The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302R and 302S registration thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This thread was a great idea. @treynor has a 2013 BOSS 302S.

Voodoo, yes that was me at the 50th in Vegas.

We should probably try to keep track of Original Owners and current owners.

Also, BIW's made by Phoenix, Roush, Watson etc that were Pro raced need to be documented.

Many were raced as R's/S's and have significant Historic race wins/poles that actually help all.

When walking through the paddock of WC races a few years back, say 2014, none of the GTS cars were factory R or S, all were BIW's, everybody. I think only Alec Udell's car was an R.

It would be nice to have an appendix of BIW cars.

Lastly, It would be nice to figure out if anyone is running these's cars (R's/S's/BIW) today at any level. AJ won the first two rounds this year at St Pete which was amazing on so many levels. (Awesome BIW Phoenix build that is a very Historic car).

What's the point, I believe all (R's mostly) are in garages today (actually have been since 2012), only to be uncovered 15 years from now at some Historic events.

The car's (R's/S's/BIW) are a great SCCA T-2 car, whether it meets the rules exactly is a different discussion. It's not a T-1 car as I have first hand experience of that at the 2013 50th SCCA Runoffs, even if I had the Roush Pro motor vs stock. I was happy to come in 5th and not be lapped by AJ's monster Corvette.

OK, last point and back on track of the original post. R's we have a good start. S's are going to be more difficult just because of the quantity of build. BIW's, need to be tracked down someway, in the end someone needs to spend time and write a book. (Although I do like Todd's Facebook page)

Last edited:
Gbiskup,

Agreed. All should be tracked. The sooner the better. Memories fade as time passes. Couldn't we contact the BIW builders directly? They may not give out customer names but hopefully they will share how many they built.

BOSS302R 013 is being driven weekly. 12 hrs so far this year.

These cars were meant to be driven not collected.

Yep, I agree.

I can make some calls. (Phoenix, Dean Martin, Roush, Watson Eng) all made a few.

They're so much fun to drive, good power, great brakes, very neutral and reliable.(still need normal maintenance and upkeep obviously)

So, if you haven't upgraded the valve springs and connecting rods, the engine will go soft at the top end after approx 30-40hours. (due to the valve spring) Plus possible nasty destruction of the bottom end without connecting rod replacement.

I just had my engine refreshed with the above corrections after 43hours (Strongly suggested by Ford Performance Engineers). They also replaced some wacky plastic parts from the engine that I can't identify. Dyno shows approx 100hp gain. (well from when brought in, not new).

Approx 490hp-505hp depending on the drive train loss factor. Which is not as high as a RY motor but I'm happy with it.

I do believe there's also a top-secret "Tune" for R's, getting someone to down load it or admit to it is a different story. I still have 2012 "Tune"

G

Last edited:
I do believe there's also a top-secret "Tune" for R's, getting someone to down load it or admit to it is a different story. I still have 2012 "Tune"

G

I have an extra Boss 302R PCM with a January 2015 version of the 302R Tune that I plan on selling to help fund my project...

Guys,
Which valve springs are you using after 30-40 hrs? Stock boss or the RY "secret sauce" springs?

Right, the stock Boss 302 valve springs are the problem, so yes "RY" secret valve springs.

I asked what brand and they never answered me. However, they sent me the old ones back and maybe there's a clue in the box. If I find out I'll post.

They did say the new valve springs will "last forever".

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel