The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Smokey and The Bandit

No Trans-Ams in this part of the story, but our Championship Sunday was thrown into disarray when a car went off in the practice session and lit the dry grass inside the track on-fire with its exhaust. Combined with the 25-40mph winds (!), this burned down probably 30% of the infield and sent massive smoke plumes into the sky. Activities were halted while track and local firefighters worked to put out the brush fire. We even got overflown by a water-dump plane, but he didn't end up making a quenching run.

More on that incident here: https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/championship-races-paused-to-save-thunderhill-raceway-f-1819329885

VsfrjZk.jpg

CLDUlyx.jpg
The main impact to this fire was that it threw our schedule into disarray. The average of my finishing position points from the two qualifying races meant I was starting second again, but nobody knew WHEN we were going to race now. I decided to get everything ready during the firefighting activities, and to be ready for whatever. My action then meant I could relax until we actually ended up taking the green at 3:35pm instead of 1:40pm. My competitor's EVO was repaired overnight and he was starting directly behind me, making us a pack of 4 again. This time I talked to the polesitter and asked if we could start with a larger gap this time to avoid the cluster---- that we encountered the prior day; surprisingly, he agreed.

I had a set of sticker Hoosier A7s sitting in the trailer and had those mounted up, pressured, and kept in cool shade. The high winds meant we would be racing in a comfortable 80*F environment :)

I was also delighted to see that my fellow AZ racers made me a replacement endplate solution for the race :)

Pbg6S57.jpg

Championship Race Start
I led the race briefly (for a few turns) until the M3 on his home track made a move; and then I went down to third after brain-fart short-shifting to 5th on the back straight. Fortunately, I was able to get that back a few turns later by using slower traffic as a pick!

The view didn't change much after those first few laps--I managed to bring the car home in second place in-class, my first podium at a National-Level event! At prior events I had finished 4th both times, so it felt good to get that podium!

xtwR14n.jpg

qc7wGdb.jpg
Moreover, the high-flow grille helped quite a bit even with the cooler temperatures. Absolutely beating on the car the CHTs only got up to 221, and the oil temp max was 260 (Edit--might have only gotten around 240! Gotta check the data). Even in 100* weather this thing should be rock-solid now.

I set my fastest laps of the weekend about 10 laps into the championship race, on A7s

Next Steps

My next race is coming up in a couple weeks at Arizona Motorsports Park. I have the opportunity to set some track records while I am there. We will see what happens. The car doesn't really need any work other than repairing the wing stub properly--so it won't be a mad dash to prepare this time :)

Also, the regional points awarded for my 2nd-place finish at Thunderhill are enough to lock-in my 2017 AZ Regional Championship in ST2, with two events still left on the AZ calendar!

And, as good as things are, I have a few things in the works right now that are going to make the car an absolute track terror in 2018, with the intention of winning the NASA National ST2 Championship. The track hasn't been confirmed (and I won't goad the rumor mill), but it's very likely going to be at a place where there won't be a home-track advantage--meaning I can race other drivers straight up. I'll update everyone on my plans as they become cemented throughout the remainder of the year.

Until Next Time...

uxBPCuv.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
How exciting! Car looks good on the track.
I'd love to know where your rear roll center is.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sorry, I guess I never did get that measurement for you! I'll shoot you a PM before she goes back up on jackstands.

I am hoping to find some better rolling shots once Head-On Photos' website gets back together...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So how well do the A7’s hold up at that track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice write-up and congratulations on the second place finish and winning your regional championship!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
So how well do the A7’s hold up at that track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It depends. A sticker set can last 45 straight minutes if it’s not too hot out and you have the right pressures, and don’t abuse them too much. Mine look pretty good after that race. I’m sure I can get another 4-5 cycles out of them but the first 2-3 are the best.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It depends. A sticker set can last 45 straight minutes if it’s not too hot out and you have the right pressures, and don’t abuse them too much. Mine look pretty good after that race. I’m sure I can get another 4-5 cycles out of them but the first 2-3 are the best.
not a very good track day tire, huh?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Absolutely agree, @AJ Hartman ! Everything I have received from you has been excellent quality. The issue encountered here was a result of my own (poor) efforts to repair prior damage to another vendor’s product. Didn’t mean to confuse anyone here!

And for those following along, AJ even got in-touch with me at the track to see if there was anything he could do to help in order to ensure I was ready for my race! A+ !!

Original post updated to avoid any confusion.

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Stop all this championship nonsense! There's up and coming drivers to compete (lol, jk)

so besides the APR self-jettison feature, how did you like the end plates?

Seemed OK and never had an issue with the car stepping out at high-speed. I set the wing up basically "flat", too.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel