The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Keeping my mind off the above, made even more progress. A buddy is trading his boss in and made me a deal I couldn't pass on:

ST43 pads
Dba4000 rotors f/r
Mgw gen1
White line watts link
Titanium shims for brakes

Was too good a deal to pass, gets a number of items checked off the list and looking forward to the mgw+gaprider bracket setup

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
12375598_10153720047346217_1624760187_o.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Very nice and it looks as though she arrived in excellent condition.

Now you have your work cut out for you over the Holiday break.

Things are looking up and I hope the new engine is all sorted out.

Good luck,

302 Hi Pro

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Hopefully 8:1 with the weight of the chassis.

Hard to say:

11:1 compression ratio, shortblock very similar to boss shortblock (Manley h beams and Pistons)
Boss production heads, cams. Most of the upgrades are hardening and cooling upgrades.
Cobra jet intake, kooks style longtubes, off-road exhaust. Monoblade

There's no reason to expect any more than 440rwhp at the tops. I would have gone much more wild, taken advantage of larger cams the motor would likely love, but id be classed up into wallet racing category that I'd have no chance to win.

I do hope moving the compression down a half point from what it was makes the motor more fuel friendly, though I'll be running 100 unleaded regardless.

Have about a million small parts to track down, and of course there's no rear crank housing or main seal so I'll have to get them to ship that to me

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I ordered the front bumper beam and tow hook today to replicate your setup when Junior does the radiator boxing.

Dropping the stock bumper beam, CoolTech front hook bracket and hook, and splitter bracket should offset the weight the splitter spacer I'm going to have him build, as well.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Not really; I barely can afford to finish the car, but I did buy a number of sets of used and some new pads and rotors. I should have enough brakes and pads to last a season or really 1.5 since I think I'm at least a month out from even firing the motor.

Once I make an event, I'll start planning for brakes, real dampers and such as needed, but focus for now is just getting to the track.

That being said, if there are reasonably priced upgrades that are meaningful I'll entertain them (i.e. The 302s/r abs box is going in). Otherwise it will be the factory brembo package with some dba4000 rotors and various hawk/pfc/raybestos race pads, ducted.

Here she is off to the paint4e6ba7b033a09aff2a1d8e6f4a4eb09d.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
CD:

Progress on your build is looking good, and it looks like you have made a lot of progress over the last 2 months.

What is the plan for paint and glass?

Thanks for the updates and interesting read on your build.
All the best in the new year,
302 Hi Pro

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
For paint and glass, the plan is as follows:

The entire interior will be in a glossy very light gray. Everyone seems to do white but its just too sterile for me. The insides of the doors will match the yellow blaze base coat yellow. The roof and top face of the decklid will be black (the decklid has had its holes welded closed, so requires paint, black is a cost savings measure and prevents blends, though I will leave the rear faces yellow blaze for continuity along the taillight panel surrounds). The roof has a ding from the cage install, and the passenger mirror assembly was damaged during assembly so it will be repaired/replaced. The quarter glass is gone, and is replaced by sheet aluminum. The driver's side will have a naca duct for later cooling use, and the passenger side will have some mild louvering to lower pressure buildup in the cabin at speed. They'll be painted black to maintain the factory look and I already have the patterned parts completed.

Itching to get through paint so I can reassemble the damn car, may take the rear axle out temporarily to get the torsen installed. Drivetrain will probably be installed while its at the paint shop as I plan on having the engine bay finished this week while waiting my turn for the booth and all the prep in the cage area is done

There's an incredible amount of work to be done.

I really dig your car. Your welder did a GREAT job on the entire roll cage. You will be totally safe from impact.
I also like the idea that you went with a different inter. color.

Hope everything is looking up with the real Boss.
Your mustang sure is taking on its own bad ass personality. Thats a long road you traveled and its starting to all fall into place.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
I see your location is Arizona, will you be racing against Arazona Boss? Same class, circuits, etc?

Thanks for the paint/glass update, I think other members enjoyed learning about your plan as well.

Ok, Back to work, and all the best in your up coming race season,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel