The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Wow! Looks great, what a difference.
That trailer must have had good bones though, it sure doesn't look like a home built, guy that built it must have known something about what he was doing.
Yes, it's well built, just needs some TLC in and out. It is my "hotel" at away events, so I wanted to improve my living conditions at the track :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This gives me ideas on how to spend my retirement...

If you're going to be doing it full-time, consider getting a trailer that has a living quarters and/or shower and toilet.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
So, how are you tying down the car?
I didn't see any D rings in the new floor....or did I miss something?

EDIT:
Now I see them in the far corners.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
There are some D-rings I covered up that were mounted only to the floor plates. I only use the ones mounted to the frame in the rear corners. For the front there are chain links on the winch mount I attach my straps to.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Damn! Very impressed! You have been busy getting it done in this summer heat! How much water weight did you drop during this overhaul ??
Not as much as I'd hoped :eek:
Had the trailer AC cranking the whole time I was in there, thank god.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
First off, this is an amazing thread. It seems you've managed to reach through the screen and empty my wallet for me as this has inspired me to follow a similar path with my car. I've been reading this in my spare time at work over the last three weeks. Congratulations on everything you've accomplished.

Its way worth doing. HOWEVER....take my hard earned advise on this please.
Use Knee Pads. Just do it. Is it cool and sexy? Nope. Do it anyway.
I didn't and I ruined my knees by the time the job was done and now I am nearly crippled. Seriously, I can hardly walk and not for very far. Since I am so crippled up it's ruined my life in may ways, I got fat, and I can't do certain things you like to do on your knees at night if you catch my drift.
When I was a young pup there was this old crippled up guy that used to come watch me build race cars. Every day at least twice he'd say "Get some damn knee pads or by the time you are my age you'll be crippled up like me"......did I listen? Nope.

This is the best advice I've never heard. As I've been reading this thread it has scared me to the point of avoiding getting on my knees for anything in the garage. Thank you.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is the best advice I've never heard. As I've been reading this thread it has scared me to the point of avoiding getting on my knees for anything in the garage. Thank you.

I was given the same info and ignored it. Now I am paying for my arrogance.
Hate to see it happen to anyone else. You can buy thick foam pads that you can kneel on that work very well. I hate the knee pads but these carpet like pads that you toss on the ground are my favorite. Ok, enough thread jacking...back to topic.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Any news on the SLA setup??? looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
Scrambling on finishing everything up for race next weekend...SLA is fully installed but lots more to finish up. Waiting for my rear shocks to come back from rebuild; hope they make it in-time. Cutting it way close right now...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
One of the things that has been chewing up time is cobbling together a brake cooling setup. No good way to get the 4” hoses routed without getting crushed too easily; going to custom deflectors fed by chutes tied to the front bumper ducts ala GT350

TMO Supporting Vendors