The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Another slow month, not many updates.

Picked up some more parts here and there, not much on the chassis side, and the motor is a f-ing nightmare.

I've been doing the "not this week, but I promise next week" dance for a few months now with the builder, and I thought I finally was hearing some progress when they actually called me (imagine my shock):

They had honed the block and were prepping for assembly to meet a Friday deadline where I was to come pick it up in person. However after honing, they weren't satisfied with the bores knowing that I wasn't going to accept anything less than ideal. So they asked if they could overbore it and get my authorization for new pistons that were .005" over what I had (an added cost). I gave them that authorization, they mentioned the pistons were in stock and quoted a week from yesterday to be done (the builder is out of town this week). This also gave me a chance to move back from 11.5:1 to 11:1 (the 11.5:1 had been unusually difficult to tune from a fuel need perspective, not really being in a happy place short of 94.5 octane) All seemed well.

However, I reviewed Manley's piston offerings, knowing my bores were already 3.640" (0.010" overbore). They don't make a 3.645" piston off the shelf, so I thought I'd reach out to MMR for clarification on the bore sizes. They shot back quickly that my original build was 3.635" (0.005" over) and that they were going to 3.640". This didn't seem right as all my paperwork (linked here: http://1drv.ms/1QvBJgd ) showed the 3.640". Since the builder is out this week, emails and calls I've placed are unanswered (or I receive well you have to wait). So of course I'm frustrated and am left with a perception of one of the following possibilities (ranked best to worst):

-The original sheet is wrong, and they measured the bores before talking to me (somehow THAT is the best possibility, le sigh)
-The original sheet is right, they just didn't check this time
-The original sheet is right, they have a bad measurement
-The original sheet is right, they didn't measure shiznit
-The original sheet is right, and I'm just being sold something for the sake of profiteering

There's a lot more possibilities out there, but my perception as the oft-screwed customer is going to be slighted. So we'll see what happens next week. Hopefully can work on the chassis a bit, or work on trying to find more money to dump into this endless pit of heartbreak.

Bummer. Your engine build is a never ending nightmare.

Man, I hate hearing horror stories like this. This one even has a bad script.
I just hope...like I'm sure you do is that in the end it's all worth it and you end up with one hell of a motor.
Your a better man than me keeping your cool thru all this.
Kudos to you!

Might as well get a FRPP alluminator in the car, and just drop the engine build with MMR before they take your money. I know the Alluminator is nothing special compared to your build but it will give you the power and reliability you need.

captdistraction said:
My money's been gone lol. Otherwise an aluminator would be sitting between the fenders already

No way to know this would happen we all love those MMR new products and race build pics. Reality is the Aluminator is the only guaranteed thing, but its not for everyone. If you want different cams or oliver rods, maybe keep the piston jets, set of 13:1 CP pistons? that's all calling my name so no Aluminator for me either. I'll be taking mine to Holbrook in Livonia Michigan. They build the fastest super stock coyote's in the country and I want one - E85 - 13:1 - road race special !! ahaha.

Keep up the great work, that steering wheel hub is very F1 and would make Darren jealous.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Another day, another update. The chassis is closing in:

-Gutted drivers door and removed insulation (did a much better job on this side, though I did roast a decal during cleanup, no big deal there.
-Fabricator completed basic design of front cooling aero modifications (ducting of the radiator, oil coolers)
-Cage completed outside door bars
-belt mounts for both sides installed
-front tow hook cuts completed
-mounted the CJ airbox and worked on ducting its inlet and mocking a cover for the section with the tiger racing hood.

Purchased some new splitter rods, and other small hardware.

No movement on the motor. Had a call with MMR last tuesday about the motor and that it would be ready friday, and that they're certain on the bore sizes and will hit the mark on the .003 PTW clearances. I guess in for whatever. They're enthusiastic about the build, I just haven't been able to get excited. Hopefully whatever the latest delay was is just minor. They talked me into using their upgraded secondary chains, as I had never changed mine from the original factory motor that had a cam go out of position from valve consumption. Just insurance as the chains looked fine. Primary chains are being reused, as they only had 18k miles on them or so, no kinks or concerns.

Some pictures:
Egs3Ccn.jpg

dt4K2Ig.jpg

7lMJJ3k.jpg

ffqXTmJ.jpg

CwIfFIt.jpg
3SW8XGz.jpg
VWDyn3y.jpg

YV8XGiN.jpg
5dU8gDk.jpg
SM6F8g0.jpg
X7FjznA.jpg

Some necessary cheekiness:
QAABUnf.jpg

On a more personal and depressing note: my wife has discovered some very very serious health issues and the outcome of which will determine when/if I even take this car racing or put the project up for sale to help support her. While I don't want to think about that just yet, its something I have to have a contingency for in case things don't turn our way. Updates might be a bit more slow over the next few months as we deal with those, though I'm hopeful to have the car completed and ready for race before I have to make that decision. I don't want to publicly post what it is just yet, but we're prepared to beat it. Right now the thoughts are that we're not only going to beat it, but beat it AND live a normal life unaffected.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
some garage work done:

Finished porting of the cobra jet manifold (by porting, I mean removing the ridiculous seams and bumps/flash in the casting). I filled the seam behind the throttle body, and cleaned up every runner. Some of the runners had blocky protrusions that were 3mm in height, definitely hurting airflow. I smoothed down each runner with a dremel and various sanding bits/extensions, then went in and sanded by hand at 120, 180, and finished at 320 to get a smooth finish. I also took down the injector bungs and cleaned up the transitions there.

M3zHMmW.jpg

Put some paint down on the oil pan again (because why not), and matched the coil covers. At least something something bling something faster.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Capt D:

Nice work. I would like to know if you also opened up the spaces between the runners. I ask as I have noticed my OEM Boss IM is solid composite between the runners, and I have thought about drilling a few holes and then using a Dremel tool to finish up with opening up the spaces between my runners.

Thinking about venting more hot air coming off the engine valley. I have all ready removed the foam blocks both front and rear from under the Boss IM. Any thoughts on opening up the OEM Boss IM runners?

Also, it would be a good time to clean up my IM internals as you mentioned above.

Thanks,
302 Hi Pro

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I'm not too worried about the spaces between as since the manifold is made up of multiple castings, those seams are where the strength comes from. I don't want to risk overdoing it there. I'll wrap the base of the runners in gold heat reflective tape, but otherwise not too worried about it with all the other aero and cooling modifications on the car.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
More updates:

Window net
f2cCuBol.jpg

Cage made some more progress, won't be identical doorbars on drivers side due to seat design and exit needs.
jr6l5Dxl.jpg
tyYElAPl.jpg

Radiator shrouding finished (not seen, fully ducts into the inlet for the cold air intake)
7H0d5fil.jpg
QtzxCTul.jpg

As usual, this can't just go without some side helping of bullsh*t. The motor shipped on the 9th (picked up by UPS freight LTL). Scheduled delivery for the 10th. I check in on the 11th today, and UPS f*cking lost my motor. I've given them the invoiced amount for insurance purposes, but I expect a long drawn out claims process to prevent any aspirations I had of being on track in early 2016. How this keeps happening is beyond me.

Back to more positive notes:

Installed the Gaprider bracket, very very slick piece of gear.

Helping a buddy take his boss back to stock and buying a number of parts off of it including brake upgrades, watts link, better shifter (I have a steeda unit) and maybe some motor mounts should time allow.

captdistraction said:
More updates:
As usual, this can't just go without some side helping of bullsh*t. The motor shipped on the 9th (picked up by UPS freight LTL). Scheduled delivery for the 10th. I check in on the 11th today, and UPS f*cking lost my motor. I've given them the invoiced amount for insurance purposes, but I expect a long drawn out claims process to prevent any aspirations I had of being on track in early 2016. How this keeps happening is beyond me...

Wow... that is just horrible luck!!
Did they fully insure the engine?!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Darn, that is heartbreaking news, I would think with all of their high tech tracking systems that your engine is found and delivered quickly. Let's hope for the best.

On a good note, that is one trick air venting sheet metal work to improve cooling on your car. Roll cage work is progressing very nicely as well.

Kind Regards,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The "best" thing that could happen in this situation is that the other engine is gone forever and you get paid out nicely, and turn that into an Aluminator crate engine.

Fingers crossed.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel