The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
X-Pipe installed. Grill paint made a bunch of embarrassing (but expected) smoke after the first WOT run on the highway:
z1sVEdA.jpg

Fresh FRPP hubs installed, hooray for air tools!:
00mAWeu.jpg

AED tune installed. Not much chance to test it in rush hour today. Runs great so far, very smooth. Car is REALLY loud now minus the cats. Very raspy but very racy with the X-Pipe.
CIo6zy8.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
On the dyno this morning in the 95ish degree heat. Getting a datalog for Shaun at AED on the road race tunes he sent me.
qsPo7re.jpg

Initial results are very good. My goal is not to make "MAXIMUM F***ING POWER" but to keep the engine safe for 30-60 minutes per session going balls-to-the-wall in AZ heat. Also making much more than this will start to impact my weight for the classes I want to run in. Red graph is my last dyno with the TracKey about a 18 months ago. Currently running a catless x-pipe, Roush mufflers, and stock airbox w/ K&N panel filter.
tGT5epT.jpg

Awesome. What is that hot when you baselined it 18 months ago? I guess not, that'd be "winter." Was prob only 89 that day. ::)

I'm curious to see the results of the update once you give Shaun the data. Try to dyno it on a comparably hot day, well 95 is prob cool huh?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah the previous dyno was done in relatively cool conditions, I'm guessing the car will put down even more power on the AED tune when the weather isn't hot as hell.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
FWIW it might be a good time for a set of valve springs and a set of AARP rod bolts.

Do you guys run valve springs other than the FRPP stuff in Grand-Am?

Not going to touch anything on the engine at this point :eek:

ArizonaGT said:

Not going to touch anything on the engine at this point :eek:

Whether they do or don't, I personally know of two Boss engines that have assploded because of the valve springs. Both were WC cars. This one was from just a couple of weeks ago. Ohai pieces of valves!

1006213_544411645619281_1210493363_n.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah I laughed at AARP. I'm going to leave the engine alone; we run 20-30 minute sprints typically and I don't need to wind it all the way out all the time. Maybe freshen the motor after 2014 assuming it survives that long.

ArizonaGT said:

My understanding was that it is not allowed...

Unless someone changed the rules (wouldn't be the first time)..

Keep up the good work, Raising Arizona!!! 8)

VTBoss302

VTBoss302 said:
My understanding was that it is not allowed...

Unless someone changed the rules (wouldn't be the first time)..

Keep up the good work, Raising Arizona!!! 8)

VTBoss302

It depends, there are "authorized mods" and then there's illegal mods, the short story is that there can be no performance enhancements, longevity is different, same with the brand "X" car we used to run, they allowed a bigger turbo, but it all has to be "authorized". The motors we run should be good for 50 hours before rebuild, think about that, it's about 10 race events. Valve springs are probably the weakest link, they are prone to heat damage as well as vibration, IMO the Grand Am stuff may actually last longer than you guys because we are restricted.

blacksheep-1 said:
Valve springs are probably the weakest link, they are prone to heat damage as well as vibration, IMO the Grand Am stuff may actually last longer than you guys because we are restricted.

Agreed.

The standard Boss valve springs are only "guaranteed" to 7500 (with a few hundred rpm safety "net").

Anything beyond 7900 rpm and one may run into trouble...

VTBoss302

VTBoss302

blacksheep-1 said:
It depends, there are "authorized mods" and then there's illegal mods, the short story is that there can be no performance enhancements, longevity is different, same with the brand "X" car we used to run, they allowed a bigger turbo, but it all has to be "authorized". The motors we run should be good for 50 hours before rebuild, think about that, it's about 10 race events. Valve springs are probably the weakest link, they are prone to heat damage as well as vibration, IMO the Grand Am stuff may actually last longer than you guys because we are restricted.

Here's the allowed modifications from the Grand Sport (GS) and Street Tuner (ST) Specific Car Regulations 2013

Ford Mustang Boss 302R GT GS

As submitted by Ford and built by Multimatic Motorsports Inc. for Ford Racing. Detailed description of this requirement is available from GRAND-AM.

Final Drive: 3:73:1

Fuel capacity: 18.5 gal.

Weight: 3315

Tire size: 275/35/18

Maximum RPM 7500

Must use 55mm air inlet restrictor as supplied.

Must use OEM ECU as supplied by Ford Racing.

Must use unmodified exhaust manifold as supplied with engine. Permitted band clamp attachment.

Maximum camber allowance is a total of .3 degrees (Left and right combined). The maximum delta between left and right side camber is .1 degrees.

Engine must be sealed as provided by Roush Yates Racing Engines, Contact John Maddox Ph # 704-658-1540 Ext 2064

- Engines may be built by any engine builder.
- Engine must be submitted to Roush Yates for physical inspection and power audit.
- Engine physical inspection will include a visual inspection of the crank, rods and pistons.
- Physical inspection will include an evaluation of cylinder head ports (intake and exhaust.)
- Physical inspection will include an evaluation of camshaft events.
- Physical inspection will include an evaluation of intake manifold and throttle bodies.
- Power audit includes running engine on dynamometer to establish compliance to Grand-Am accepted power levels.
- Audit will include spark and fuel slew to confirm max power level.
- If engine is found compliant in both physical inspection and power audit documentation of engine number and seal number will be recorded on-site and provided to Grand-Am.
- Engine will be sealed and returned to customer.

Approved Modifications

Fuel Cell required mounting behind rear axle. Mounting to be with short axis of fuel cell can along length of car and long axis along height of car.

Permitted replacement components
1. One piece drive shaft, part number M-XXXX-X, fordmotorsport.com
2. Permitted mono-ball in front upper third link mount. Available through Multimatic Motorsports, Inc.
3. Front rotor 355 mm.
4. Front caliper upgrade per rules.
5. Permitted ABS part number 7FRT-2C353-AA Multimatic Motorsports, Inc. Phone 905-470-0025.
6. Rear wing 605-SW100 with pedestal modification and mounting shims by Multimatic. (Mounting to be at same angle of attack as 2005 Mustang) supplied by Multimatic, phone 905.470.0025
7. Permitted Boss front grill as produced for road car.
8. Permitted alternate connecting rod. (Manley Part # 14318)
9. Permitted 2013 Boss 302 front fascia part# DR33-16C928-AAW, hood part# XXXXXXX and rear taillight panel part# DR33-13B504-AC, DR33-13B505-AC and associated components and hardware.
10. Permitted 2013 Boss 302 lower front “spoiler” or “splitter” 17626A
11. Permitted 2013 GT500 brake package, (Front calipers P/N XB10511LH, P/N XB 10512RH; disc 09852874LH, 09852874LH, 09852878RH; rear rotor DR3Z-2C026). Teams that opt to use this package are not permitted dimensional tolerances or front caliper upgrade. Must be used in combination with Bosch ABS controller, Minimum weight 3360.

http://www.grand-am.com/Portals/0/Images/PDF/GS%20and%20ST%20SpecificCarRegulations2012_12_18.pdf

That's it folks!

TMO Supporting Vendors