The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss resale starting to erode?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryA said:
As a new owner, this slight downturn has allowed me to own one of these wonderful machines. For me it's THE Mustang that I missed out on the first time around in '69 and '70 while a poor college student. I am in love with every aspect of this car and it's history and the development process that went into bringing it back, right down to it's solid rear axle. I found my Race Red 2013 with1,300 miles on it, Recaros and Torsen, TracKey already loaded,mats,cover, and factory LS wheels for just under $39K. With only a limited number of these cars, I'm confident there is a buyer like me ready to snatch up and treasure every Boss that goes up for sale, keeping resale value safe.
Welcome to TMO. Post some photos and introduce yourself in the thread below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3503.0

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
GaryA said:
As a new owner, this slight downturn has allowed me to own one of these wonderful machines. For me it's THE Mustang that I missed out on the first time around in '69 and '70 while a poor college student. I am in love with every aspect of this car and it's history and the development process that went into bringing it back, right down to it's solid rear axle. I found my Race Red 2013 with1,300 miles on it, Recaros and Torsen, TracKey already loaded,mats,cover, and factory LS wheels for just under $39K. With only a limited number of these cars, I'm confident there is a buyer like me ready to snatch up and treasure every Boss that goes up for sale, keeping resale value safe.

+1. That's the way many many Boss enthusiasts feel about the Boss. Very special car and part of a special program build bringing back a storied model and not just a decal and wheel car.

The Boss is far more special than the '93 Cobra Fox body. That car is not even in the Boss's league as far as uniqueness, special build process and character and history. The '93 Cobra Fox body was a limited production model with about 5000 built with a hot rodded 5.0 with modified ports and valves and cams. It was not a separate specially developed version of the 5.0. Cool yes but it ain't no Boss 302.

The Cobra R is much more desirable then the Cobra Fox body.

A low milage GHG standard Boss just hammered for $46K without buyer commission of 8%. That's a great money for the seller. Granted its a low mileage car (200) but imho gives us a glimpse of the future values and once we are long past all the GT350 hysteria in a few years. I think low mileage and especially low production Boss 302 in pristine condition will command very good money especially Laguna Secas.

It you want to actually make money on 99.9% of cars buying new is not the answer. The answer is to buy when the cars are old enough to have lost their initial luster, but before everyone else jumps in. And, for the most part, you want a car to be as unique as possible, not a model of a more common car. While the Boss is a Mustang, having a unique VIN helps its potential resale a lot.

I honestly don't think the 2012-13 Boss is going to make anyone any money for a LONG time, for those who bought new when you consider the time value of money. The people with pristine Laguna Seca models might do OK eventually if they just look at them and don't drive them. The money play would probably be to watch the prices on them and grab a garage queen Laguna when they hit the low-$30's, especially 2013 Black/Silver models. As for regular Bosses, nice ones in the low $20's might make people a few dollars eventually. As usual, completely unmodified ones will be the highest value. Don't do any mods that can't be undone, even the common shifter/exhaust/driveshaft mods, unless you keep the original parts.

Another factor when car picking - it really helps if you can pick one that is *not* seen as a collectible right out of the box. This is what is going to hold back the Boss for the average owner. So many Bosses have just been parked hoping for appreciation, that ones that *are* driven have no hope of making the top of the market. Look at the 2013 at the BJ auction. 200 miles. Hell, I put that on my car by the first week.

If it were easy to pick winners everyone would do it. If we were really smart, we would have bought a garage full of Acura NSX or E30 M3's about 10 years ago when you could get a nice one for $20K. Both of those have gone stupid lately.

What would be a smart buy right now? Excluding the silly bubble in Porches, of course.

Viper? (since they have announced the end of production). C5 Z06 Corvette? Both seem like good deals right now, and there are a lot of really low miles ones to take advantage of if all you want to do is shine it and leave it in the garage.

I'll lay one out for you that you probably haven't considered: 2006-2008 Dodge Magnum SRT8. They made a total of 4000 over the three years, and they are totally unique in the market. I don't think anyone thought they would be collectible, so people bought them, modded them, drove them 100K miles and it is already almost impossible to find a low mile one that hasn't been hacked. I saw one today and talked to the owner, and he said he paid $17K for his last year and is constantly being offered $20K plus for it already. Seem goofy? So did 55-57 Nomads, which used to be considered to be the less desirable siblings of the coupes. You heard it here first?

MA
REAL 1 said:
+1. That's the way many many Boss enthusiasts feel about the Boss. Very special car and part of a special program build bringing back a storied model and not just a decal and wheel car.

The Boss is far more special than the '93 Cobra Fox body. That car is not even in the Boss's league as far as uniqueness, special build process and character and history. The '93 Cobra Fox body was a limited production model with about 5000 built with a hot rodded 5.0 with modified ports and valves and cams. It was not a separate specially developed version of the 5.0. Cool yes but it ain't no Boss 302.

