The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Actually Shaun strongly advised me to put it back on the car. I asked him to just turn off the CELs for this stuff but that may be an uphill battle. So I'll probably be clearing (or at least checking) CELs daily if that's the case.
So far it's thrown up a P0443, P0446, and P0453. All seem non-invasive and non-critical.

Considering I've replicated what's done on the 302S, I don't anticipate having any sort of issue, especially after a number of hours attempting to learn how and what the EVAP does.

I'll post up how to make this mod once I'm sure there's no ill side-effects.

The total weight of stuff removed is 8lbs from the rear, plus probably another 1-1.5 lbs from the lines in the front. I didn't remove the metal hard-line that runs under the car (but I did cut it to length in the rear).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Car is set to go get a fresh corner balance tomorrow. Going to raise the front a hair while it's there as well.

vz7adjb.jpg

iAWjDdM.jpg

Next event INDE Motorsports Ranch next weekend!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
^^^Thanks! Not really doing anything special, just sharing my experiences.

Dropping her off for corner balance:
S6XRAl0.jpg

All done...
SE1mA1e.jpg

Race weight with 4.5 gallons of fuel, cool shirt box filled to the brim with water, and 165# driver ballast (3457lbs):
Kgjsk5w.jpg

Race weight same as before, but no cool shirt box (3430lbs):
j0SY5D6.jpg

I will of course be carrying more fuel than this, but this ensures I'll be compliant to my minimum weight (3401#) at the end of a race--plus as the fuel is consumed over the course of the race, the car will get closer to its optimal balance settings--so the car should get better (this will help to combat tire degradation).

So basically my quest to knock 100lbs off of the car (started 3550# last year) is complete, and there are still a couple other "low-hanging fruit" areas I can attack to knock off a couple more pounds without spending any money.
Next thing that will make a big dent (but costs money) is Lexan front and rear "glass"; this would be about $1200 delivered from Optic Armor. Maybe next season.

Hitting INDE Motorsports Ranch outside of Tucson, AZ for shakedown w/ the new setup next weekend prior to NASA Nationals!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Ordered one of these from Amazon since my body-side UCA bushing is toast. Will run with the beat-up stock stuff this weekend and install this at the stock length before Laguna.

61Zc1AGa%2BcL._SL1500_.jpg

Was $157 w/ Amazon Prime when I ordered last night, price went up to 170 on the website this morning? wut?

I was going to recommend the BMR unit just because it has a big spherical bearing, but it's twice as much as the Hotchkis one you ordered. can't go wrong at that price, especially if it holds up.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah, I couldn't really find any reviews on this thing, so I guess I'm pioneering it for this purpose.

Price was definitely a factor.

If I have a problem with this one, I'll probably succumb and get the BMR one. The Multimatic is just too damned expensive.

I have a poly bushing already on the diff side (probably one of the reasons the UCA rubber bushing is destroyed). Depending on condition of that, I may go to the Steeda spherical in the future.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Arizona:

Thanks for the updated pics, she is looking good and ready to race. Hope all goes well with the setup and sorting of your new suspension and that you have a winning season in 2015.

All the Best,

Dave
2HP

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
further said:
Fingers crossed that you don't end up with the steering "shudder". O/W you'll need the 302s rack, without the steering nannies. It's supposed to be worse with small slicks.

@further no issues with the new bushings and stock Boss rack this weekend on-track (and occasionally off-track). This is with Hoosier 315 R7s. Mod away!

I'll do a full download in here once I get some videos rendered. Overall a very good weekend and I have some more adjustments to test before Laguna Seca in July.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Being pursued by a buddy in an ex-Turner Motorsports Grand Am BMW M3, with even more gear now.

Trying to chase down the first place guy in my class and hold this guy off at the same time. Lots of work but great racing.

Last edited:

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
AZ: Nice vid. You must be happy with your engine rebuild as she looks to be putting out some nice power, you were walking away from the Bimmer on the straights. However that Bimmer had a nice suspension and brake set up as he was going in deep in the turns to tighten it up between you.

The action at the 8:00 to 8:45 minute mark was exciting!

Good luck at Laguna.

Dave
302 Hi Pro

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Here's a video from my car; same situation different race on the same day:

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
OK, weekend report:

This was the first outing with the combined 315mm Hoosier setup as well as the MCS double-adjustable suspension.
We were at INDE Motorsports Ranch in Willcox, AZ.

My goals for the weekend were to shake down the car for competition at NASA Nationals in July, and of course to beat the heck out of my competition.
The first day went well, with times dropping nearly 4 seconds versus my previous best on the scrub P-Zero/Roush suspension setup.

My friends watching the first couple sessions from a distance noted that the car was bouncing around quite a bit so I bumped up the damping levels all around to compensate; that really made the car more responsive to inputs and buttoned the car down more. Big improvement.

My times on Sunday on a slightly different configuration were only half a second faster than my previous best with the old suspension and big Hoosiers, but rising temperatures made everybody's times rise over the course of the day. I think I would have cut some even better times if the track temperatures had stayed down. My best time of the day was during the early morning practice session, on my older set of tires.

In the races I qualified either on the first or second row out of 24 cars each time, 5 in class, but finished second in each race to my competitor in an LS3-powered, widebody Datsun 260Z. My car was out-powered and overweight vs. this Datsun. My car is about 8.3 lb/hp, his is 6.8. I was able to really stomp this guy at a track closer to home in January but the long straight and tight turns of INDE really allowed his setup to shine.

Fortunately for me, Laguna is a much faster track overall and also much smoother--and the people I will be actually racing will be limited to an 8.0 power to weight ratio.

Before I felt I had really reached the limit of my driving technique with the Roush/KW suspension; with the new MCS stuff I think I am no longer driving at the limit of what the car is able to provide. This is a good problem to have, but it means I have more learning to do on both my setup and my driving style.

I plan to run one more test day (4 sessions in a half-day) next month to do a swaybar sweep and try out a couple more planned damping changes to see how the car reacts. Also I hope to get the Hotchkis UCA installed (at the stock length) before then. No issues with driveshaft vibration with the Dynotech shaft in two outings so far. :)

Not sure if anyone got any pictures from the weekend so I hope you enjoyed the videos above!

Tulsa, OK
ArizonaBOSS said:
Here's a video from my car; same situation different race on the same day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms3k6TK8BMo

Great driving 8) You are seriously haulin.... glad to hear the new MCS setup is working on the car, and inspiring driving at higher limits. One day my car wants to grow up to be like yours lol

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel