The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
OK got the APR wing stub repaired. Should have taken some more photos but whatever.
I dremeled out the remaining epoxy from the riv-nut installation and created a pocket within the wing stub for an axial load to be distributed.
Then I took a couple long M6 bolts, and attached a thread-on flange and a nylock nut to 1) anchor the stud and create more surface area for the endplate to pull on and 2) resist rotation of the stud when attaching a nut to secure the end plate.
I embedded these in fresh epoxy and let it sit overnight to cure. Result: studs.

9ApvYf7.jpg

WHqEY3l.jpg

KwM5baj.jpg

Endplate only sustained minor damage despite flying off the car on-track due to weak initial mounting repair...should be quite solid now.

6ejkeaS.jpg

Car is basically ready to run at the end of the month, now :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Good work. That should hold nicely.
Fingers crossed :)

And before anyone asks I did clean up that epoxy with some sandpaper so it doesn't look as janky as it does in those photos.

Last edited:
Looks better than the paper plate.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Excellent write up of the race, the story was a great read and the results not to shabby either. Can't get enough of your drive to the championship!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Was waiting for Head-On Photos to deliver my photo order from Thunderhill...in the meantime here are the proofs:

http://headonphotos.net/gallery/NASA/NASANATS17/Group C/41/index.html

May I ask a question... What are the purpose of the end plates. I understand the function of the main wing. To apply downward pressure as air flows over it. But the side plates has me wondering. Are the side plates like stabilizer to keep the rear end from a side to side movement? But for that to happen wouldn't they need to have some sort of an angle to them. The only thing that I can compare them to is an airplanes wing end plates. But on the airplane the end plates are on some sort of an angle, which makes sense and I understand that. But on the car there mounted straight up and down.

Thank you

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
End plates are mainly there to prevent turbulent flow separation on the end of the wing which reduces drag and maintains wing effectiveness. They also act as barriers to prevent disturbed air coming onto the wing and also disrupting smooth flow. Our simple wing designs don't really function as side force generators like more advanced cars (F1, WEC etc) but may help a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@superhero , @steveespo said it pretty well. At the end of the day, for an "inverted" airfoil like on a race car, the downforce is generated primarily by flow UNDER the wing. The endplates help to control that flow so (compared to baseline) you can get equivalent downforce at lower drag, or higher downforce at the same drag.
I have also heard some pros describe them as "rudders" that help steer the car; just that our fluid is air, not water :)

@AJ Hartman wrote a good blog post about this stuff here, but I think he will be too busy whooping up on the AI field at NASA Eastern States Championships at Sebring this weekend to respond in the next few days :)

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
May I ask a question... What are the purpose of the end plates. I understand the function of the main wing. To apply downward pressure as air flows over it. But the side plates has me wondering. Are the side plates like stabilizer to keep the rear end from a side to side movement? But for that to happen wouldn't they need to have some sort of an angle to them. The only thing that I can compare them to is an airplanes wing end plates. But on the airplane the end plates are on some sort of an angle, which makes sense and I understand that. But on the car there mounted straight up and down.

Thank you

In lay terms, the main function is to keep the high pressure from the upper side from spilling into the low pressure underside. It's preventing the mixing of flow that normally create large wingtip vortices.

When compared to a wing without endplates, it effectively acts like a longer wing. And in racing, that's usually what's regulated.

@AJ Hartman wrote a good blog post about this stuff here

Cool stuff. Especially that little notch.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Airflow around any moving object is a matter of high and low pressure zones which results in turbulence. Is the same reason we have wind on our planet, high versus low pressure zones and air trying to fill the gaps from high to low pressure. The whole point of aero is to manipulate the high and low pressure zones, hence turbulence and drag, to the best of your advantage. Oversimplified, but that’s from my fluid dynamics and physics classes in college. I used to love all the simulations we did with colored dye in clear liquids.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What my main concern is actually how to add more front downforce. We should make a aero thread. After the vented hood and splitter, I am sure we can get more. My car is perfect except pushes at 100 MPH + corners slightly.

A capitol idea....maybe @AJ Hartman would like to be part of this?

TMO Supporting Vendors