The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clear Bra - Yes or No?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who is going to put a clear bra on their BOSS?

I never had one on my Cobra but had friends that did and it looked ok and seemed to help with the rock chips. What do ya'll think?

I plan on having the front bumper,valance,headlights done....not sure if I will do the hood...I will either do the whole hood or nothing on the hood...I don't want avisible line.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I am definitely planning on having one installed, including the "front strip" for the hood. Rocks are everywhere on the highways here in AZ, not to mention ones that get kicked at you on the track!

I'm planning on adding a clear bra within the first couple of weeks of owning the car. I've never had one installed before but I've seen them on other cars and they are hard to notice unless you are standing right next to the car.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I am. I've had it on four other cars. I can't believe the stuff that come flying at the front of the car - and leaves no mark.

One thing to keep in mind on this topic is that rocks will hit many other places on your car. I have rock chips on the front of my roofline in addition to the mid-hood area. I also have them on the front fenders just above the tire. One of the worst places on the S197 is the "fake" cooling ducts just ahead of the rear wheels. It's the flared area just behind the doors. That area is really sandblasted on my GT500 through the clearcoat.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I, like you Gary, have had chips all over the car, not just the front, but definitely the rear fenders as you stated. I'm glad you mentioned it because I likely will get one now. A very good idea.

I swear by the stuff!When I get my L.S. the 1st thing I am doing is having my polisher Polish my car .The 2nd is putting on the clear bra !Than I will be ready to go for a ride .If you do get a chip. Get DR.COLOR CHIP for touch ups .A great product.
I use it on my cars .
I do every leading edge on my cars .Including a small section of the roof.I also do the rockers , behind the front and rear wheels.It is a wonderful product.Make sure you find a really good installer.You do need to replace it every 2-3 years .
Good luck!

GA
ufnavy06 said:
I, like you Gary, have had chips all over the car, not just the front, but definitely the rear fenders as you stated. I'm glad you mentioned it because I likely will get one now. A very good idea.

I had weeds growing up through my engine compartment after a 6-month deployment when I parked in long-term parking. ;D

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
PJWANNABE said:
ufnavy06 said:

I had weeds growing up through my engine compartment after a 6-month deployment when I parked in long-term parking. ;D

Fortunately, I have my fiancee and my parents to drive my MINI and my dad sold my Mustang to be my down payment on a Boss, so no weeds for me. I'd be upset though because then they'd be growing through my garage! Not good!

roketman said:
I swear by the stuff!When I get my L.S. the 1st thing I am doing is having my polisher Polish my car .The 2nd is putting on the clear bra !Than I will ready to go for a ride .If you do get a chip. Get DR.COLOR CHIP for touch ups .A great product.
I use it on my cars .
I do every leading edge on my cars .Including a small section of the roof.I also do the rockers , behind the front and rear wheels.It is a wonderful product.Make sure you find a really good installer.You do need to replace it every 2-3 years .
Good luck!

Are there certain brands better than others?

GA
ufnavy06 said:
PJWANNABE said:
ufnavy06 said:

Fortunately, I have my fiancee and my parents to drive my MINI and my dad sold my Mustang to be my down payment on a Boss, so no weeds for me. I'd be upset though because then they'd be growing through my garage! Not good!

I had a 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass. The great thing about those older cars is that you could open the hood, pull the weeds out, start her up, and go. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors