The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Super nice comment and so correct, this is a true inspiration to many! I do have to add , though, that Tyme you are going fast enough now you are no longer a Pace Car Driver , you are now , officially a Race Car Driver!!! You proved that to all of us when you were in Hastings at the 2018 Mustang Roundup. Of course you ticked off a lot of guys who you promised you would be dead last when on the track and they figured out you must be the Blue Boss Bluffer?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Super nice comment and so correct, this is a true inspiration to many! I do have to add , though, that Tyme you are going fast enough now you are no longer a Pace Car Driver , you are now , officially a Race Car Driver!!! You proved that to all of us when you were in Hastings at the 2018 Mustang Roundup. Of course you ticked off a lot of guys who you promised you would be dead last when on the track and they figured out you must be the Blue Boss Bluffer?
Always nice to under promise and over deliver.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Race Report: NASA AZ / NASA SoCal @ Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, February 2019
Well, it has been some time since I have driven this car in anger. Since returning from COTA in September of 2018, the car has largely sat on jackstands in my garage while I did disassembly and reassembly of all of the front end body components, including a full 2013 front-end conversion. Also during that time the car got a wrap and looks like a brand new car now!

upload_2019-2-28_10-50-57.png

I wasn't able to get the car ready in-time for our season opener in January, and other commitments at King of the Hammers kept me busy right up until the last second to get the Mustang in-order for a debut at California's Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. After our arrival on Friday night, our group of 10ish people paddocked together had a nice pot-luck including chicken wings on the grill, chili, corn bread, and chips and salsa. These impromptu BBQs are some of the best parts of the "away" events we have in other regions.

Despite my absence over the past few months, I was able to get back into the saddle pretty quickly, and fortunately the car didn't disappoint.
During Saturday's qualifying session I was able to set a new personal best by almost 2.5 seconds on Chuckwalla's clockwise configuration, putting me third overall on the big bore race grid behind a Super Unlimited TA2 Camaro and Super Unlimited Porsche Cup car. The only other guy in my class (ST2) was at the very back of the grid after posting a qualifying time about 5 seconds slower than me, so I could afford to cruise for most of the race. That driver ended up retiring about halfway through the race, handing me an easy in-class victory for my first race of the year, and my in-race lap time set a new track record in my class.

ST2 pace is roughly 4-5 seconds faster than AI here at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway
upload_2019-2-28_10-52-18.png

Exiting "The Bowl", a 10-degree banked section of CVR
upload_2019-2-28_10-54-48.png

For Sunday, the situation was largely similar, except we reversed track direction to run counter-clockwise. I had another good qualifying session, setting a new personal best by about 1 second, and putting the car P1 overall for the day's race. I tried to get away with running an old set of R7s for the race but it turned out that was not a good strategy. A car that we upclassed from ST3 into ST2 ended up getting by me early in the race and I didn't have enough tire to challenge back. Him and I ended up running away from the rest of the race field and finishing 1-2 overall, with the next cars in race group over 20 seconds behind us at the end of the race. It wasn't a win but it was a good time and an uneventful start to 2019 for me.

upload_2019-2-28_11-2-12.png

upload_2019-2-28_11-1-20.png

And despite setting new PBs in both directions, I can already see where I can go faster after analyzing my videos. That will have to wait until next year or possibly an American Muscle Cup TT event later this year. Next event: NASA AZ at Bondurant's school course at the end of March!

Stay tuned for more...

upload_2019-2-28_11-0-53.png

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Qualifying lap and PB from Saturday (Clockwise):

Qualifying lap and PB from Sunday (Counter-Clockwise):

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Nice chronology. I had wondered about the history of the car so that was cool.

Got any in car vids of you up here at Norcal tracks?

giphy.gif

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Fox34

Thunderhill 2017; MCS setup, stock rear axle.

Thunderhill 2017 Champ Race Start:

Thunderhill West 2016:

Laguna Seca 2015:

Sonoma 2016...couldn't pass sound:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Fox34 We are heading to Buttonwillow next weekend (SoCal, I know)...

55540699_10102348688541334_6733191067111260160_o.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Drew when are you going flares and 335s or 335/345s?

There’s no difference in points towards ST2 class, right?
Correct, no points difference. This thing barely fits in the trailer with the 315s the way I have it set up, not to mention the additional cost burden of a wider tire. But an even wider tire definitely wouldn't hurt.
I think (hope?) I am done with body mods for a bit.

Hopefully no more involuntary body mods. I get your point on the incremental price hike. It's actually a notable difference between 315s and 335s. Didn't think it would be that much more (~$50 more per tire for A7/R7).

Is there a big point or performance disadvantage running $100/150 Pirelli/Michelin scrubs?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Hopefully no more involuntary body mods. I get your point on the incremental price hike. It's actually a notable difference between 315s and 335s. Didn't think it would be that much more (~$50 more per tire for A7/R7).

Is there a big point or performance disadvantage running $100/150 Pirelli/Michelin scrubs?

Yes, two fold: You have to take a -.5 points modifier (meaning 8.01:1 ST2 min becomes 7.51:1 for power:weight which moves to ST1, so you have to ballast back up), and typically the best cycles of those tires are gone when you get them compared to fresh R7/A7 rubber. There's a couple local guys who have run them and its always nice to know they won't be able to keep up. I have done the same when in a money pinch, but its not a competitive practice. Sometimes the winner is the guy with the freshest tire.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel