The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Car prep for 200MPH?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planning to run the TX mile in march in the 199mph class. https://texasmile.net/participants/
Anyone ever run the high speed events like this or the Silver State Challenge?
The car will be my 08 GT with the GT500 front end and aerodynamics, Big Brembos from the 2016 up cars, with Hawk Pads Motul DOT 4 fluid and a 540 RWHP Coyote engine prepped for 9000 RPM.
Biggest question is tires, they need to be speed rated (y) so anyone have a preference for a DOT or the Hoosier A7?
I'm putting in fresh front hubs/bearings this week, along with the new pads I'm prepping the car as I used to do for T1 SCCA where my Steeda Q would routinely hit 170 at various tracks and I was using the Kumhos back then but was only above 140 for brief periods, But there is a big difference once you hit that number and keep pushing.

Do they have to be DOT? Hoosier also makes some competition only slicks.
I'd also look into an Accusump, since losing oil pressure and blowing an engine at those speeds will likely get you a trip to the ER.
Also don't be surprised if you dont hit 200mph, remember drag increases exponentially.

Ive been trying to dig and see the HP level it takes to get there but its pretty vague for the 08 GT 500 Aero. I know several have hit 215 and 225 but no effing way I'm going there with out a cage. I'm honestly happy with 185 and "kissing" 200 would be awesome.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I think we could use some more info:

- What do you mean by GT500 aero? The 07-09 GT500s didn't have much in the way of significant "aero" besides some small hood vents and larger grille openings. Near as I can tell, the "splitter" isn't functional, or minimally so. The spoiler is marginally functional.

no chute... Do I need it with my brakes at #3000?

- could you clarify here a bit? Does your GT weigh 3000 pounds? That's pretty light even for a totally stripped car. You'd have to strip all the stock safety equipment to get it there since you don't have a cage, and then my advice becomes "don't drive the car." I could be reading this wrong though.

- a cage seems like the minimum I'd do for safety at 200 mph. Stock safety equipment is going to leave a lot desired at 185, 200, or 215 mph, especially in an older car that isn't exactly built for ultra high speed stability.

- what wheels are you running?

Am I reading this correctly: that you are attempting to go 200 mph at the Texas Mile with a 540 rwhp Coyote-swapped 08 GT, a standard GT500 front bumper, that weighs 3000 pounds, with no additional safety equipment? Not trying to poke holes here, but I have some concerns and a detailed build thread would be very helpful.

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
540 horsepower isn't going to get you to 200 in one of these Mustangs.
The 13-14 Shelby GT 500 were rated at 662 hp and were supposedly able to just break 200, never did see how many miles you needed to get it up there.
There is a Boss 302 that did a bit over 200 at the Texas mile and it was supercharged.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
At that speed, how much of a factory is rolling resistance? It takes more power to push a big, sticky tire. That's why even funny cars run skinny fronts. Aero drag is also a huge factor. You've got 1 mile to accelerate and only 1/2 mile to decelerate, so you'll need to decelerate at twice the average G-factor you were accelerating at. Should be pretty simple math to figure out the acceleration needed to get to 200mph in one mile. Problem is, you probably won't be able to maintain the same acceleration all the way - as you shift up gears, you're reducing the net effective torque being applied to the drive wheels.

I'm running 4.10 gears and 540 to the wheels that is a bit over 600hp. My T1 Car would easily hit 170 at the end of TWS, Road Atlanta, and Memphis Motor so I'm not a newbie to high speed. I'm a SCCA T1 National Champion. The 08 GT 500 was able to hit over 200 in testing by Ford so the aero is there, the rest is gearing and brute HP. The 4.10s and 8700 where my redline will be tuned to should exceed 200. Yes the car will be close to #3000 It was #3300 with the 3v and its getting a 40-50 break from the 5.0 then light battery, driveshaft, flywheel. Car is a base GT with no rear seats, not sure what "safety" equipment your speaking of other than airbags. And My forgelines weigh #18 each.
And a chute is NOT desirable for a spin only stopping in a straight line. That is for dragstrips.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I'd really like the details on your car because those are some pretty wild numbers and I'd love to see how you got them so I can do the same. I'd be interested to know how you became the T1 national champion as well, so definitely would love to see a build thread if you have time!

Last edited:
I'd really like the details on your car because those are some pretty wild numbers and I'd love to see how you got them so I can do the same. I'd be interested to know how you became the T1 national champion as well, so definitely would love to see a build thread if you have time!

This is the basics.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/coyote-swap-into-05-09-gt.16888/ (build of motor)

(more details ) https://www.s197forum.com/threads/m...swap-06-gt-500-to-the-wheels-for-5000.138214/

As for SCCA, I was doing a lot of track time with PCA and the BMW club. Started back in 92-94 running vintage at Laguna Seca. I bought a Car, had Steeda prep it and went to an SCCA school . Got my license and ran regionals for 3 races, 8 National races and then the Runoffs. Just like Borris Said and most other drivers.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors