The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS Track Attack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Re: Track Attack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that's just not updated. There used to be 3 pages, but I think they started taking away the closed dates. Contact Bryan and get on the waitlist.

I talked to the guys last month at the track, waiting for them to announce the next set of dates. I was just curious if it was broken as I have been checking every once in a while to see if the dates are up yet. What a nice bunch of guys btw, they answered all my stupid questions ;D

98RedGT

2012 #552

Heading out to Track Attack next week, any tips, suggestion about the event for the 1st time track user? Are just shorts and t-shirt ok for track day? I believe they provide racing suit, correct? What about the dinner event, anything in particular about this event? I assume it's all casual but don't want to be the only guy that shows up in jeans/shorts ;D

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

4dRacer said:
Heading out to Track Attack next week, any tips, suggestion about the event for the 1st time track user? Are just shorts and t-shirt ok for track day? I believe they provide racing suit, correct? What about the dinner event, anything in particular about this event? I assume it's all casual but don't want to be the only guy that shows up in jeans/shorts ;D

Yes, casual is good.

We went in jeans ans polo shirts for the dinner. They suggest you wear or bring shorts to change into. Suits are provided..

Enjoy.

The museum was one of the nicest I have seen.

CaliMR said:
Anyone looked at the registration page lately? It says there are controls to scroll through the dates but I don't see any. I tried both FF and Explorer

http://www.bosstrackattack.com/index.php/register

Don't rely on the page. I booked through the page and the next day got an email that the date I booked is actually sold out. The have me re-booked for 9/28 now.

I just picked up the latest 5.0 Magazine yesterday and they have a feature on Track Attack (last month MM&FF had one by Evan Smith). I'm so psyched.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

What? You guys didn't go in coat n tie? ;)

I wore a boss shirt...that's about all I packed for the trip...boss shirts. I wore jeans because it was still cool out in April. If it's hot, just wear shorts for the dinner, and for race day. I even fit my jeans in the race suit, because this Caliwaiian was just too cold.

Hey satisfaxtion, I am wondering if you were on the salt flats on Wednesday June 20th. I was headed from MMP to California. We stopped and had the enclosed trailer (Boss inside). We watched and laugh at what a great time someone was having doing donuts. I should have known it was a Boss owner. Thanks for the entertainment.

Warning, long post. If you are like me, your attention span may not allow the entire read. Otherwise . . .

I just finished the Trackattack program and am heading home today, after checking out some of today's driving from the grandstands. The guests had a blast doing this. Overall, it was a very well run event, handled by incredibly professional staff. They were all very friendly, helpful, and entertaining individuals. Water and similar beverages were thrown at you all day long, while the classrooms were incredibly cool and comfortable.

The initial museum tour was interesting. Several Cobras and classics were there, including the Mark 1, 2, 3, and 4 GT 40's! There is a nice gift shop at the main class location with t-shirts and hats, etc.

For the first day, the basic setup of the track training was classroom education alternated with lead follow track time. This is in contrast to my HPDE events which included more instructor in-car type education. There was also a quick heel toe and launch control exercise, as well as a group van ride and track walkabout session. For the lead follow, the speeds progressed as the sessions did. I believe there were 4 track sessions. The last two were open track (non lead follow). The lead follow sessions were obviously restrictive, but once they let you go, you can really rock some solid solo track time. They allowed passing during the last session.

The first day was on the east track. Overall (based on my limited track experience) it is a technical course with three nice straights (one with a kink) and a couple of (what I call) double type turns, Agony/Ecstasy and one other. You are in 3 and 4th gears and can get over a 100 on the straights. Stay in third until you get the feel of the track. My favorite section, by far, was the Attitudes. At the end of a straight, it's uphill to a sharp blind left turn, then a quick snake-like right/left downhill onto another straight. It's kind of like that section of Laguna Seca I've seen. Crazy fun. Not sure what an average lap time was, but I was able to manage a 1:55.3. The hot lap at the end of the day in the rain, defied my belief in the laws of physics.

The second day on the West track was the highlight. The FR500s is a true race car. You get the whole package, with the super tight race seat, stripped down car, super tight suspension, R comp tires, big time negative front camber, tight removable steering wheel, headers, nice race pedals, etc. It felt like a fighter jet. It is much lighter than the Boss, but def has less power. Early lead follow and van ride sessions followed by two full passing-allowed track sessions.

The entire right side of the track is super fast, with several super fast turns. Shift from 3rd to 4th, before hitting the top straight. Cones are setup, on both days, to indicate points of contact to the edge or apex of the turns, a very nice way of directing your flow through the course. At the end of the top straight, there is a sharp left turn leading to some really interesting turns. The second, the Devils, is challenging and fun, with six points of contact! You turn in, hit one apex, track out to the edge, creep in a bit with slight maintenance throttle, then track out a second time, before touching the brake to hit the last apex, and tracking out. The second to last turn, Precision, is absolutely beautiful as it is downhill, banked, and sweeping such that you can see the entirety of the turn well before entry.

We stayed at the host hotel, the Airport Hyatt. The lobby is modest, but they have beer, wine, liquor, and a wonderful complimentary breakfast. I would definitely stay again. One very strange and random thing occurred after our first night, in the first morning, at Breakfast. I saw Thomas Friedman run into the breakfast area, take a look at the breakfast and run off. He was there long enough for me to catch him, shake his hand and say, “You were right, the World is Flat”. He Laughed.

If you get the chance, the 120 mile trip to the Bonneville speedway in the salt flats is worth the time. It is truly a notable historic marker and wonder of nature. There is literally 6 inches of salt for miles and miles. The setting, in a basin surrounded by western mountains is truly spectacular.

For lunch/dinner, we stuck with microbrews and brew pubs. Squatters, Red Rock, Bohemian pubs served excellent beer and food. Squatters was our favorite. Bayou served nice Cajun food with a large draught beer selection. The Market Grill, near the University of Utah, serves top notch seafood in a nostalgic 50's atmosphere, but is a bit pricey. I recommend the fish and chips.

If you get the opportunity, check out the Speed exhibition at the Museum of Fine Art at the University of Utah. They have several record breaking classic cars from Bonneville, as well as one of the old Shelby Daytona's.

Once again, this was an excellent experience. I highly recommend the second day with the FR. If the third day with the Raptor on the dirt track was available, I would have definitely added it. The complex includes other amenities such as a zip line as well. All the staff and pro riders are approachable and helpful. The experience also opened my eyes to driving events that don't require you to bring your own vehicle. It is a stress free and low maintenance way to track and have fun.

To give you an idea of the talent in your instructors, this is Jon Capps in his Funny car doing 1/4 mile in under 5 and over 300mph!

[youtube]D9ylJPYjc2k[/youtube]

Fly out to SLC tomorrow morning. Reception dinner Sunday and track Monday and Tuesday. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning - Can't wait ;D

Any others going for these days?

Brad see you there

further said:
If the third day with the Raptor on the dirt track was available, I would have definitely added it.

My buddy got signed to instruct the Raptor school, I didn't get details yet but I thinking about trying to set it all up for a weekend I can do both and when he is instructing. He taught me how to drive on the track, so it would be cool to have him teach me the dirt too. Though I am sure the other instructors are great too, I met a bunch of them when they were visiting the local track. Great guys.

CaliMR said:
further said:
If the third day with the Raptor on the dirt track was available, I would have definitely added it.

My buddy got signed to instruct the Raptor school, I didn't get details yet but I thinking about trying to set it all up for a weekend I can do both and when he is instructing. He taught me how to drive on the track, so it would be cool to have him teach me the dirt too. Though I am sure the other instructors are great too, I met a bunch of them when they were visiting the local track. Great guys.

Awesome. They were doing some corporate rides in the Raptors, the night after our day session, in the torrential rain, on the dirt Lucas Oil track. The instructor said those things were jumping 30 ft.

Did any of you that attended recent BTA see these 2013 Boss at MMP? I e-mailed Bryan Samuels about them and he told me that Ford held a press session at MMP and chose to leave some behind for their use. Their use at MMP is unknown at this time, but it's possible that they might be used as instructor vehicles.

NewBossatMMP.jpg

Dig-It

Kevin
VA

One of the instructors said the cars were there, but I didn't get to see them.

98RedGT

2012 #552

I was at MMP last week for track attack and one of the instructors said they will be using 2012 model for at least another year or so. Which means some of you 2013 owners will do track attack in 2012 model year, if what he says is correct. Either way, it was a great time and the car is unbelievable in 2012 or 2013.

just got back, I have a new appreciation for my Boss.
I thought wow what a car and man i took that corner fast and it held, THEN for the Instructor ride along I felt like my speed was akin to a moped compared to the instructors. I was Floored at how much faster they pushed the car. I went with Cindy and she was at least 10 seconds a lap faster haha. We really did buy race cars with plates!!

TMO Supporting Vendors