The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

wish they would just ditch the GT/Boss pedal assembly and would have stuck with the known good GT500 assembly. Then at least all that would need to be trouble shot is the stupid clutch. I think I may set it on fire when I take it out. Or beat it to death with a hammer and make a wall in the garage called the wall of shame for crappy parts.

Justin said:
wish they would just ditch the GT/Boss pedal assembly and would have stuck with the known good GT500 assembly. Then at least all that would need to be trouble shot is the stupid clutch. I think I may set it on fire when I take it out. Or beat it to death with a hammer and make a wall in the garage called the wall of shame for crappy parts.

No dont just send it to me so I can make it better. Or just use it as a start for a billet system.

Justin

lol the clutch? the pedal assembly I will keep intact incase they become rare as most are modding theirs or removing them all together.

Justin said:
lol the clutch? the pedal assembly I will keep intact incase they become rare as most are modding theirs or removing them all together.

Yeah I have thought many times of pulling mine out and welding the gusset on just like the gt500 pedal for that support but was in hope someone would have made a billet one already.

I would like a clutch pedal with less travel which could probably be done by modifying where the fulcrum is, and since the box would have to be modded anyways a floor mounted accelerator would be nice too. It is one thing I really like about my E30 BMW, it gives a lot more fine control imo since it isn't floating in space and pivoting while moving.

Justin

The centerforce clutch arrived yesterday. Its a thing of beauty. Cant wait to get it in the car. Probably going to hold off until after oct 28th as thats a Test and Tune day at MIR and I dont think I would have the clutch broken in by then. The GT500 pedal assembly is on back order untill oct 29th. Ordered a new Throwout bearing from Tasca and it arrives today. I want this to be the first and last time I pull that transmission out so I dont want the throwout bearing be a reason to open it up later.

Justin

jeepinocala said:
can you post a few good pictures of the clutch?
yes I can. I will make a seperate thread when I get home and post the pics there to keep from over cluttering this thread.

BLAZN BOSS

If my transmission was any better it would pass for an automatic!

Well its been about 300 miles since I took the Boss in for Transmission and clutch problems and sad to report that the problems are still there, clutch pedal has been sticking, lots of clunking noises especially between 1st and 2nd and generally sloppy and clunky shifting. Will give the dealer another shot at it. but I am not happy with this situation and if it continues to present issues, unfortunatley may be necessary to start looking at lemon law options. Sure hope this can be resolved as the car is a blast to drive just not working the way it should. At least my dealer seems to be willing to work for resolution which is good. I'll post when we get through the next round. Bummer

I would make them put a new transmission and clutch just tell them you do not want their worked on version that does not work and if they do not di it then let them know you are going the lemon law route bet they change the entire thing as they should. Let ford put a few transmissions in they will get it right or cost them more then worth. I tried the rev limiter shift the other day and even with the tsb fluid in the trans feeling better it still would not shift with the black key it just locked me out of gear each rev limit. I need a transmission breakdown I am going to tell my dealer I want that 1-4 shift crap out of my car and not just unplugged ;D

Well, heard back from the dealer today, When I took the car in I asked the Service Manager to go out with me and made him put the car through its paces, he saw the issues with the sticking clutch pedal, sloppy shifting and clunky gears. Agreed with concerns. They called Ford engineering, said it sounded like hydraulics, ok...... so the Hydraulic master cylinder replaced, flushed lines, and from last time with a new clutch, plate, bearing and slave, we should be good right? Find out tomorrow when I go pick the car up. Hope it is, as I am weary of taking time off work to deal with this stuff. If this doesn't solve it, any other idea folks??? Thanks.

MC or clutch slave? Flushing my fluid and fixing a leak made mine a lot better, but it did not fix it.

Justin

My guess is it will make it better for a short period of time then once you get some miles on it it will start again.

I will let you know if going to a better clutch like the Centerforce DYAD I bought will correct the issue. I have a new Slave to install at the same time. And at some point I will be getting the GT500 pedal assembly. I had to cancel the order as I am moving and the ESD is past my moving date so to avoid that entire possible shipping head ache I just canceled the order for now.

Ok so picked up the car from dealer. Drove it back to work and the service advance trac service notification shows up along with the two idiot lights on the speedo. Tuend car off hoping it was just something from the clutch service. Drove car to lunch, warnings come back on. Drive car home warnings come back on

Called the dealer and will be taking the car back in to address this. I am growing weary of the issues. see what happens next. 3rd time in shop in last 3 weeks. Ford are you out there, I am not happy right now!

I had a track day today and unfortunately had my clutch stick to the floor several times. The first time it happened I was shifting from 3rd to 4th at over 7,000 RPM's and I couldn't get it into any gear. Real nice since I had a Z06 on my tail. I had to use my foot to get it up off of the floor. After that it was fine for the rest of the session. The next session it stuck a few more times and I was shifting below 7,000. It also felt soft and stuck at the half way point. Since I had to drive my car home and it was the last session of the day I packed it in. I'll be hitting the dealer in the next week to have them look at it. :(

This may be the solution to the problem, just won't be able to left foot brake:

5db6499003a1b84b4a8d9f70dde712bd.jpg

Seriously though, do you have the spring on your clutch pedal still? I'm curious if removing it helps at all with the sticking, or if it is just for feel. I'm going to pop my head down there and see if there are any mods to the cars at BTA as they claim none of them stick. Also going to try to weasel some info out of them, but they seem to be pretty closed mouth about it if they do have any issues.

Sorry to hear you are having the same issue. Here is the forensic on what we found with mine. There is a tendency to have the clutch pedal stick to the floor at High RPM for me greater than 5k. What dealer ended up doing was the following and it seems to have worked so far....

1. Replaced clutch, clutch plate and slave and bearing.Check fluid for TSB and was new. I had a somewhat early 13 build #404 worth checking.
2. Replaced Hydraulic Master Cylinder and bled lines adjusted linkage.

My dealer was great to work with but this is what it took to finally get some resolution, I am still not sure if this will solve issue long term, but shifter seems tighter, clutch pedal more firm and so far no sticking, but have not put it through its hard paces due to being gone and weather.

That being said, I am cautiously optimistic it will continue to work. Dealer is LHM in SLC if yours wants to discuss, send me an email and I'll give you the names of the folks I worked with.

My guys seemed genuinely interested in solving and according to them spent a fair amount of time on phone with Ford engineering trying to track down issues. They also have a great deal of experience with the various HP mustang variants, Roush, Shelby's, Boss's etc. I think they have some affiliation with the MMSP track attack at some level as well so that helped me I believe.

I sent a letter of thanks to their GM as they were and continue to be great to work with.

The Good news for us was being able to replicate problems on high RPM shifts, without them being able to experience that personally I think we'd still be going around in circles so take that for what its worth.

Still don't like the clunkiness with the tranny but according to the service folks is par for this transmission, so I'll take their word on this one.

Hope this helps you avoid some aggravation.

Good luck!

LOL at the MTB pedal!

I don't think the spring is the problem. If it was wouldn't it do it every shift at 7,000 RPM's? IMO it's a band aid fix just like all the other's many of us have tried.

@dscowan thanks for the offer. If my dealer needs additional info I'll send you a message. So far Harrold Ford in Sacramento has been very eager to help. The owner has owned a 2012 Boss and currently owns a 2013 Boss and GT 500. He's an ex SCCA racer and still owns a vintage NASCAR. He's telling his service dept. to help out in any way they can. They'll also be checking out the CEL's and limp mode I've experienced in the past week. I've been saying for sometime that I think almost all these issues are the clutch and not the tranny and I still believe that's the case. The clutch, TB and slave just can't handle the high RPM's and heat generated tracking a Boss...like is was marketed and sold as. "Race car with a license plate" ::)

FWIW I've been following these issues closely thinking they were going to happen to me sooner or later. Later has arrived for me and if you're tracking your Boss it's probably going to happen to you too sooner or later.

As your rpm goes up the centrifical part comes in stronger and stronger. That is where the assist spring is really bad. Simply cause the more this centrifical force fights the clutch pressure plate springs the more this assist spring helps it and I hope you have seen the spring rates I had tested on this assist spring. There is zero doubt at all that the spring is a bad idea for this car. A complete fix NO but sure does help and if you have your clutch bleed the correct way it will feel good. Yes these transmissions are going to make noises and it is more then fine they are built like a tank.

TMO Supporting Vendors