The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Pribble said:
I'm getting there. I did collect some quick street data with the 302R configuration before Polar Vortex 2014 hit (only lasted one day for us) and I'm still getting my head around it. Right now I am mapping the 2012 Mustang AiM config against the 302R AiM config on a spreadsheet, because they use different channel names for the same things (Why AiM, WHY??? :mad:) and adding plain names. There are some channel names that I can't figure-out at all and there is not any standard (apparently), nor any documentation for either the 2012 Mustang or 302R config.

My intention is to get everything together and start a "How to get started with an AiM system" thread in the how-to forum. Then the AiM people can come together and help solve the mystery channels and share tips, tricks, and maybe even math channel formulas and track data. We can geek-out on very specific AiM and Race Studio stuff. I'm no expert, either, but I figure we will be soon enough. ;)

And yes, it does appear that the brake pressure channel works fine. I'll do better testing soon (I get TracKey on Saturday.) ;)

What channels are you having trouble with?

Jimmy Pribble said:
I'm getting there. I did collect some quick street data with the 302R configuration before Polar Vortex 2014 hit (only lasted one day for us) and I'm still getting my head around it. Right now I am mapping the 2012 Mustang AiM config against the 302R AiM config on a spreadsheet, because they use different channel names for the same things (Why AiM, WHY??? :mad:) and adding plain names. There are some channel names that I can't figure-out at all and there is not any standard (apparently), nor any documentation for either the 2012 Mustang or 302R config.

My intention is to get everything together and start a "How to get started with an AiM system" thread in the how-to forum. Then the AiM people can come together and help solve the mystery channels and share tips, tricks, and maybe even math channel formulas and track data. We can geek-out on very specific AiM and Race Studio stuff. I'm no expert, either, but I figure we will be soon enough. ;)

And yes, it does appear that the brake pressure channel works fine. I'll do better testing soon (I get TracKey on Saturday.) ;)

an AIM MXL thread would be awesome, especially for those of us who may be wanting the unit but apprehensive of the work/time involved in getting one installed and setup.

edit: especially since the AIM MXL says it's compatible with 05-07 mustangs

smittytx said:
What channels are you having trouble with?

Two kinds of trouble:

1. Definition: What is channel p_BOO? (This is on 302R config.)

2. Function: Lambda channels are supposed to return A/F ratios, but mine don't seem to return anything. A value of "1" means trouble, but my channels return a "0" value. (2012 Mustang and 302R configs.)

Just examples. We don't have to crap-up this thread. I'll try to finish my mapping project and open that how-to thread shortly.

I see you found the lowest reading dyno in Phoenix. ;) 8,000 RPM's? I forget did you install headers?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
I see you found the lowest reading dyno in Phoenix. ;) 8,000 RPM's? I forget did you install headers?

No headers. 7800 RPM, but it looks like 8K when it bounced off the rev limiter. Car pulls great.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Also this past weekend we had our awards banquet for 2013; I took home third place in points in my class, and 2013 Sportsman of the Year honors. :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaBOSS said:
Also this past weekend we had our awards banquet for 2013; I took home third place in points in my class, and 2013 Sportsman of the Year honors. :)

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the videos. I like the inserted comments too. Is there still a 3rd video forthcoming from this past weekend?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Thanks, Grant! Yes, there is one more video coming, I'll probably get to that tomorrow. I need to work on installing my cooltech rear tow hook tonight.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Didn't get to the rear hook yet; here's the last vid:

http://youtu.be/IYwUaoUCZIA

Also my oil temps were in the (low) 260s on Sunday, with relatively cool weather out here in AZ in the low 70s. I had clean air in front of me as well. Just ordered a 25-row Setrab series-9 cooler to swap out with the FRPP Setrab 15-row. Hopefully that will ensure the oil temps stay reasonable once the ambient temps get up into the 100s later this year...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
After probably a year of sitting in a box in my garage, I installed the CoolTech rear tow hook. Front got installed when the kits first showed up.

5tRQUAV.png

CHGAX9i.png

EpkPqwD.png

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Jimmy Pribble said:
Two kinds of trouble:

1. Definition: What is channel p_BOO? (This is on 302R config.)

2. Function: Lambda channels are supposed to return A/F ratios, but mine don't seem to return anything. A value of "1" means trouble, but my channels return a "0" value. (2012 Mustang and 302R configs.)

Just examples. We don't have to crap-up this thread. I'll try to finish my mapping project and open that how-to thread shortly.

Sorry; I didn't see this until now.

p_BOO is the Brake On/Off switch indicator. Simply indicates when the brake pedal is depressed (but does not indicate to what degree). I believe this triggers from the brake lamp switch.

The lambda channels on mine are also empty, but I haven't taken the time to really delve into this anyhow. I know AiM indicates that you can rig up a bunch of AFR sensors, etc for each cylinder using bungs in the exhaust, maybe the 302Rs have this set up already.

@ArizonaBOSS

I love this thread. Makes me want to go home and start tearing my car apart right now. Of course I can't, since this season just got started. I purchased my car knowing I was going to be doing the same thing as this or at least similar. Thanks for the great right up and I will be using this as a resource when I start my tear down.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Budget Boss said:
@ArizonaBOSS

I love this thread. Makes me want to go home and start tearing my car apart right now. Of course I can't, since this season just got started. I purchased my car knowing I was going to be doing the same thing as this or at least similar. Thanks for the great right up and I will be using this as a resource when I start my tear down.

Right on! If you have any questions that I might be able to help with as you go along, let me know.

TMO Supporting Vendors