The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
After the first start up, my bet is that we will end up adding another liter or two of oil. the Setrab 948 is pretty dam big!
I bought one of the Motive Power Fill a while back because I got tired of pumping transmission fluid. Just hit it with compressed air and ready to rock. This worked really well to prime the engine on the stand, cam covers off. I found it reassuring to see the oil flowing on all of the valve springs and followers. Once the engine was installed, I filled the entire system through the 1/8” NPT port on the remote filter mount. By filling there, the anti-drainback of the filter pushes the oil through the cooler and into the engine so the cooler would have oil at startup. Seemed to work well.

A989A792-090C-4350-B98F-A65FFE27DF53.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Yes, with the garden sprayer it was actually quite quick, So all 12L of oil went through the oil pressure sender unit. I remember seeing it n your build thread a while back, but this unit cost me about US$30:p. I gave it to the shop so they use it on all the other Coyotes that are coming in now.
Sweet!

Yes, with the garden sprayer it was actually quite quick, So all 12L of oil went through the oil pressure sender unit. I remember seeing it n your build thread a while back, but this unit cost me about US$30:p. I gave it to the shop so they use it on all the other Coyotes that are coming in now.
Dude, that is freaking brilliant, people like you need to get the Nobel award

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
1648746171268.png

Dam,,, new headers are making the xpipe install a little tricky. Running out of time to log the car and get a tune in time for Sunday.... fingers crossed.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeee Haaaa!! almost forgot how to drive the thing... Some late night logs are off to wizard. Hope all is fine and we can get some racing done..

Its fast... Forgot how fast these things are.......
Can’t wait for the update!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, we have a strict 90db noise limit AND no more the 20 cars per grid. So we had to take out the smaller cars and leave them racing apart from us. But still left with a pretty good lot of cars!

These are the cars that have paid up to race on Sunday...

1648850966335.png

No less then 4 GT4's..... Great test of the motor! Will be running the qually session on a brand new set of new set of R7's and then racing on some Dunlop scrubs form the GT3 class. The are narrower and taller then the Hoosiers at 300/680-18, but the have set some pretty good lap times. I have a second chance at qualifying higher if Dunlops turn out to be faster in any case.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well, we have a strict 90db noise limit AND no more the 20 cars per grid. So we had to take out the smaller cars and leave them racing apart from us. But still left with a pretty good lot of cars!

These are the cars that have paid up to race on Sunday...

View attachment 74134

No less then 4 GT4's..... Great test of the motor! Will be running the qually session on a brand new set of new set of R7's and then racing on some Dunlop scrubs form the GT3 class. The are narrower and taller then the Hoosiers at 300/680-18, but the have set some pretty good lap times. I have a second chance at qualifying higher if Dunlops turn out to be faster in any case.
Will be interesting to see which is fastest. I have to run DOTs so it basically Hoosier or nothing.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
not a bad choice... Hoosiers are probably the longest lasting track tire. At least in the smiles per mile category.

These Dunlop scrubs are US$ 350 a set.. so am really praying they turn out to be a valid option,

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
not a bad choice... Hoosiers are probably the longest lasting track tire. At least in the smiles per mile category.

These Dunlop scrubs are US$ 350 a set.. so am really praying they turn out to be a valid option,
well the price is certainly right.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Huh, $350 a set, Mad you have been down South toooooooo long, they immediately proved to be a valid option once you said $350 a set!!!!!!! Darn, if they wear quickly you might have to spend $700, oh, heck, go ahead and order 2-3 sets now!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Having a little bit of a noise issue from the timing chain.... A bit worried about racing tomorrow. But the sound did decrease quite a bit after the first old change after about 4 hours of use....

Went from 5W30 to M1 5w50.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel