The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Arazona:

I always enjoy your enjoy your race vids, but this one in particular. I was out in Palmdale CA, back in the 90's promoting a little Rally Race known as "Rim of the World" (those guys had Krypton Kahonas), but I got a chance to run this track in a Rear Drive Supra.

The back sweeper was, well let me put it this way, memorable! I liked the track, and took my 71 914/6 2l there and had a better time. It is a fast track, but when I was there the pavement was in rough shape.

I see the water tower has grown to 3 and are still on the hill!

Thanks for posting and wish you well with your 2015 season.
Dave
302 Hi Pro

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Dave: Thanks for the compliments and glad I could help you relive some of this stuff.

Willow is definitely a track that requires some serious stones to go truly fast. The practice day had me a little bit in-shock but by the end of the weekend I was able to take 8 without braking. Maybe next time I'll try it without lifting at all. But there are a number of other improvements I'll have to try with my driving there to pick up time. I have a pretty good idea of where to chip away, though.

Great photos and those new wheels/tires fill the wheel wells nicely.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Race reports from this weekend; a total 180* from last weekend at Willow.

In Saturday's race I qualified second in-class (fourth overall out of 17 or so) and got a good jump at the start to take the WIN in-class and third overall!
Sunday I played around with the pressures on my tires and was able to set a new personal best at this track by just over a second, which was during qualifying and was good enough to take the overall race pole.
During the race I had a great start and established a commanding lead, but a combination of overdriving the tires and lots of lap traffic put me down into 2nd place overall (first in class) with about 5 laps remaining. Then I RAN OUT OF FUEL on the white flag lap and managed to limp it across the line for 5th overall, second in class). OOPS.

I also ran Time Trials this weekend, I set a new track record for TT2 by about 1.5 seconds.
The TT results plus my win on Saturday were good for 4 free tires from Hoosier, thanks to their contingency program (plus finally having 5+ cars in-class here in AZ to activate it).

New engine still running strong, not burning any oil or anything weird, and the results of my "complimentary dyno pulls" after Sunday's race were dead-nuts on what it did at the local dyno earlier this year. Looks like I might be puking tranny fluid out of the vent tube, though. Gonna have to look at that.

All in all, a great weekend! Videos to come later.

lZIAwPc.png

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Berol said:
Were you on the MCS dampers for this weekend?

Negative, they are still being built. I hope to go even faster once those go in :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
My wife got me some presents for my birthday...some of you guys have already seen this but I figure I'd share anyways.

New underwear for when I go into a turn too hot, USB storage to get it on video, and decals for the rear bumper--anyone want to take a guess?

AIrsLQZ.png

Also here are the videos from this weekend.

1) Saturday's race. Started 4th overall, 2nd in class, finished 3rd overall 1st in class.

2) Sunday's race. Started 1st overall, 1st in class, finished 5th overall, 2nd in class. WHOOPS.

Just got shipment confirmation from Hoosier on my freebie set of 315 R7sturbobowdown.gif

Last edited:

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Happy B-Day Drew! Those R7's hooked you up!!

As for the sticker I have no clue, Harry Potter related? You kids and your crazy characters :)

See you in the morning, I'm assuming no alcohol is required at 9 am :eek:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Tucson302 said:
See you in the morning, I'm assuming no alcohol is required at 9 am :eek:

Thanks Derek!

Depends what kind of day you want it to be? I'll probably have a beer open by 11...

A Sorcerer that keeps all competitors entering your space ;D.
Or thats the logo of the dry cleaners that do your shorts after going into that turn to HOT...Lol

TMO Supporting Vendors