I'm really not sure I agree with any of this. I suppose the answer won't be had for another 20 years!
by seperately developed version of the 5.0 do you mean
Unique heads
unique intake manifold
unique throttle body
unique cam
unique roller rocker arms
unique injectors
unique pcm
unique MAF
unique shocks
unique springs
unique transmission
unique clutch
unique exhaust
unique wheels
unique brakes (rear disc)
unique floormats
not to mention unique bumper covers,lamps,spoiler, rocker mouldings,badging etc.
suspenion developed and track tested with input from well known racer car driver (jackie stewart)
and a further limited production model (93R)

to me, sounds VERY much like the Boss 302 program, except it was one year only.
one could argue that the Boss 302 has more shared components with the same year GT than the Cobra does to a 1993 GT..
"coolness" is subjective

93cobra, This (your) car was surely a screamer when it came out...5.0 235hp 1/4 mile [email protected] special to be sure! I had a "04 mustang GT with 260 HP that got totaled thru my own fault. I feel the Boss with 444 HP is a step above those cars with the GT350 rising above that. This performance trend will end soon IMO.....It has to.

MA
302BOB said:
93cobra, This (your) car was surely a screamer when it came out...5.0 235hp 1/4 mile [email protected] special to be sure! I had a "04 mustang GT with 260 HP that got totaled thru my own fault. I feel the Boss with 444 HP is a step above those cars with the GT350 rising above that. This performance trend will end soon IMO.....It has to.
To be clear, I currently have a boss 302, I had a 93 cobra from 2002-2006...so I am just trying to call it like I see it when it comes to this area, having owned both cars. Mostly directed at the dismissal of the 1993 Cobra and the fawning over Boss 302. I LOVE my Boss 302, I just think that sometimes people have unrealistic expectations for future car values. I'm 34 years old, I wasn't around in 1969 or 1970 when the original cars came out. I was there in 1993 when the new SVT products started to land. While I appreciate what the vintage cars represent to alot of people, and I am not trying to piss in anyone's cereal, I think the reality is we just don't know about Boss values down the road. what makes the vintage collector car market what it is driven by middle aged/baby boomer nostalgia, and the means to acquire such cars. when my age group is in a similar position, it will be these SVT products more likely to repeat that same scenario. some of the unique things that me personally think are possible indicators are the uniqueness, low production #s and also, what came after it. Why does a 93 hold its value better than a 94? by most accounts the 93 out performed the 94. is it styling? maybe it is more about what car comes after the car in question that may indicate its fate? another reason the vintage muscle cars are valuable is because of the junk that followed-the late 70s and the 80s...until SVT in 1993! The problem, I think, for us boss owners going forward-is what replaced the Boss. If you look back to say, a 2001 Cobra when the 03/04 came out, or 2012 GT500, when the 13 GT500 came out.....it killed the value on the older one. Bottom line as many others have said, just enjoy it and try not to worry about it (unless you want to sell!) It is Ford's job to make us want to open the wallet and buy the latest and greatest...and they sure have succeed with this GT350!

93cobra said:
I'm really not sure I agree with any of this. I suppose the answer won't be had for another 20 years!
by seperately developed version of the 5.0 do you mean
Unique heads
unique intake manifold
unique throttle body
unique cam
unique roller rocker arms
unique injectors
unique pcm
unique MAF
unique shocks
unique springs
unique transmission
unique clutch
unique exhaust
unique wheels
unique brakes (rear disc)
unique floormats
not to mention unique bumper covers,lamps,spoiler, rocker mouldings,badging etc.
suspenion developed and track tested with input from well known racer car driver (jackie stewart)
and a further limited production model (93R)

to me, sounds VERY much like the Boss 302 program, except it was one year only.
one could argue that the Boss 302 has more shared components with the same year GT than the Cobra does to a 1993 GT..
"coolness" is subjective

Well the Boss is just as unique and more so in some areas when you look at the differences between it and the standard 12/13 GT's compared to the Cobra -vs- standard 5.0 93 GT Fox

I had 2 93 Cobras and restored another including engine rebuilds, all NOS parts.

They were the high water mark if you will for Fox platform, but really not all that unique.

Rear end from T bird for rear disc

"As cast" GT40 heads and Crane 1/7 roller rockers. The cam is not unique This is a myth started by someone

T/B is 70 as opposed to stock 65. MAF changed to work with 24lb injectors which really didn't make sense because 19 lb injectors will support up to 325 hp approx 90 more than the Cobra's rating

The PCM (3 M) isn't as good as the A9L was for ungrades

Intake is better, but restrictive header still same as regular fox which really is what Ford should have worked on

Trans is WC with higher torque rating, but its the same as standard 93 5.0 (another rumor started by ?)

