The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Driving back home from the Dyno... I was struck that here I am, stuck in rush hour, driving a car with over 600hp at the motor and it feels like a sporty but normal car....
That's the beauty of this combo. It drives like stock.
No wild cams, locked phasers or big valve springs stressing the internals....the reliability of stock parts.
Also, you don't have a narrow powerband with a big peak hp# and a soggy bottom/midrange.
Power everywhere.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
😭 Not down here!! But my mechanic is mixing his own e85 and its getting a little more affordable for me know.
You have access to 99% pure ethanol?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The 98% Ethanol based e85 is about 8 bucks a gallon, which is about the same as my 98 octane race gas. regular pump 93 is about $5.50

Prepared, imported E85 race gas is super expensive, thats about $17 a gallon. Right now my mechanic is making a Dyno comparision between race E85 and backyard e85.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The 98% Ethanol based e85 is about 8 bucks a gallon, which is about the same as my 98 octane race gas. regular pump 93 is about $5.50

Prepared, imported E85 race gas is super expensive, thats about $17 a gallon. Right now my mechanic is making a Dyno comparision between race E85 and backyard e85.
I doubt there is a performance advantage, its more of a consistency issue.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
There may be some different additives in the race E85. You may be able to glean some info by comparing the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for race E85 to regular race gas from a couple suppliers. However, as most of the "recipes" are considered trade secrets, you'll only get general percentages of hazardous chemicals, but it gives you a ballpark idea.

Actually, it looks like Sunoco E85-R has fewer additives listed than their 260GT or 260GTX.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup... here are the results on a new Mach1 10spd. the car came in with a custom exhaust, LTH and no cats, and tune with 478 rwhp. using a homegrown e85 got the car to 495. With the Imported race e85 it went up 500rwhp. So the home mixed E85 was pretty decent.. But it would depend on who mixed it etc.

Will wait to see Sal's numbers and the engine temps before looking seriously E85

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
There may be some different additives in the race E85. You may be able to glean some info by comparing the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for race E85 to regular race gas from a couple suppliers. However, as most of the "recipes" are considered trade secrets, you'll only get general percentages of hazardous chemicals, but it gives you a ballpark idea.

Actually, it looks like Sunoco E85-R has fewer additives listed than their 260GT or 260GTX.
I was surprised to see that Sunoco 260GTX has the same additives as the typical octane boosters.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The one thing that has me mystified, is why is the fuel consumption so much lower then before. Its really quite startling... its like completely different. So either Shaun has a magic touch or some thing was really wrong with the car before... OR BOTH.

With out trying to exaggerate and tell tall tales... track consumption is down at least 20%. I asked |Shaun about it and he said the motor is more efficient now but the drop is more then you would expect.

Last weekend I had 1/2 a tank of race fuel in the car. I drove the 100k to the track, had two short sessions and had plenty of fuel to get back home.

:idontknow:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yup... here are the results on a new Mach1 10spd. the car came in with a custom exhaust, LTH and no cats, and tune with 478 rwhp. using a homegrown e85 got the car to 495. With the Imported race e85 it went up 500rwhp. So the home mixed E85 was pretty decent.. But it would depend on who mixed it etc.

Will wait to see Sal's numbers and the engine temps before looking seriously E85
My temps with the last motor (basically the same motor as now but not ported) were good.
Never ran hot even on the hottest days over 100* turning north of 8k with my electric water pump that "wasn't supposed to work"....not worried about temps at all. Water or oil. I never even turn my fan on except sitting in the paddock.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The one thing that has me mystified, is why is the fuel consumption so much lower then before. Its really quite startling... its like completely different. So either Shaun has a magic touch or some thing was really wrong with the car before... OR BOTH.

With out trying to exaggerate and tell tall tales... track consumption is down at least 20%. I asked |Shaun about it and he said the motor is more efficient now but the drop is more then you would expect.

Last weekend I had 1/2 a tank of race fuel in the car. I drove the 100k to the track, had two short sessions and had plenty of fuel to get back home.

:idontknow:
Its all about efficency....he gets the most of of every drop of fuel.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Who would have thought that you get 50hp more, and 20% less fuel consumption. Impressive.
I know, I hear everyone crying that e85 fuel consumption is so terrible....and I'm like, "its really not that bad"...but you how it is, what do I know right?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Who would have thought that you get 50hp more, and 20% less fuel consumption. Impressive.
I've run 35 minute races at 8K rpm with 15 gallons of fuel and never run out, so it's not that bad.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Tuned in and waiting for your numbers! Lets see what these terrible twins do with different fuels.
Gotta be really similar, and that's close enough for me.
Beyond the HP numbers, you got a really nice torque bump.
The odd thing is the peak power@rpm is lower than I expected.
The peak on my old motor was 7850, some 400 rpm higher. I don't know if that's something with the new motor or something in your car is limiting it....exhaust maybe. How many mufflers you got on that thing?
I would think with the ported heads we'd see a higher ceiling, not lower. As for an e85 bump, the difference from right off the trailer with 91 octane to the final tune with e85 was only 12 hp, so its not a ton and that included several tune refinements.
We shall see soon enough.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors