The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What a great track today, had a riot! Engine was strong, but pads were very worn. Had a hard time keeping ahead of the flock of Porsches today. Since the gearbox transplant, third was basically without a syncro, as was reverse, I guess it was put together badly.

Kept below 7800rpm just in case but temps stayed a steady 240 degrees all day.

Here is a video of the 1st race... Will see what I can edit from the car.

The Dunlop used slicks were almost identical in feel and grip to the Hoosiers.... Nice find!

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
What a great track today, had a riot! Engine was strong, but pads were very worn. Had a hard time keeping ahead of the flock of Porsches today. Since the gearbox transplant, third was basically without a syncro, as was reverse, I guess it was put together badly.

Kept below 7800rpm just in case but temps stayed a steady 240 degrees all day.

Here is a video of the 1st race... Will see what I can edit from the car.

The Dunlop used slicks were almost identical in feel and grip to the Hoosiers.... Nice find!
What a great track! Nice production and I love the announcers. They are doing a great job there. Makes me want to come race with you guys. Good to see you back on Track.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Having announced some races myself, like Fabman I was enjoying the crazy excitement the Race Commentators were helping build. Better call Fabman and Oldman ( me ) the next time you have an Enduro , because we need to come down and " Chile Out " with you. Thanks for posting , and congrats on the solid run. What a great track and absolutely stunning scenery!

Last edited:
Awesome race, that thing comes off the corner like jack the rat, good job!
I love racing in other countries, I have no idea what the announcers were saying, but you could tell they were getting into it.
Give me some info on the Dunlops, I'm not familiar with them, but I can dig around. I was on the "Dunlop deal" back in my karting days.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Congrats on #2 !!! I didn't seem to find you on the podium presentations. But it was good to see the podium gals again.

This pass of a Clubsport with technical problems landed me a 5 second penalty...... dam and the girls were really nice this time!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

This pass of a Clubsport with technical problems landed me a 5 second penalty...... dam and the girls were really nice this time!
That’s a penalty? That’s my favorite move!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hmmm, Fabman and Oldman may not be able to come down and race with you , since it appears you get penalized for a classic pass! Like Fab and BS I am baffled since I would have made the same move, the door was wide open and just asking you to enter!! " Ingresar, Madhatter, das tur ist offen!" Nothing like trying to use a little German and Spanish with a Chilean Porsche driver , but tell us the final outcome if you have any luck getting the penalty rescinded?

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Penalty for what?
Should be obvious. He embarrassed the Porsche driver.
The door was not simply left open. He opened the door, went inside and brought you a beer. I’m not a W2W guy….but I would have walked through that opening.
Most importantly. Where are the pictures of the trophy ladies?? Asking for a friend.:hellyeah:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heck, the Porsche driver could not even complain ( though he must have ) because he would be ridiculed all the way to Zuffenhausen if he said he was outbraked by a Mustang. Of course that is one of our secret weapons, since no one expects the rumbling Steed to be able to whoa so well and it makes some passes fun and surprising to the uninitiated. Watched this vid clip numerous times and I am not seeing how a penalty could have been called or even suggested. I love Porsches, but I do know there are some guys that are whiners, and was that the issue for you?

The Porsche guys in the Midwest often run with PCA and SCCA or NASA and many are quite fast and aggressive.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Boom!! and thats the way we do it! :hellyeah:
Yup and then you park 'em and run off.
You gotta use all the tricks when you're racing big money with homemade racecars.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The thing I love about the "old" stick axle S197. Is its ability of punching way above its on paper specs. The porsches make the mistake of getting right on my tail in the corners only to fall flat when they need torque for corner exit. They would do better to give me some space on some corners and use the higher mid cornering speeds to pass me... But I not going to tell them!

Then again, they also say the Cobrajet manifold is a Supercharger and I have 800 rwhp:sneaky:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The thing I love about the "old" stick axle S197. Is its ability of punching way above its on paper specs. The porsches make the mistake of getting right on my tail in the corners only to fall flat when they need torque for corner exit. They would do better to give me some space on some corners and use the higher mid cornering speeds to pass me... But I not going to tell them!

Then again, they also say the Cobrajet manifold is a Supercharger and I have 800 rwhp:sneaky:
Funny how that is...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Oh, by the way the other two mustangs in the videos are my friends and they have Cortex setups and all the usual TMO goodies, one with Nitro and the other can drive but 420rwhp does not get you far.

TMO Supporting Vendors