The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake noob. Stoptech or hawk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking to do pads and rotors. Have three track days coming up and I plan on doing just brakes along with cooking ducts. Car still see's the street but I would like an aggressive set up considering even at my one autocross event I had pretty good brake fade. I don't think I need a DTC70 pad but i would just like to hear what would be a good set up. I chose these two companies due to getting dealer pricing. Thanks!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Bloodykisses said:
Looking to do pads and rotors. Have three track days coming up and I plan on doing just brakes along with cooking ducts. Car still see's the street but I would like an aggressive set up considering even at my one autocross event I had pretty good brake fade. I don't think I need a DTC70 pad but i would just like to hear what would be a good set up. I chose these two companies due to getting dealer pricing. Thanks!

Cooking ducts are not recommended. Cooling on the other hand... ;D

I'm using Hawk Performance Ceramics for now because I'm seeing more street than track. Their a good set-up for my lower level driving skills and will be looking to upgrade after running a few more tymes this year.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
When I decided to upgrade I discussed my desires with Pete from Track Day Solutions. Pete is also a moderator here as well as a wealth of knowledge on driving and go fast products.

Pete took the time to determine what would be best for me and the Boss. I still don't know how he gets me brake pads in under 24 hours, order to parts received.

Click on the link to his site on the right or send Pete a PM.

Tracy

I liked the HP+ at the track, they don't last super long though. For the street they work great, depending on how much money you are willing to spend I would seriously consider XP20's/XP10's for road course, amazing pads.

+1 for Carbotech. There tech line was very helpful for me and reviewed my skills, tracks and tire choice before recommending XP24 front and XP12 rear.
Nice thing is the track capable rears can be left on the car and just switch to their street front compound after returning from an event. I run instructor group and with Nitto Nt01 tires.
Correct on cooling ducts being smart. Not critical on street tires with Carbotech pads but helpful. Needed with stickier tires.

Don't forget to upgrade brake fluid. This is critical even on street tires. I have had good success with Motul 600. My first event was on street tires and I ran out of time to change the stock GT Track Pack fluid. Burnt it to a crisp.

TMSBOSS said:
When I decided to upgrade I discussed my desires with Pete from Track Day Solutions. Pete is also a moderator here as well as a wealth of knowledge on driving and go fast products.

Pete took the time to determine what would be best for me and the Boss. I still don't know how he gets me brake pads in under 24 hours, order to parts received.

Click on the link to his site on the right or send Pete a PM.

Tracy
+1 I have used Pagid for years and Pete dialed me into the right compound for my type of track use when I bought the Boss. Dave

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
+1 on Pete and Pagid pads. RS29 pads are perfectly usable on the street and truly something special on the track. Probably the best upgrade the car has so far.

TMSBOSS said:
One caution if you go with the pagid pads be sure to follow the bedding instructions to avoid excessive pad transfer.
Cover the cooling intakes, I did not....the first time.

The bedding instructions are kinda extreme, fun but yeah really?, you can download them from their website - and when followed they work great.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Viper1mx said:
The bedding instructions are kinda extreme, fun but yeah really?, you can download them from their website - and when followed they work great.

I thought so also. I went through the bedded process with a little less enthusisam then described in the instruction and left the cooling ducts open. After the first track day I could not drive the Boss on the street. Vibration was terrible.

I took a DA to the rotors, blocked the ducts and followed the instructions and it worked. Vibration eliminated.

So much for me being smarter than the instructions... ::)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Curious as to the average tyme to change the brake pads at the track. For those without a trailer or the car in tow, do you prefer to just drive to the track and change out to track pads and take them off again for the ride home?

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TymeSlayer said:
Curious as to the average tyme to change the brake pads at the track. For those without a trailer or the car in tow, do you prefer to just drive to the track and change out to track pads and take them off again for the ride home?

A pad swap is quick assuming the pads are cold. 30 Minutes max, usually less.

Still, I drive with my Pagid pads all the time on the street. Squeaks very seldom.

drano38

Wayne
Agree pad swaps don't take too long, just let them cool off tymeslayer said.
I use this to push the pistons back. Modified a tool, so now it pushes all 4 pistons at once. Makes it quick.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3348.msg53514#msg53514

Or, find a pad that works for both as others have been able to find.

TymeSlayer said:

Time here isn't the issue (5 mins per side once tire is off) - the issue is finding street pads that are compatible with your track pads - which may extremely limit your pad choices out there and require some emails. The problem is the pad transfer to your rotors, if you're not running a dedicated set of track rotors and pads and hoping you can just swap out to street pads after an event, I think you my be pretty alarmed at the amount of chatter you're going to see on the street with your "street" pad and then once again the chatter when you go back to the track with your "track" pads, which at speed can be pretty violent.

Talk with your preferred pad vendor and tell them your plans and see what they have to say.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Viper1mx said:
Time here isn't the issue (5 mins per side once tire is off) - the issue is finding street pads that are compatible with your track pads - which may extremely limit your pad choices out there and require some emails. The problem is the pad transfer to your rotors, if you're not running a dedicated set of track rotors and pads and hoping you can just swap out to street pads after an event, I think you my be pretty alarmed at the amount of chatter you're going to see on the street with your "street" pad and then once again the chatter when you go back to the track with your "track" pads, which at speed can be pretty violent.

Talk with your preferred pad vendor and tell them your plans and see what they have to say.

Agree.

I drive on track and on the street with the same pads. Limited street driving.

Chatter from transfer can cause a severe vibration just driving down the road. Rotors will need to be clean when making a swap. Separate rotors for each pad or a pad you can use on the street and track are the best way to go.

Pete fro track day solutions, link on the right, took the time to set me up with a pad that worked for me.

Give him a try.

drano38

Wayne
Carbotech says their Bobcat street pads are compatible with their race pads.

I now run PFC, and they said their street pads are also compatible with their race pads. I put the street pads in after my last track event in Sept. And when I get ready for my first event this year I'll do a bedding procedure with the race pads. I'll also take a spare set of race only rotors along just in case.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel