The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domestic Product said:
Good positive thinking! could be..... or they have run out and are waiting for more. I can report after my transmission failure and rebuild with after market clutch and other parts as well as the clutch non assist spring removal. The car performs well no issues with shifting with two track days with the car taken to the rev limiter (just to see). I'm hoping that this is a done deal I plan on 4 or so more track days this year and if I get through all of them with no issues then I will feel better about the car. Also no codes thrown!
I now have three track days on tracks where I previously had shifting lock out. I'm happy to report that I haven't missed a single shift since installing my McLeod RXT clutch. I think the clutch replacement is the solution for shifting lock out. Unfortunately it's not for the clutch pedal sticking to the floor. I removed the helper spring and haven't had it stick since then.

Well, took the Boss out for a run in the desert last week hoping the sticking clutch pedals, sloppy linkage issues and 3rd gear shift issues had been fixed last fall, during my last dealer visit. Sorry to say in no uncertain terms they have not, this will be the 5th time I am going to put the Boss back to the dealer to try and correct the issues. I think I may have finally run out of patience, I do not have ability to keep taking time off work to run the car back and forth to the shop for repairs. Thinking it may be time sell it and move on. Debated on buying a Shelby or the Boss and chose that latter, wondering if the Shelby would have been better? At this point if I sell I will be done with Mustangs :-(

Question to the forum, I keep hearing rumblings that Ford may be doing some recall for these issues. Is that based on some facts or purely speculation and hope at this point. I do love the car, but my time is worth something too and it is very expensive time at that. Let me know your thoughts. Dealer has been great but we're not getting anywhere and I'm tired of fighting it and will not spend thousands more dollars to fix a car that has 3,000 miles on it. Thanks

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Well it's a hit and miss, Me and Mike)(06Mach1) who makes the lower grill have used our cars since we bought them and neither of Us have issues with our trannys at this point, except for the shifter.

dscowan said:
Well, took the Boss out for a run in the desert last week hoping the sticking clutch pedals, sloppy linkage issues and 3rd gear shift issues had been fixed last fall, during my last dealer visit. Sorry to say in no uncertain terms they have not, this will be the 5th time I am going to put the Boss back to the dealer to try and correct the issues. I think I may have finally run out of patience, I do not have ability to keep taking time off work to run the car back and forth to the shop for repairs. Thinking it may be time sell it and move on. Debated on buying a Shelby or the Boss and chose that latter, wondering if the Shelby would have been better? At this point if I sell I will be done with Mustangs :-(

Question to the forum, I keep hearing rumblings that Ford may be doing some recall for these issues. Is that based on some facts or purely speculation and hope at this point. I do love the car, but my time is worth something too and it is very expensive time at that. Let me know your thoughts. Dealer has been great but we're not getting anywhere and I'm tired of fighting it and will not spend thousands more dollars to fix a car that has 3,000 miles on it. Thanks
I have not heard anything about a recall for clutch and tranny issues. Where did you read that?

What is your dealer doing to your car? If your Boss won't shift at any RPM's that a tranny issue. If it won't shift above 7,000 then it's the clutch. To fix the clutch pedal sticking to the floor remove the helper spring. It's a band aid fix but it works.

Okay, so I have around 30 track days and have had zero issues with my clutch, then today at VIR the pedal decides to stay on the floor or only return about 1/2 way back up. It also feels different letting it back out.

After I pulled the clutch back up with my foot, it seemed to be good for several laps, then it did it again.

Any suggestions in what to do? Should I bring it to the dealer, will they have any clue on how to fix this?? Or just she'll out for an aftermarket clutch? Any recommendations and about how much that will cost me?

Thanks!!!

kbush02 said:
Okay, so I have around 30 track days and have had zero issues with my clutch, then today at VIR the pedal decides to stay on the floor or only return about 1/2 way back up. It also feels different letting it back out.

After I pulled the clutch back up with my foot, it seemed to be good for several laps, then it did it again.

Any suggestions in what to do? Should I bring it to the dealer, will they have any clue on how to fix this?? Or just she'll out for an aftermarket clutch? Any recommendations and about how much that will cost me?

Thanks!!!
Please take your car to your local dealer and document the issues although they won't be able to fix it. A band aid fix for the pedal sticking is removing the helper spring. After I installed my new clutch I still had the pedal stick to the floor. While at the track I removed the spring and the sticking went away and I have not had any issues at my last three track days. Installing an aftermarket clutch fixed my shifting lock out but did nothing for the pedal sticking.

Thanks! I'll bring my car to the dealer next week. Where is the helper spring located? I assume under the dash near the pedal???? Is it easy to remove?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NFSBOSS said:
Here's a good how to thread on the spring.

http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/14258-clutch-sticking-during-high-rpm-shifts-how-to-fix-it/
thats the hardest way to do it. the vice grips method is very easy. i will use my new replay hd camera today and do it on my pedal assembly then make it a how to.

Ok, here's likely a dumb question. It seems there's been a rash of new clutch issues lately so I was paying closer attention to some clunking noises this morning when I started the Boss. I normally have the radio on windows down and the exhaust is loud so I don't always hear everything. I noticed with the trans in neutral that if I let the clutch out quickly there's a light clunk. Is that normal? After I did it two or three times it lessened. It doesn't seem alarming, just wondered if that's normal. I haven't been having any shifting issues or clutch pedal stay-in on the track or the street.

My '12 Boss never had any clutch issues but my '13 LS has been giving me some issues in very hot weather when I've been using the car as intended. I haven't had the pedal completely stick to the floor as some describe, but I was getting a very inconsistent feel - sort of a weird 'springy' feel occasionally.

So I removed the clutch assist spring yesterday. Why had I not done this sooner??? The pedal feel is so much better, more linear with no hitches. I only drove about 20 miles afterwards yesterday so I can't report back about whether the issue I was having is cured but I would recommend removing the spring for the better feedback/feel.

cloud9 said:
Ok, here's likely a dumb question. It seems there's been a rash of new clutch issues lately so I was paying closer attention to some clunking noises this morning when I started the Boss. I normally have the radio on windows down and the exhaust is loud so I don't always hear everything. I noticed with the trans in neutral that if I let the clutch out quickly there's a light clunk. Is that normal? After I did it two or three times it lessened. It doesn't seem alarming, just wondered if that's normal. I haven't been having any shifting issues or clutch pedal stay-in on the track or the street.

That does not sound normal Gary. Next time you have it on a lift or stands put it in neutral and see how much lash there is in the rear diff. Just twist the driveshaft and see how much back and forth it will go before it wants to turn the wheels. That should help eliminate the diff as a cause.

Someone somewhere posted about a clunk from the clutch and it turned out to be the pressure plate.

Fat Boss said:
That does not sound normal Gary. Next time you have it on a lift or stands put it in neutral and see how much lash there is in the rear diff. Just twist the driveshaft and see how much back and forth it will go before it wants to turn the wheels. That should help eliminate the diff as a cause.

Someone somewhere posted about a clunk from the clutch and it turned out to be the pressure plate.
With the trans in neutral it shouldn't be engaging the rear diff should it? (i.e. releasing the clutch wouldn't cause a clunk through the diff) I wondered about the pressure plate which is why I asked the question. Do you remember what their issue turned out to be? Was it the bolts backing out?

The more I listen to it I think it's just normal driveline clunk.

So are people getting good results removing the spring with the stock clutch. If we're all taking this spring out why they hell is it even there? Surely the bean counters would have deleted it if it wasnt needed.

cloud9 said:
With the trans in neutral it shouldn't be engaging the rear diff should it? (i.e. releasing the clutch wouldn't cause a clunk through the diff) I wondered about the pressure plate which is why I asked the question. Do you remember what their issue turned out to be? Was it the bolts backing out?

The more I listen to it I think it's just normal driveline clunk.

Sorry, didn't see the art about it being in neutral and making the clunk. Sound like pressure plate to me. IIRC the problem was with the plate itself and not the bolts. Are you still on your stock clutch?

JB said:
So are people getting good results removing the spring with the stock clutch. If we're all taking this spring out why they hell is it even there? Surely the bean counters would have deleted it if it wasnt needed.
The spring is there to make the pedal easier to depress. Some didn't like the feel with the spring removed with the stock clutch, said there was a dead spot in the feel, and that kept me from removing mine. I removed mine after I installed a McLeod RXT clutch. Much to my surprise the McLeod twin discs was easier to depress than the stock clutch so after removing the spring it now feels more like stock. If you remove the spring you can always reinstall it if you don't like the feel.

Fat Boss said:
Sorry, didn't see the art about it being in neutral and making the clunk. Sound like pressure plate to me. IIRC the problem was with the plate itself and not the bolts. Are you still on your stock clutch?
Stock as in OEM or stock as in not the third OEM clutch? :p

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Justin said:
thats the hardest way to do it. the vice grips method is very easy. i will use my new replay hd camera today and do it on my pedal assembly then make it a how to.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5594.new#new

From another thread:

Justin said:
I think that the separate reservoir defenitaley couldn't hurt. I wish they made it easier to bleed as well. And I thought I had problems back when I had a cable clutch with a worn out clutch cable. Lol

isrboss said:
I just understand springs travel in two directions.

I think the sharing may have an impact. When I bleed my brakes, my clutch always feels odd for about 100 miles after. Seems to hunt for the engagement point, then it just gets good.

Justin said:
i don't think the problem is sharing the fluid but more with the slave cylinder. Hopefully the aftermarket brings us a better option

isrboss said:
I applaud the fact that some will never quit trying to find a better way, but I'm not finding breakthroughs here in reliability. The flip side is if manufactures keep having their vehicles on their lifts for the same issue, they usually apply a fix to the troubled area/part. I don't see this happening for the trans/clutch problem though. The GT500's, Mustangs/Boss and others say R/S's have it as well, so it does appear the aftermarket is going to need to step up and fix this for us. The spring is not the fix(for some), the clutch is not the fix(for some). My guess would have to be the hydraulics is the real fix. I don't think it would be all that hard for some of you to just add a separate reservoir to the clutch, block off the fittings on the brake reservoir and see what happens. That would be a good place to start, what do you guys think, is that a doable test?

TMO Supporting Vendors