue where that is.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Hi tech oilier upper thingy.

View attachment 74038

Actually worked like a charm and all 12 Liters went in under pressure.
Did you pump the oil in where the oil pressure sender goes?
I have one of these from Allstar and that's how I did it....it took quite a while to do 4 quarts.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Did you pump the oil in where the oil pressure sender goes?
I have one of these from Allstar and that's how I did it....it took quite a while to do 4 quarts.
Yes, with the garden sprayer it was actually quite quick, So all 12L of oil went through the oil pressure sender unit. I remember seeing it n your build thread a while back, but this unit cost me about US$30:p. I gave it to the shop so they use it on all the other Coyotes that are coming in now.

TMO Supporting Vendors