The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Dam Hippie has a meter as well.
He's not the first, and won't be the last.
Best get some mufflers on that thing that have a lot of glass in them.
The glass doesn't hurt performance, but it sure helps deaden the sound.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Having the gas tank out of mine really made the exhaust system easy.
The stock rear mounted space is pretty limited to a turbo style muffler.
I can show you what I used to run that made laguna seca sound and still fit.....it was a tight fit, but they fit.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Having the gas tank out of mine really made the exhaust system easy.
The stock rear mounted space is pretty limited to a turbo style muffler.
I can show you what I used to run that made laguna seca sound and still fit.....it was a tight fit, but they fit.
was that the big pipe that attached to the two flows and dumped out one side? was looking for that in your thread with out success.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You guys are having too much fun with this.
I believe once you merge the pipes together with an X or H any additional X's or H's probably don't help.
Yes, they add a small amount of volume to the pipes which is good, but they also create turbulence which is not good, so I don't think there is a net gain there, though I could be wrong about that. Efficient sound absorption and exit proximity is the answer. A big body muffler with lots of glass will be quieter than a long muffler that has a small body and also will be better performing. I'm looking up the exact mufflers I ran before but we're pretty busy today and I don't want to make a mistake so I'll get back here with the information when I can.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I think your probably right for the third cross over, the additional H after the X pipe did bring down the noise level before.. But am not so confident the extra H will do much now. looking into the J pipes as well.. but are those more for drone then actual sound levels?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Almost positive its these:

If this is the correct number it is the ONLY 3" muffler in this style that is 3"" inside. The rest are 2 1/2" inside.
I ran them for a year and they just started to blow the meter at laguna towards the end and I had to use the laguna pipe to get by.

Look in the footnotes of their other similar muffler....have to be careful to get the right number....I'll verify when I can.
flow.PNG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think your probably right for the third cross over, the additional H after the X pipe did bring down the noise level before.. But am not so confident the extra H will do much now. looking into the J pipes as well.. but are those more for drone then actual sound levels?
Adding volume to the exhaust is always a good thing.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What about adding two or three 1/4 wavelength resonator pipes to cancel several wavelengths, the problem is what is the typical exhaust gas temp of a coyote engine at full throttle....?

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
my Musicians mind kept reading this as D Flat instead of Decibels. LOL.
If you get kicked out for sound, it's a DbM, but if you only get a warning it's a Dbm. If you try to quiet it down after the warning, it's Dbdim. You have to be careful, because if you argue with the officials too much after getting a DbM, you can end up on a Dbsus list.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If you get kicked out for sound, it's a DbM, but if you only get a warning it's a Dbm. If you try to quiet it down after the warning, it's Dbdim. You have to be careful, because if you argue with the officials too much after getting a DbM, you can end up on a Dbsus list.
Hahahah you nailed it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Why not just offer the Sound Engineer at the track some fine Chilean wine! That is a Dbrib, and you might just be under the radar after that?
We used to do that... but he was easy. He would take a hamburger to get us bye. But once the authorities threatened to close the track down for good, that all went out the window.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel