The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looks like I as well am experiencing then dreaded wiring harness issues. VCT locked out due to P0023 code. Sensors and contacts appear intact but I will probably replace the connectors after this weekend. Found a wire going into the INTAKE cam controller that had been rubbed bare. Taped it up with some better strain relief and maybe that will fix it. We shall see...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looks like this actually started at Chuckwalla last weekend but I didn't see the CEL until yesterday; which explains why my 4th gear throttle wasn't working at low RPM; having that same low RPM lack of power this weekend due to static cam profiles.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Looks like this actually started at Chuckwalla last weekend but I didn't see the CEL until yesterday; which explains why my 4th gear throttle wasn't working at low RPM; having that same low RPM lack of power this weekend due to static cam profiles.
You must not have been dumped into limp mode then. When my first one went bad at RA I just got the P0020 and P0022 codes, but no apparent timing being pulled. When it happened last year at BIR it went into Honda Civic mode and you could tell all the timing was being pulled. It wasn't limp mode like we see with the P030x codes, but the car goes way down on power and you can tell all 8 cylinders are still working, but more like a 4.6 3v GT, not a Boss motor.

When we had the cam sensors reversed on the back of the head, the VCT sensors ran in a static cam profile like you are seeing. That must be the default mode Ford programmed into it when there is an interruption to the sensors. Hopefully the wire you found rubbed bare was causing your issue. Do you have access to some diagnostic software you can hook up to it and watch the VCT data after repairing that wire?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Nope, no trick software, just the SCT. Heading out on track in 30; we'll see how it goes. Didn't even bother qualifying due to this so I am starting at te back and just gonna cruise around.

Thanks for the info. And yeah, 4.6 GT feels about right lol

Need some help. I installed M2353CA and I got check braking system and the red parking brake light remains on. I have no idea how to clear these. I took the car out for a test drive and everything seemed fine. However, I didn't push it. Any idea?

Budget Boss said:
Need some help. I installed M2353CA and I got check braking system and the red parking brake light remains on. I have no idea how to clear these. I took the car out for a test drive and everything seemed fine. However, I didn't push it. Any idea?
Budget Boss - Please post this over here on this thread rather than in AZ's build thread. https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4314.0 There are a few of us that had trouble with the ones we received back in the fall that were not properly programmed. We go them back but they're sitting in the box since we can't drive (and calibrate) until things thaw out.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looks like I have some soldering in my future. Car still not using VCT. Oh well. 5th overall and second in class today out of 12 or something. Set my personal best yesterday with the issue persisting somehow.

ArizonaBOSS said:
flowerin a, not another one ...

Over 11mph the ABS turns on and all that should go away. If not, you have the wrong module. Dang :(

I have the M2353CA. Maybe should have gotten the M2353C. Don't know this thing was $350 so I would like to find a solution.

That is a funny filter.

5th over and 2nd in class with problems. Not to bad, good driving.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Looks like I have some soldering in my future. Car still not using VCT. Oh well. 5th overall and second in class today out of 12 or something. Set my personal best yesterday with the issue persisting somehow.
Based on what I heard about the race team's problems, you're probably in for a PRS upgrade. Seems like they just kept chasing the issue around the harness until they went the route I did. Now that you're racing the car it will likely get worse :-\

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
ArizonaBOSS said:

I would just like to update this and say that my VCT solenoid and pigtail update was successful, the engine is now fully back in-action and going STRONG.

I also ran a new personal best at this same track this weekend by almost a full second.

Here are videos from Sunday's race:

Video from Sunday's race, my perspective:

Video of the same race from the guy trying to catch me:

We are racing this same track (yet again) this coming weekend with another track org out here in AZ (ProAutosports). More videos to come!

Last edited:
Did you go with the PRS pigtail/harness? Glad you got the gremlins worked out. Good race 8)

From the photo of your car with (I think) Adrian's behind you, I couldn't help but notice that he has a large wing and you don't. Is one in the works? There's no penalty for aero in ST2 is there?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I replaced the (4) VCT solenoids with the 2013 models and spliced the required pigtails for those solenoids (8 wires) into the existing factory harness.

Total cost if you want to DIY: Around $125.

HOPEFULLY these last a lot longer; I've been told 500+ hours with no signs of wear on these newer connectors vs. 20-30 hours to failure on the 2012-style ones I had before.

If I have further problems I'll go PRS--but hopefully I can spend that $1100 elsewhere...like towards a big wing :)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
ArizonaBOSS said:
Got some "flair" for the car this weekend, too...

RvQpfj1.jpg

AZBoss:

Very nice, and I'm happy to see you take your Mustang / Boss to the podium! Very nice indeed.
Good luck this season and rack up a few more wins for yourself and Team Mustang!
All the Best,
Dave
2HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel