The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I think the only weight we are going to get on the car is the final weight when it's ready for corner-balance.

Maybe I can sneak it into the race shop next week and get a "before" weight.

Here's what I'm thinking (gross estimation) on what could be done weight-wise. Pardon my notation, it is a little backwards from what you might normally think.

xJonAcf.png

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
VTBoss302 said:
I can't remember if you have the Ford Racing ABS control module or not...

My $0.02

;)

I do--good catch :) I shall update...

captdistraction said:
Whoa, an Audi 4000? I wonder if one of the cars I've raced against in the audi coupe gt.

Brave and committed souls to chump/lemons race anything Audi made from 82-95.

No words have been written that were more true. And what is to be said of men who have run more than one at a time? It's just sick. We race 1990 Audi 90 quattros, so at LEAST we are a generation ahead of the 4000/CGT. With so few Audis at LeMons/Chump, we tend to make it a point to befriend other competitors. I have a vague memory of a CGT being at one of the races. I don't think I met you, but maybe a teammate did. I think Ken Fluhr might have helped out with mechanical troubles they (you?) might have been having. That probably doesn't narrow it down, but we can probably figure this out.

This is our most well-know iteration of all of our cars. We were told it was unnerving to see a car pointed back at them on the track, with the driver making a rude gesture out the window. You can't see the hand in this photo, because it was on a spring to make it wave and in corners it would sometimes go beneath the sightline of the window.

IMG_52191.jpg

Okay, let's quit crapping-up this guy's thread. I think he has a LeMons/Chump build thread. Maybe he will let us play in there.

thebull said:
Can the brake module be run on a DD? Is it the M 2353 B unit? Thanks

And another question - there is a p/n for an ABS module that comes with a bracket, that is a bit more expensive. I assume we would want the one without the bracket. And who would need the bracket? Isn't that module just for Mustangs that presumably already have a bracket for the ABS module? ???

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The module PN is M-2353-C, and is about $300 without the bracket. That's the one I have, I dunno WTF the bracket is for (which bumps the price to $500 something. You don't need it.

More details on the ABS module in this other thread I made here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3740.msg58316#msg58316

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
IT LIVES!

If you guys ever have a blown fuse you can't find, this is probably it. Here is the PN:

iG0IzvB.jpg

Will start pulling stuff out of the car during the nights next week. Probably get the X-Pipe and tune installed sometime next week as well.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
A little preparation for the X-Pipe install.

Per some suggestion from captdistraction I picked up some header wrap and high-temp grill paint from O'Reilly and got to work wrapping the X-pipe.
This will both keep my feet from getting melted once the insulation is out of the car, but also hopefully reduce exhaust heat radiated to the transmission.

I bought 50 feet of the wrap and that's all I got covered, that's enough. I was also interested in getting some exhaust-specific paint, but that required a bake/cure of the paint in an oven, and my oven simply isn't that big. The grill paint will have to do!

Sprayed with the grill paint:
t3bmzJW.jpg

Driver's tube wrapped:
3bBOOd7.jpg

Passenger and X-section wrapped (also bored dog):
WkcsICK.jpg

I think tomorrow I will try to get the car up on jackstands and remove the factory mid-pipe and side exhaust. Getting HOT out here in AZ! :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Had a rattle in the exhaust since I had the dealer replace the cat studs a number of weeks ago, figured it was a loose clamp or I bent up a heat shield when we were pulling the trans...NOPE. Passenger side rear O2 sensor very loosely "installed". I'm surprised it didn't throw a code.

I like the idea of wrapping the X pipe but do the whole thing! Nice work.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
I like the idea of wrapping the X pipe but do the whole thing! Nice work.

I envisioned doing the whole thing but I ran out of wrap, another roll is $45...screw it, close enough. That junction is well behind the trans at that point.

10,000lb ratchet straps arrived, these will help get the car to the track. I have some 36" quick-connect straps for the wheels as well on the way.
Mm0TjXB.jpg

Car positioned for work:
NU8E8jO.jpg

Side exhaust, mid-pipe, and one cat removed. Need a more sturdy extension and probably a 15mm impact socket to get the last nut off of the other cat. TONIGHT!
aD2txsf.jpg

I plan on tackling that last cat and installing a fresh set of ARP-studded front hubs tonight as well. If time permits I may hook up the new X-pipe and install the tune.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Are those the FRPP hubs?

Yep. Rehagen sells a kit with the hubs and includes the new OEM retainer nuts. The studs on the car now are FRPP studs pressed into the factory hubs.

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/2005-2013-MUSTANG-HUB-KIT-WITH-ARP-STUDS-fits-all-models-M-1104-A.htm

Recent price hike on these, however :( Should be a universal hike from what I understand.

ArizonaGT said:
Yep. Rehagen sells a kit with the hubs and includes the new OEM retainer nuts. The studs on the car now are FRPP studs pressed into the factory hubs.

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/2005-2013-MUSTANG-HUB-KIT-WITH-ARP-STUDS-fits-all-models-M-1104-A.htm

Recent price hike on these, however :( Should be a universal hike from what I understand.
Ok those are the same ones I just had installed. Figured 2 years of track duty was enough on them to wait for an actual failure.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel