The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can I adjust toe with the car on a 4 post?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
This is probably a dumb question but.. I'll ask it anyway.
Is there any reason I shouldn't set my toe with the car on the 4 post lift?
I always adjust camber on a level part of the shop, but what about toe?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I think it would work fine. Perfectly level won't matter and you can roll it forward and back after adjustment and recheck to avoid any bind caused by not having slip plates.
DaveW
I do it all the time. In fact, I'm doing it right now. LOL. (currently on lunch break) You will need some sort of slip plates since the tire sticks to the rack and twists the carcass as you change toe. This can give you a false reading. I have done it where I roll the car back and forth to settle the suspension after every adjustment but slip plates are much easier and more accurate. I have turn plates from an alignment rack now and this is the preferred method but anything slippery can work. Several squares of linoleum or sheets of waxed paper even 2 pieces of sheet metal with grease in between works. You just want the wheels to be free to move as you turn the tie rods. I just checked EBAY and there are some nice full floating plates here for so cheap, I'm going to buy an extra set. lol. Mine are steel and super heavy, these Aluminum ones look like they are just what I need.

(Similar, but steel)

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
I have the Longacre turn plates. However, I tend to be somewhat lazy when it comes to using them and instead use two large lawn trash bags folded up and placed under the front tires. I can turn the steering wheel with one finger.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
I have toe plates. I can see I’m going to need some type of swivel action. I started Making adjustments last night and my big problem was the tire grabbing. (I love that trash bag method Pat. Those suckers are slippery)
Thanks!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors