The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Last night I got the oil cooler hoses re-routed slightly where I like them and no rubbing, just waiting on remote oil pressure sender kit to arrive tonight and I can fill it up with oil and coolant.

Also last night I pumped in a fresh batch of MTL to the trans and Lucas diff oil for the rearend.

I am waiting on a couple of radiator shrouds from Tousley...once those are here I can get everything in-place and replace the air intake and fire her up!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The oiling system re-routing is complete. Installed the remote line for the oil pressure sender last night; had to fabricobble up a mount for it as well.

Square aluminum tube and rivnuts to the rescue (again)!
Rc4S2px.jpg
h6NZ43D.jpg

Ran the remote line through a couple holes in the front "shotgun":
DFfuikr.jpg

Only attached to the chassis by one bolt, but it's butted up against the rear headlight reinforcement brace, so it's not going anywhere. This spot is protected by the fender liner, once installed:
IUgUaaS.jpg

The original wiring still reaches, with a slight bit of slack. No strain on the wires (despite photo):
ss5uAQT.jpg

Filter and senders:
iILticZ.jpg

I need to fab up a new block-off plate for the driver's side radiator shield, then I can put the air intake back together and get this thing fired up!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Are you worried about the Oil line getting chaffed on the chassis holes without groments?
The thought had crossed my mind, but those holes are actually pretty well radiused (no sharp edges). Braided line should hold up well, but vibration may be a long-term concern. I do have a set of grommets that I can play with later and I may end up doing that anyways.

Where do you get your rivet nuts?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y65H8VF/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whatever became of duct tape and zip ties? Nice fab work!
Those are for emergencies only :)

Speaking of fabricobbling, my home-made radiator shroud no longer fit on the driver's side with the new radiator (the passenger one fit, for some reason). However now with the oil lines coming from the side, I had to make the shroud a two-piece design (my part + OEM part) to go around the lines.

Inner piece that attaches to radiator using the mounting points for the OEM AC condenser:
PXX9qXK.jpg

nDg6BdL.jpg

Installed:
hEjIb36.jpg

tVz9Tfp.jpg

Plus modified factory shroud/snorkel:
8VO1J0k.jpg

I did also manage to get the intake installed as well; I was holding off on this so I could connect the snorkel/shroud assembly, but unfortunately the middle piece of the snorkel doesn't clear the larger radiator--so the "bottom feed" snorkel for the CAI has a 6" gap from the front shroud snorkel to the bottom feed opening. Oh well.

Jv9gP8h.jpg

Filling oil and water and firing up tonight!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Just kidding regarding firing it up tonight. Detected a leak (during vacuuming, so no mess or waste) in the cooling system at the T-joint by the upper radiator hose and thermostat. Parts on-order now...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I applied the clearbra on the hood yesterday, no issues. I tried doing this the last time I had the hood painted and it was a total disaster. Got one on correctly now, however! No pics for obvious reasons.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I run 5W-50, typically Castrol Edge or Motorcraft. I change it after every 3 events (weekends) typically.

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Got most of the remaining decals on the car now. Have a few fresh (and larger) TMO banner decals coming from @PeteInCT and a couple other odds and ends but aesthetically the car is basically done (save for a good wash). I suppose I do need to re-install the front fascia and replace the rear lower valence still.

kqurJS2.jpg

Found a slight oil drip at the sandwich plate, looks like the primary (filter-to-plate, or plate-to-block) o-rings have exceeded their lifetime. Got a fresh set coming from Summit ($6.00! :) ) that I'll install before I attempt to fire the car up. I hope I can take the plate off with the car full of oil... :)

Also last night I drilled and fit up the @AJ Hartman large endplates. These are definitely lighter than the aluminum ones they are replacing, and fit up better to the irregularities of the wing stub I had to repair than the aluminum ones as well. Tough to see them in this pic but I think these will work out well.

DCZZ9RF.jpg

How do you like the Vorshlag brakes lines?

What about the Blowfish master cylinder brace?

I read through this entire thread on sunday while my wife watched some lame movie. Thank you for documenting everything, and making a good build thread.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
QyNVAr3.jpg

9XCgcsi.jpg

3dkLK1z.jpg

T8qHjc7.jpg

1ILoKpV.jpg

Got the striping on the driver's side done as well:
Civfikd.jpg
@superhero

Your running white stripes now?? I like it. Post some side shots when you can....Thanks

How do you like the Vorshlag brakes lines?

What about the Blowfish master cylinder brace?

I read through this entire thread on sunday while my wife watched some lame movie. Thank you for documenting everything, and making a good build thread.

Vorshlag SS lines great mod and direct fit as long as you still have factory calipers. I have a set of StopTech lines that I modified on the front now to mate to the Brembo Pro calipers. Blowfish brace...not sure that I can tell a difference, TBH. But it's good peace of mind.

TMO Supporting Vendors