Clutch is no different.

Exhaust...supposedly less restrictive mufflers, but according to Walker who made these for ford there really wasn't anything special othetr than the Ford P/N and logo. Sound wise what your hearing is the slight caming thump from the 1.7 rockers.

Wheels are unique (17") with different offset/back space to compensate for the wider rear track, another rumor was unique from control arms, not so, just a thicker hat on the front rotors to push the front track out to go with the rear.

Shocks/struts from Tokeico, front springs are same as any 5.0, rear springs are actually same a 4 cylinder Fox as is the rear sway bar.

Front bumper cover exactly same as GT, rear is different, Tail lights from 84-86 SVO's.

Bottom like the 93 Cobra was a cool FOX but not all that special. In the fox line up SVO's were way ahead of their time and much more unique. They don't bring the $ that the Cobra does all things being equal but actually they should. Mint wrapper Cobra's are around, and can sell around 25-30K

MA
Dave,

This information is all well and good, but the same could be said about the Boss 302!! (unique intake but the CJ one flows better). rear end out of a mustang GT, Trans out of a GT.... My posts started as the idea of using the 1993 cobra as a comparison tool for potential values down the line...of a similar late model performance ford. Unfortunately it seems to have morphed into something else. Now its an argument of what constitutes "special". As it pertains to the Boss 302, there seems to be mostly 2 camps here, those that have no expectation of value increase and are using their cars, and those that think the Boss is a sacred cow and is somehow different than the last 25 years of limited edition mustangs.

93cobra said:
Dave,

This information is all well and good, but the same could be said about the Boss 302!! (unique intake but the CJ one flows better). rear end out of a mustang GT, Trans out of a GT.... My posts started as the idea of using the 1993 cobra as a comparison tool for potential values down the line...of a similar late model performance ford. Unfortunately it seems to have morphed into something else. Now its an argument of what constitutes "special". As it pertains to the Boss 302, there seems to be mostly 2 camps here, those that have no expectation of value increase and are using their cars, and those that think the Boss is a sacred cow and is somehow different than the last 25 years of limited edition mustangs.

Well I got my car to enjoy driving not for resale later but don't get all hung up on how much more special the 93 car was cause it just ain't so. If I though that I would still have both of mine. and still have the Boss to have way more fun with.

But as for holding value the only 93 Cobra that fall into the realm of "special" collectors interest and value would be the very limited production 93 R. And in reality all Ford did was bring forward the sn95 5 lug spindles and cooling system and delete back seat AC & heat. etc The power was no better than the standard car.

The difference between the 12/13 Boss and the 5.0 Mustang is considerably more than differences between the 93 Cobra vs a 93 GT. As with any somewhat limited production car if you hold on to it long enough and keep the miles very low it may appreciate in value. In another 20 + years I don't see any appreciable difference in percentage of value increase for a standard 93 Cobra and a Boss. Interesting to note the 2000 Cobra R's that were bringing more than what they cost when new a few years ago are now starting to sell for less than as owners move them out of collections in favor of the GT 350 R. .........And so it goes on & on.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Agree with K98dave.

Bottom line. Buy a car because it moves your soul and excites you. I bought my first Boss because the Boss was always a car I wanted and when the brought it back in 12/13 there was no way I wasn't going to buy one. It's a storied and historic mark. Thanks for bringing it back Ford!

Bought a standard CO Boss. Tracked it a lot and got hooked on track events. Always wanted an LS but since I was doing a lot of track events felt it was better just to do some mods on a standard Boss for track work.

Got the opportunity to buy a brand new trans am spec (TA3) Boss 302 spec car and jumped on it ("Thor").

Sold the CO Boss and bought the LS I really wanted as a show and shine/cruise night car. I have the Boss best of both worlds' scenario.

love the Boss. Yeah, I'm a Boss fan boy I guess. 8)

Don't see many Boss' here in Ontario, Canada, which I think is a very positive thing; it stands out from the crowd and some people like that, and will pay a premium for that. :)

And because of that limited supply, the Boss appears to be holding its value pretty good. I've had mine for two seasons now, approaching the 3rd. I'm confident I could put it up for sale and get what I paid for it....or very close to it.

And for all my American friends out there, if your shopping for a Boss, you should look up here in Canada as your dollar currently demands a 35% premium...so you might be able to score a better deal than in your own back yard. Check out trader.ca or kijiji.ca

fiend said:
Macker we live in the same town and I still haven't run into you lol!

Haha! There you go! The largest gathering I've seen to date of Boss' was @ Mustangs @ Mosport event. About a half dozen or so showed up, otherwise, I see very few driving around town.

TMO Supporting Vendors