The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
VTBoss302 said:
Agreed.

The standard Boss valve springs are only "guaranteed" to 7500 (with a few hundred rpm safety "net").

Anything beyond 7900 rpm and one may run into trouble...

VTBoss302

VTBoss302

Yeah. I just adjusted the redlines down to 7800 (same as 302S) for a little more "safety". That's only costing me 2-3mph in each gear vs. 8K, but still gaining me 3-4mph in each gear vs. 7500.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Started the interior gut last night. Nothing irreversible at this point, but it's coming out! I only had about 30 mins to work, but things went pretty quick with the power tools I have now. The last couple Mustangs I gutted took a while with only hand tools. I've got plans for the weekend but I think I will have everything out of the car by the end of next week.

7B7ZUKq.jpg

Does anyone know what this thing in the trunk on the passenger side is? (Aluminum support with black box)
86PH9np.jpg

RsK4Gg7.jpg

pfLjgTm.jpg

Next week I may even get around to getting out the torch and scraper to remove the sound deadening goop. That should be "fun".

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
BTW....60 bucks, that's pretty cheap insurance

http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/BOSS-302R-Valve-Spring-Kit-Ford-Racing.html

That's the same as what's in the car right now. I think I'll buy a set and freshen them sometime next year. Thanks for the link!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaGT said:
Does anyone know what this thing in the trunk on the passenger side is? (Aluminum support with black box)
1001187_10100360698848614_987262372_n.jpg

Just a guess, but the SN95s have the FPDM and fuel cutoff switch opposite of the fuel fill side. Only other thing I would guess is the sequential tail light electronics, but both are just guesses.

Are you going as far as removing the trunklid seal? That's one of the things I noticed was gone on the race cars, but would probably stay when I gut a car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
Just a guess, but the SN95s have the FPDM and fuel cutoff switch opposite of the fuel fill side. Only other thing I would guess is the sequential tail light electronics, but both are just guesses.

Are you going as far as removing the trunklid seal? That's one of the things I noticed was gone on the race cars, but would probably stay when I gut a car.

I will probably pull it and see how it affects the trunk closure (if at all). If the decklid doesn't rattle around with it out, I'll leave it out. I'm leaving the two big rubber stoppers on the bottom of the decklid.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ArizonaGT said:
I will probably pull it and see how it affects the trunk closure (if at all). If the decklid doesn't rattle around with it out, I'll leave it out. I'm leaving the two big rubber stoppers on the bottom of the decklid.

Pull it and see what the part # is on it. I'm not seeing it in any of the on-line parts diagrams... but it could be buried under 'bakery goods'.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
My plan for those two stoppers is to put PVC pipe over it, maybe 1/16" or 1/8" shorter to help stiffen them up and take loads from the planned wing.

Not quite sure if that will work, all the Tiger Wing installs I've seen use welded-in metal tubes to stiffen the decklid. The PVC might work in a static state, but I think it will fatigue and crack/fracture over time as it loads/unloads. That's my 0.02 anyways, with no real data behind it.

302S:
hW6dy6i.jpg

Grant 302

Yeah, if the PVC doesn't work, I'd tack on tubes for the same function and put a rubber edge on them. Definitely plan on similar bracing...more like what's shown on blue trunklid. Center of the wing load to right next to the stoppers.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant: I pulled the trunk surround foam and the decklid is not supported very well at all wtihout it. I put the surround back in.

Otherwise, I got to work getting pretty much everything out of the passenger side of the car:

mCQa43F.jpg

x5DHdFc.jpg

9iKxjNc.jpg

0JuyKoA.jpg

tUFDmX3.jpg

Race shop is going to zip out the extraneous metal in the center of the door while the car is in for cage...need clearance for NASCAR bars on both sides of the car!
aUzcYPy.jpg

Separating out the unnecessary wires (window power & control, speaker, etc. I kept the locks and sensors so the dash cluster isn't constantly flashing "DRIVER DOOR AJAR PASSENGER DOOR AJAR" while on-track like it does in my buddy's '06 where we just blindly cut the door wire bundles.
QirEaEh.jpg

Grant 302

ArizonaGT said:
Grant: I pulled the trunk surround foam and the decklid is not supported very well at all wtihout it. I put the surround back in.
Good to know. I'm impressed with your progress....depressed that I'm not doing the same yet! I need to find Boss 2.0 ::) 3.0 if you count my wife. :p

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I was traveling this weekend (had a great time at a BIG Mini Cooper meet up in Jerome, AZ) so no additional progress on the car.

I did, however put together a basic scheme of how the car's livery will look when finished, minus a number of FORD RACING, NASA, and ProAutosports decals.

0i6eop6.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Stoptech makes good stuff but if I'm going to upgrade it's going to be to a Brembo Pro Kit, mainly for the 1" thick pads. Anyways that is NOT on my budget anytime soon since the kit is about $4K.
I would do a Magnum XL trans upgrade before that.

The stock brakes work very well with proper cooling, fluid, backing plates, and race pads.

ArizonaGT said:
The stock brakes work very well with proper cooling, fluid, backing plates, and race pads.

With all those goodies they will certainly last longer...

The seals still tend to deteriorate rather quickly..

http://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Front-Caliper-Rebuild-Kit-for-S197-Mustang-with-Brembo-Caliper_p_6445.html

My extra 2 HP

:)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
VTBoss302 said:
With all those goodies they will certainly last longer...

The seals still tend to deteriorate rather quickly..

http://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Front-Caliper-Rebuild-Kit-for-S197-Mustang-with-Brembo-Caliper_p_6445.html

My extra 2 HP

:)

Good deal. Yeah these are definitely maintenance parts. My dust boots are only starting to show some very minor cracking; they have survived a long time thanks to those Titanium shims!

TMO Supporting Vendors