The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Got the upper radiator support "freed" after drilling all the spot welds, but it looks like I'll have to remove the radiator and my oil cooler in order to sneak the section out.

Got a brand-new OEM section to replace it, hoping to get it welded in-place this weekend.

Nrts1cK.jpg

Funs5mj.jpg

2RYVpKM.jpg

And some wall art. I am thinking to get a COTA Logo decal for the blank space on the hood...

8hVeQsv.jpg

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes mine were around that as well, The only other thing is that they took 3 months to receive.
Oh, wonderful. We were thinking 6 weeks after PO but even that is longer than I'd like. I guess we'll see what happens.

Regarding the nut-plate--does it disengage from the door once you take the door bolts out? Or do I need to drill some spot welds to remove them from the doors? I did take a peek at them last night.

Oh, wonderful. We were thinking 6 weeks after PO but even that is longer than I'd like. I guess we'll see what happens.

Regarding the nut-plate--does it disengage from the door once you take the door bolts out? Or do I need to drill some spot welds to remove them from the doors? I did take a peek at them last night.

I forgot exactly but I do remember pretty much trashing the doors to get them out, But idk if it was to make it easier since the doors were already unusable or it was the process.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Very nice looking race car.

AialKQ2.jpg [/QUOTE]

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Swiss Boss: Yes, going 2013 front. Some aero and cooling advantages to that vs. the 10-12 front. Not sure if they will be significant but it's time for a change.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The unpainted bumper on your last picture.

Just curious if there’s any performance advantage to it.

Personally I prefer the 12 front end over the 13
I like the 12 nose as well but I'll bet it's a whole lot easier to get the 13/14 body parts.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
@Swiss Boss: Yes, going 2013 front. Some aero and cooling advantages to that vs. the 10-12 front. Not sure if they will be significant but it's time for a change.
Off topic here but, are you competing against any 15 & later mustangs?
Just wondering if our stick axle cars have become totally obsolete....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Not really out here. We have one guy that has a 2015 GT-turned-GT-350 race car but he's not been able to get it sorted to where he's comfortable to really push it.
I would think with CorteX's cambered rear axle, in a limited power-to-weight class like we run, it's probably close with equal drivers.
And much to our dismay since the release of the S550, that chassis is a bit heavier overall as well.
Even at NASA Nationals at COTA there were two, maybe three guys with S550s at the entire event.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Not really out here. We have one guy that has a 2015 GT-turned-GT-350 race car but he's not been able to get it sorted to where he's comfortable to really push it.
I would think with CorteX's cambered rear axle, in a limited power-to-weight class like we run, it's probably close with equal drivers.
And much to our dismay since the release of the S550, that chassis is a bit heavier overall as well.
Even at NASA Nationals at COTA there were two, maybe three guys with S550s at the entire event.
So, it ain't over yet.....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
No vented fender plan at this time but the idea has crossed my mind. Doing something with a stock metal fender like PAE have done on their GT350 would be pretty neat.
The pre-vented carbon and fiberglass ones are available, but you can't roll and pull the fender lip for more tire clearance like you can with a metal fender.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
OK! This weekend we got through one major hurdle--replacing the buckled upper radiator support!

I drilled out the spot-welds on the factory section, and had a new section ordered from Ford. A couple of my local buddies who happen to also be racecar fabricators and welders came over to make sure I didn't screw this up by trying to do the welding myself. I need a lot of practice before I try welding on something "serious" like this. They don't usually make house calls so we were limited to a 120V MIG, but it got the job done.

I also got some M10x1.5 spools and had them weld them into the core support, which will provide a sturdy base for my 4 upcoming AeroCatch pins.

44474644_10102213543093894_884497383025541120_n.jpg

Also they were kind enough to weld in the Watson jacking plates that I've had gathering dust for a couple years now.

44650981_10102213895213244_1287200130948136960_n.jpg

After that was done, I sprayed all the welded areas with black paint and got to work installing two fresh headlights (coated with yellow Lamin-X).

TU3SiTc.jpg

Yesterday I was able to install the 2013 bumper cover supports and also rivet in the hood latch block-off plate to the upper tray (not pictured).
Things are moving along, my main limiter at this point is the arrival of the new hood and carbon doors. I anticipate probably a weekend's worth of work cutting and fitting stuff once those are in-house, then it's off to get wrapped.

I am trying to be ready for a re-debut at our local Thanksgiving event but at this point I'm not sure if it's going to happen in time.

Tick tock...

Look great! Go to a junkyard and get a Slightly dented up hood for the time being!

And Wrapped you say :eek: Better be going Blue :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel